Can't find information on Grandfather

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
amylaws

Can't find information on Grandfather

Post by amylaws »

I've filed the Form 81 looking for ship/immigration information on my Grandfather, but no information on him can be found even with that form. Can anyone tell me what or where else to try? His record/information can't just disapear, can it?

Thanks,
Amy

outlaws@skybest.com
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Start at the beginning please. Who is he, what entry are you talking about, when did he enter the USA and where did he go to live when he was admitted to the UISA as an immigrant and how did he come, alone or with family.????Peter
amylaws

can't find info on grandfather

Post by amylaws »

ptimber wrote:Start at the beginning please. Who is he, what entry are you talking about, when did he enter the USA and where did he go to live when he was admitted to the UISA as an immigrant and how did he come, alone or with family.????Peter

Peter,
My Grandfather's name was Francesco Martellacci - came through Ellis Island in 1920 - came alone as far as we know. He ended up living in Chicago but I don't know if that was the first place he lived after he got here.

Thanks,
Amy
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There are 5 Martellacci who entered the USA between 1919 and 1921 with the following first names, Alberto, Angelo, Antonio, Beniamino and Giovanni. Check the manifest for all 5 and see which one was destined to Chicago. Let me know if you run into any problems and I will take a look for you. Its best that you enjoy the search...its an accomplishment. Peter
amylaws

Post by amylaws »

ptimber wrote:There are 5 Martellacci who entered the USA between 1919 and 1921 with the following first names, Alberto, Angelo, Antonio, Beniamino and Giovanni. Check the manifest for all 5 and see which one was destined to Chicago. Let me know if you run into any problems and I will take a look for you. Its best that you enjoy the search...its an accomplishment. Peter
Peter,
I've checked the names you gave me ... nothing. I have a copy of my grandfathers passport ... it's in Italian but I can read his name, looks like he departed from Leghorn Italy ... it says other things of course but I can't read Italian. The date he arrived (if I'm reading it right) says October 20, 1920. I've even tried the "misspelled" names (martellacci) but can't find anything.
Any help would be great.
Thanks,
Amy
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

what does the passport say about place of birth? Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

...and what makes you say he entered at Ellis island? peter
amylaws

Post by amylaws »

ptimber wrote:...and what makes you say he entered at Ellis island? peter

Peter,
If the passport says anything about place of birth, I can't read it. It does say residence was Lucca. I was told by my Aunt that he came in through Ellis Island, and I guess she was told by someone else ... so, I really don't have any proof of him coming into Ellis Island. Everything on the passport is in Italian and I'm clueless as to what it all says. A word on the passport looks like it might say Capanori (???) behind the word nato a (???) does that make any sense?
Thanks,
Amy
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: can't find info on grandfather

Post by suanj »

amylaws wrote:

Peter,
If the passport says anything about place of birth, I can't read it. It does say residence was Lucca. I was told by my Aunt that he came in through Ellis Island, and I guess she was told by someone else ... so, I really don't have any proof of him coming into Ellis Island. Everything on the passport is in Italian and I'm clueless as to what it all says. A word on the passport looks like it might say Capanori (???) behind the word nato a (???) does that make any sense?
Thanks,
Amy
Hi amy: nato=born in Capannori(Lucca province-Tuscany region)..regards, suanj
PS: on ellis island not are traces of Francesco Martellacci in any possible misspelled shape...
amylaws

Re: can't find info on grandfather

Post by amylaws »

suanj wrote:
amylaws wrote:

Peter,
Thanks,
Amy
Hi amy: nato=born in Capannori(Lucca province-Tuscany region)..regards, suanj
PS: on ellis island not are traces of Francesco Martellacci in any possible misspelled shape...

Suanj,

Hi there. What other ports are there that I can check out?
Thanks,
Amy
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi: I do not have idea..please let me know birth data of Francisco, and final destination. From these data the entrance port can be presumed..regards, suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

For my side please let me know when he died and where he died since there is no social security number for him maybe you can get death certificate. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi: in this port of arrival:
Baltimore, 1820-1952
Boston 1848-91, 1902-20
New Orleans 1853-1952
New York City, 1820-46, 1897-1943
Philadelphia 1800-1948
Minor ports, 1820-74 and 1890-1924

are listed only this Martellacci persons(not Francesco):
First Names
All known first names for the surname martellacci (including all dates and locations):

AGNES ALEXANDRA AMELIA ANGELO AURELIO
AURELLIO BENJAMIN BOBBINA CHRISTAPHER CHRISTOPHER
ERCOLE GARIBALDI GEORGE GERARDO GIUSEPPE
JENNIE JULIA LAURA LEAH MARIE
MARTINO MATTHEW NATALINA PIA ROCCO
SISTO STEVEN VINZENZO VITTORIO WARREN

from http://www.genealogy.com/genealogy/8_mg ... 1075025899

Regards, suanj
amylaws

Post by amylaws »

suanj wrote:Hi: I do not have idea..please let me know birth data of Francisco, and final destination. From these data the entrance port can be presumed..regards, suanj
Hi,
His date of birth was 3/31/1902 I'm not sure of final destination, but he was living in Chicago, Illinois when he died. He died 5/25/1948. I have a copy of his death certificate but it doesn't have any kind of information on it that tells anything except cause of death. The parents info that is on the death certificate only says they were from Italy, no town name or anything like that.
Thanks,
Amy
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Try NY office for NARA. Send e-mail to new york.archives@nara.gov and ask them to find Francesco Martellacci, date of birth March 31, 1902, Italy and leave out entry date. If you wish you can write to NARA, 201 Varcik Street, New York, N.Y. 10014-4811. Peter