emigration, inmigration, naturalization

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mimifo

emigration, inmigration, naturalization

Post by mimifo »

:? My greatgrand father left Italy probable from Genova in 1760
were can I find ship records?

He was born in Finale Ligure 1732 approx. his greatgrandfather was born in Finalborgo, Finale Ligure. I think they were all ligurians or savonese for four generations. I'm looking for my ancestors and my roots .
AnotherCitizenToBe
Rookie
Rookie

Re: emigration, inmigration, naturalization

Post by AnotherCitizenToBe »

Is this request at all related to seeking Italian citizenship jure sanguinis? If so, bad news is in the air...

Otherwise, this Ancestry.com site, http://www.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=7486, may be helpful: "About Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 1500s-1900s
Updated annually, this database is an index to passengers who arrived in United States and Canadian ports from the 1500s through the 1900s. It contains listings of approximately 4,588,000 individuals and references thousands of different records compiled from everything from original passenger lists to personal diaries. For each individual listed, you may find the following information: name, age, year and place of arrival, and the source of the record."
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

A complementary website is www.findmypast.com. the dates range from 1538 to the present time. iIt is a paying site but does furnish initial information like ancestry.com free and you can pay per search. The website is English. =Peter=
peggymckee
Elite
Elite

Post by peggymckee »

Are you sure you don't mean 1860? All the best, Peg
Surnames: Bertellotti - Ridolfi - Marchi
AnotherCitizenToBe
Rookie
Rookie

Post by AnotherCitizenToBe »

peggymckee wrote:Are you sure you don't mean 1860? All the best, Peg
FWIW, even 1860 is prior to the unification of Italy. As aluded to in my previous post, persons who were not present at the time of unification were not granted citizenship in the new country we know as Italia today.

Not present at the time of unification = no citizenship = nothing to pass on jure sangiunis.

Such is my understanding.