La familia Valentin (ancestors)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cjramos

La familia Valentin (ancestors)

Post by cjramos »

I'm looking for my ancestors. Great grandfather Avellino Valentin from Sicily...Please help....He left Italy and died in Puerto Rico.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

In Italy you need to know the town of origin in order to locate relatives, documents or records. For your information there are no Valentin surnamed persons in Sicily and there are 173 in other places of Italy and 70% are in the province of Bolzano in 11 towns and villages with persons surnamed Valentin. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: La familia Valentin (ancestors)

Post by suanj »

cjramos wrote:I'm looking for my ancestors. Great grandfather Avellino Valentin from Sicily...Please help....He left Italy and died in Puerto Rico.
Hi: Avellino, and also Valentin are 2 surnames in Italy(not me result Avellino are an first name...).. If Valentin are your surname, this surname not are of Sicily, but tipically and diffused in North Italy..in Sicily are Valentini and Valentino surnames, also Avellino surname..please to specify better...regards, suanj
cjramos

La familia Valentin

Post by cjramos »

In speaking w/my relatives, they said he immigrated from Italy and state that he could of dropped the "i" because his comments were of "Sicily". We think he could of been born around 1873 there abouts. There is word that he left on a boat w/the espanoles. I feel like I am coming on such a stumbling block, but will not give up. I will try searching under both last names and will try and gather more information. My great grandfather was very private and it is difficult to get information. I appreciate all of your help.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I think they used the Spanish system of putting both the Fathers last name and the mothers last name. So in the Spanish system the last two names would be Avellino Valentin (or Valentini) with the first name missing. But in Italy you need the town of origin and, if you have any photographs, postcards, family stories,relatives. anything that would give a tgown or even a province it would help us help you. Peter
cjramos

La familia Valentin

Post by cjramos »

I will try and gather more information. I believe the town of origin was Palermo but will further investigate. I do appreciate any little bit of help.
Thanks, CJ
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

HI: sure Valentino surname has present in Costa Rica around 1920..in this ship's manifest are an Auriel Valentino, from Puerto Rico but indian race
http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/searc ... 0384040094

Peter: in which port disembarked Italian emigrating that went to Puerto Rico?
Regards, suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The Capital of Puerto Rico is San Juan which is a port city but its out of the way for normal immigration pattern which makes it difficult since he could have first gone to CUBA and then went to Puerto Rico since many italians went there to Cuba. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

ptimber wrote:The Capital of Puerto Rico is San Juan which is a port city but its out of the way for normal immigration pattern which makes it difficult since he could have first gone to CUBA and then went to Puerto Rico since many italians went there to Cuba. Peter
OK: thanks Peter!!regards, suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Raffaella he is not an INDIAN he is a native of Puerto rico Indian which means he was born in Puerto Rico of native stock (not spanish). Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

ptimber wrote:Raffaella he is not an INDIAN he is a native of Puerto rico Indian which means he was born in Puerto Rico of native stock (not spanish). Peter
Ok, sure and just Peter!! I meant alone to say that the Valentino last name existed to Puerto Rico..regards, suanj
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, I've found this new, perhaps can interest you: from 1884 to 1901, only 380 Italians were emigrated to Cuba, nearly all of italy north origin and for the majority of male sex (312 men, 68 women), only 40 arrived directly from Italy, the others came from USA(185), from Mexico 48 , from South America(34), from Spain (29), the other Antilless (21) etc....regards, suanj
nautili

Immigration Pattern

Post by nautili »

A question Peter. First, I apologize for interrupting the posting on the Valentin surname but your comment on immigration patterns has made me curious. My great grandfather (surname Dante) is believed to have moved from Italy to Hawaii (before 1903 when my grandfather was born in Honolulu). Do you think it is probable that he came through the east coast U.S. or some other route on his way to Hawaii?

Thanks,
Jon Dante
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Could be since the Panama Canal was not open but many people used to go by road from the Atlantic to the Pacific where the Panam Canal was evetually built so the best thing is to check the ww.ellisisland.org website and check . But there are many ports he could have come into on the Atlatic side like Boston or New orleans or even Mexico for that matter. He could also have come in via the suez canal to the pacific and Hawaii. Peter
cjramos

La Familia Valentin

Post by cjramos »

suanj wrote:Hi, I've found this new, perhaps can interest you: from 1884 to 1901, only 380 Italians were emigrated to Cuba, nearly all of italy north origin and for the majority of male sex (312 men, 68 women), only 40 arrived directly from Italy, the others came from USA(185), from Mexico (48), from South America(34), from Spain (29), the other Antilless (21) etc....regards, suanj

Suanj: 380 Italians emigrated to Cuba. Your other totals arriving where? I was told that my great grandfather landed in Puerto Rico w/people from Spain. Are you stating that these men & women arrived in Puerto Rico?

cjramos