Tracing my elusive Great-Great-Great Grandfather in Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Tracing my elusive Great-Great-Great Grandfather in Italy

Post by JamesBianco »

Apparently my Bianco family moved around a lot in Italy. Here is the information:

Luigi Bianco
, son of Diego Bianco
Born about 1833
married (unable to find record)
Grazia Siniscalchi daughter of Nicolo

This is what I have been able to come up with on their family:

i. STILLBORN BIANCO, b. 01 Sep 1867, Spadafora, Messina, Sicilia.
ii. PAOLINA BIANCO, b. 27 Jul 1868, Spadafora, Messina, Sicilia.
iii. ROSA BIANCO, b. 27 Jul 1868, Spadafora, Messina, Sicilia.
iv. PAOLINO "PAOLO" BIANCO, b. 03 Aug 1870, Novara di Sicilia,
v. GIUSEPPE BIANCO, b. 06 Nov 1872, Novara di Sicilia, Messina, Sicilia.

The first time I find them anywhere is on the birth record of their child born in Spadafora. There is a very kind lady who has extracted the records and has them online. She assured me the only time the family is mentioned is for the three births listed above. They were not from Spadafora. They were also not (originally) from Novara di Sicilia.

Grazia Siniscalchi was said to have been born (on one of the records) in Scilla, Calabria. I could not find Luigi listed anywhere in their records either .

I just don't know where he came from! Birth records from the first two births do not list birthplaces for either parent. Neither do the ones from Novara di Sicilia.

I don't know if and when they even left Novara di Sicilia. Their son Paolino was my great-great grandfather. He married in Bianco Nuovo, Calabria in 1894. I have a record from the Stato for this, and it only lists his birthplace as Novara di Sicilia.

Does anyone have any suggestions? As you can imagine, given that this is my Bianco line I want desperately to find out where we come from originally.

I am really frustrated.

Thanks !

Jim
Essgee
Master
Master

Re: Tracing my elusive Great-Great-Great Grandfather in Ital

Post by Essgee »

Longshot that probably doesn't apply. One town in Calabria had both surnames of Bianco and Siniscalachi:

Roggiano Gravina.

It is quite a distance from Scillia so the likelihood is near zero, but thought I would send anyway.

Have a great day.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Jim - did you check the census films for Spadafora

Riveli 1748 VAULT INTL Film 2101222 Item 4
Riveli 1811 VAULT INTL Film 2160321 Item 3
Riveli 1811 (indice) VAULT INTL Film 2151777 Item 2
Riveli 1815 FHL INTL Film 2185409 Item 2

I know these only cover to 1815 but maybe you can find Diego there - might give you some clues? I know you're very thorough so you may have already viewed these.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Hi James,
In some parish records I have seen notations regarding the parish of origin. Especially in marriage records but also in the Stato delle anime. I am surprised the lady in Spadafora (?) didn't have suggestions of his origin. Usually the locals can tell you if it was in the vicinity so he probably came from further away. Did you ask if the old Foglio di famiglia, or Registro del Popolazione still exists? These records usually list the town of birth.
A researcher located near the Provincial Archives would be your best bet. They can search many towns on the same day and , in my experience, have a pretty good idea of where to look.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Essgee Thanks for that new possible town, I will definitely write it down to check for a possible connection! :)

Elizabeth I haven't actually checked those films, mainly because the Spadafora researcher told me they were not listed before 1867 in any records, and since she has extracted 1820-1871 I pretty much dismissed Spadafora as Luigi's place of origin. Who can say though that his father or grandfather weren't from the town. I might need to order the films someday.

Ann, actually this lady is in the US and has extracted from microfilm, I haven't had any contact directly with anyone from Spadafora. You are most likely correct, often in the church records, if someone is not a native it is mentioned, along with the native town. I do not know where they were married, certainly not in Spadafora, Novara di Sicilia or even Scilla (Grazia's claimed birthplace)

I wonder if the Registro del Popolazione from any one of the three towns might shed some light on their origins. I wouldn't even know how to ask for that record. I am wondering where Luigi died, I have even entertained the thought that he followed his son Paolino to Bianco Nuovo or perhaps brought him there as a child. If I remember correctly, on Paolino's 1894 marriage it should say where his parents were living or last lived. The extract of his marriage the Stato sent me does not even reveal his parents names, only that he was born in Novara di Sicilia.

Perhaps I should hire someone to go to Bianco and look at the original (the LDS has not filmed as far as 1894) and see what it says about his parents residence at the time of his marriage.

Thanks everyone for being so helpful!

Jim
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

I could call them if you like and see if they have the Register. PM me the details.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.