N. Records - urgent help needed

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Luca722
Rookie
Rookie

N. Records - urgent help needed

Post by Luca722 »

I posted a topic regarding websites that offer Naturalization Records; however, no one replied. So here I am again ...

I'm last on the the FOIA list, aprx. 15 months backed up. I'm in a rush here, so I'm about to use one of these websites that offer Naturalization Records. They claim to present the records/cert. within 3 months.

Does anyone have any experience/advice on this before I commit to the $200 fee?

Here are the sites:

www.italiandualcitizen...m/id60.htm

www.italiamerica.org/id6.htm

Thanks
AnotherCitizenToBe
Rookie
Rookie

Re: N. Records - urgent help needed

Post by AnotherCitizenToBe »

Luca,

What do you know about your ancester's naturalization?

Do you know for certain if he/she did in fact naturalize?

Do you have any idea where he/she may have done so? Which State? County?

Any idea when? Can you narrow it down to within a decade?

What have you done so far to locate these records?
Luca722
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Luca722 »

Hi AnotherCitizen,

I have NARA records of my GGF's Intention, Petition, Declaration and Oath. I know the exact date, State, County, etc.

I brought these to the Consulate; however, he needs USCIS certified documentation/proof that he became a citizen.

As I mentioned in the original post, I sent a request to the FOIA including copies of the NARA records hoping it would speed up the process. I called them Friday - the wait is 15 months.

I'm stuck waiting unless I use one of the sites I noted above. They claim to produce USCIS records within 3-4 months. With a $200 fee, and with no clear evidence they're legit, I'm a little reluctant .. and confused.
Gildone
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gildone »

Did he file his application through the local county court? If so, they may have a naturalization record.
Luca722
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Luca722 »

Hi Gildone,

If he did file through the court and they have his record, would this pass for the Consulate?

Thanks.
Luca
Gildone
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gildone »

If they can provide a certified copy of his naturalization record, I would think that it would. If nothing else, it's worth a shot.
Luca722
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Luca722 »

Gildone,

I just checked the website for the MA District Court. They only have records from the past five years. All records are with NARA and the USCIS.

It looks as though I have to go through the USCIS.

Has anyone used the websites listed above to obtain certificates from the USCIS? And if so, how long did it take?

Thanks
davidlatour
Rookie
Rookie

Post by davidlatour »

i just got the naturalization record for my great grandfather from the Mass archives. He naturalized in Worcester county in 1944 and they were able to send me a certified copy. You should give that a shot.
Surnames: Campaniello - Ferraro - Paliano - Basile - Benvenuto - Rigieri
Luca722
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Luca722 »

Thanks, Davidlatour. I missed typed my original post. I meant to refer to Naturalization Certificate, not "Records". I have all the certified records from the NARA (Arrival, Declaration, Intention, Oath) but they do not have Naturalization Certificates, which you need in most Consulates, particularly in my case, Boston. The USCIS is the only agency that has these records.