Ellis Island Manifests

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
Fugie
Rookie
Rookie

Ellis Island Manifests

Post by Fugie »

Can anyone advise me how to save a manifest from the Ellis Island website to my computer?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: Ellis Island Manifests

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Fugie,

When you get to the manifest you want to save, click the enlarge button. When that screen comes up.......right click on the address and select copy......open note pad or word and paste the link there. Ellis Island has the save as picture blocked. But if you save the link to a word processing program you will always have the link. If it's a 2 page manifest then you have to do the same thing for each page.
Fugie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fugie »

Thank you for your suggestion for the quick link; however, I was looking to save the image of the manifest. I was able to do it in July 2007 but I cannot remember how I did it. In July I saved the image to my documents and then was able to print the document.
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

I use my print screen key and paste it in MSPaint. I then crop the image to eliminate the unnecessary parts and save it to my computer. It does work for the manifests and the records.
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Forgot to add that not all websites work with this process but at least you can try.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
eyetalgal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by eyetalgal »

I open a new write email, then simply drag the englarged image into the email. From there you can save it to your computer.
Fugie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fugie »

Thanks for the suggestions. It is so great to be able to save these manifests in a document file and then be able to print them. Although you might need a magnifing glass to read the manifest, you still have a piece of history.

Appreciate all your help
JoAnnC

Post by JoAnnC »

Fugie,

I understand wanting to download the manifests from the Ellis Island Site. However, I purchased the manifests for both my grandparents immigration from Sicily in 1904 and 1912. There is nothing like the "real thing". While they were expensive (each page cost $75.00 when I did it and there were 3 pages for each manifest), it was so worth it to be able to read the detail. Not to mention the page that I call "The idiot page". It's actually the capitan's sworn statement page. The things they swore to were apalling!

My grandsons have used the manifests in their socials studies classes for their Ellis Island Days. Many of those children will never have an opportunity to see the "Real McCoy." It's worth it for your family and future generations. - JoAnnC
cfbandit

Post by cfbandit »

The way I've always done it (at least until I can purchase the real thing), was to search through my temporary internet files until I can find the graphic, and copy that to a real location on my hard drive. (In XP, you need to search your local settings folder/temporary internet files/content.ie5)

They're very helpful so you can zoom in and out, add lines to make it easier to read, etc.

But I agree with JoAnnC, that there really is nothing like the real thing. I have the records of my grandparents and several of their kids - I order one or two a year and just keep steadily building a stack of them. They look so much nicer - on nice paper, not cropped or cut or creased because they're larger, etc.