chiarmonte

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
moxie

chiarmonte

Post by moxie »

can anyone tell me what it means? what you can find on the people with the last name? my grandma had that last name, but she died before i was born. all my dad says he really remembers about her is that she made awesome spaghetti sauce. which doesn't help me.
thanks in advance.
moxie

Re: chiarmonte

Post by moxie »

By the way, my grandma's name was Rose.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Hi Moxie,

Welcome to the forum. The name is probably Chiaramonte or Chiaramonti. The name Chiarmonte doesn't exist in Italy. Many people with the name Chiaramonte came to the US. Was that your grandmother's maiden name or her married name? Do you have any idea when she came from Italy? What was your grandfather's name? Anything else you can tell us will help find out more about her.
moxie

Post by moxie »

It was probably her married name, because there are people I've met who I'm actually distant cousins with, who look like people in my family, and they all have that last name. I think that either she divorced my grandfather or he died before her. Or both. I looked on this one search website and I found a Rose AND a Rosa, but I think it's Rose, because the Rosa was born in 1899 and I find it unlikely that that would be my grandma.
moxie

Post by moxie »

And I'm not exactly sure if she was born in Italy. I think she most likely was.
The thing is, the people I mentioned that were related to us all spelled their names Chiarmonte. So what I think probably happened was that the record-takers, wherever and whenever they came into the country, misspelled it.
i'm italian-lebanese-slovak-irish! the weirdest mix ever created.

moxie

Post by moxie »

I found some people who might be related. I wish it would tell you where in America they ended up living, but I guess the people at Ellis Island had no way of knowing that, lol.

First Name: Rosario
Last Name: Chiarmonte
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian south
Last Place of Residence: Borgetto, Sicily
Date of Arrival: Nov 22, 1910
Age at Arrival: 22y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Perugia
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0001

First Name: Giuseppe
Last Name: Chiarmonte
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Borgetto
Date of Arrival: May 16, 1903
Age at Arrival: 38 y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Belgravia
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0004

It just strikes me as odd how they're both married but yet the spouses aren't listed. There was only one female Chiarmonte but she was from Palermo.

misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Many husbands and wives came at different times. The husbands came first and sent for their wives after they established a place to live. Italian women keep their maiden names and their chikdren were listed under the father's names. Sometimes children were listed under their mother's name.

Try this website. You can search by name, place, etc.

http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/ellisgold.html
moxie

Post by moxie »

The same things are coming up. I know nothing about anyone else with the surname except her, so I'm getting the feeling that she was born soon after they arrived in America, either that or she wasn't registered under that name.

moxie

Post by moxie »

Wait, oh my gosh, I just remembered something.
Chiarmonte is NOT her married name. It was her maiden name. That's why I don't have her last name right now. If it was her married name, it would have been my last name too. One of her brothers or something must have fathered one of those people I'm related to. She married some guy who I don't know anything about whatsoever. So that's really no help.

misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

When do you think Rosa was born?
moxie

Post by moxie »

Well, she was my grandpa's mom, and he was born in 1941. So, probably the early 1900s. I'd say like 1915-ish.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I am reverting to your original inquiry in wanting to know the meaning of the word Chiarmonte and where it may be found since it does not appear to be listed in the Italian Surname Dictionary and must be considered local in origin or "imported" from abroad. In either event The surname has at its base Chiaro or Chiara. both dervied from latin Clarus meaning luminous and resplendent. The name became most popular after Santa Chiara d'Assisi came into vogue.

The surname is listed in the www,familysearch.org website numbering 28 of Sicilian and USA listings and, oddly enough does not show up as chiarmonte whatsoever in t he italian surname distribution website www.gens.labo.net. I am sure you will find other databases thruout the world for other Chiarmonte surnamed persons.=Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I am reverting to your original inquiry in wanting to know the meaning of the word Chiarmonte and where it may be found since it does not appear to be listed in the Italian Surname Dictionary and must be considered local in origin or "imported" from abroad. In either event The surname has at its base Chiaro or Chiara. both dervied from latin Clarus meaning luminous and resplendent. The name became most popular after Santa Chiara d'Assisi came into vogue.

The surname is listed in the www,familysearch.org website numbering 28 of Sicilian and USA listings and, oddly enough does not show up as chiarmonte whatsoever in t he italian surname distribution website www.gens.labo.net. I am sure you will find other databases thruout the world for other Chiarmonte surnamed persons.=Peter=
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Check these manifests and see if anything rings a bell. :wink:

http://ellisisland.jewishgen.org/gold.p ... ECTION=asc
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There are 7 persons surnamed Chiarmonte listed in the ellisiland website and all from Sicily.=Peter=