Nara Form 81

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jonim119

Nara Form 81

Post by jonim119 »

I have just received a reply back from NARA regarding an inquiry about trying to find my grandmother's entry to the US. I completed Form 81, as much as I knew, but they said without knowing what port she arrived, they could not help me. When I previously told the board I didn't know what port she arrived at, they said to go ahead and fill in as much as I did know.

Now what do I do? I cannot find her on Ellis Island - and she died in 1938 so she is not listed in death registry (I don't think she had a SS #). I know suanj found a Nicolena Melone in Ellis Island, but I don't think that it's the same one. Where do I go from here?? Thank you.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

when she came to the USA where did she go to live ? It may be possible to send an e-mail to the NARA office nearest where she went to live as thisis a good way to locate information. It seems that the local NARA offices are better at finding records than the national officein Washington, D.C. Please let me know where she went to live in terms of a city or state. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, that record is only present similar name on ellis island, I has still tried, but I have not found other records...sorry, regards, suanj
jonim119

Peter and Suanj

Post by jonim119 »

Thank you both for your replies. I will still keep checking. I received an extensive reply from a NARA technician. He more or less suggested that I find her on a census record. My trouble is..I'm not sure of where she came to live in the US. Also, he mentioned Naturalization records. I don't think they ever became citizens. On a later census record (1920) it states AL (for alien). I'll keep searching; thanks for your help.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Is Melone her maiden name.? Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

ptimber wrote:Is Melone her maiden name.? Peter
Hi Peter: name is Nicolina(Lena diminutive) Malone coming from L'Aquila area around 1909/1910...good luck, regards, suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There is alos NICOLINA MELONE, Viale Lincoln 81100, Caserta, (CE), Campania region. This area is near Naples. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Dear Peter, I task that Jonim search ship's manifest ... :roll: suanj
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Peter and Suanj

Post by suanj »

jonim119 wrote:Thank you both for your replies. I will still keep checking. I received an extensive reply from a NARA technician. He more or less suggested that I find her on a census record. My trouble is..I'm not sure of where she came to live in the US. Also, he mentioned Naturalization records. I don't think they ever became citizens. On a later census record (1920) it states AL (for alien). I'll keep searching; thanks for your help.
Hi Jonim, for my experience, I can say that when a record is not found the cases they are two:
- or the surname to are misspelled(frequently)
- or the supplied data are not exact (example: first name, birthdate, year of emigration etc..)
In your case I would want to ask: you are sure that the firts name of Malone is Nicolina(Nicola to female)? Lena is a frequent diminutive in Italy but of first name Elena, for Nicolina the diminutive to are Lina or Nicla..Regards and good luck, suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Jonim why not write a letter to the Nicolina Melone in Casewrta and ask if she is related to you. You have evrything to gain and nothing to lose. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Jonim why not write a letter to the Nicolina Melone in Casewrta and ask if she is related to you. You have evrything to gain and nothing to lose. Peter
jonim119

Form 81

Post by jonim119 »

Peter and Suanj: As always, thanks for searching and supplying me with info. I will do as you say. This can be very frustrating at times. On a couple death certificates for my uncles (whom I did not know about) her maiden name is spelled numerous different ways: maelone, meloni, maloni, malone. My father had approx. 7 brothers and sisters that we were never aware of. I found their names in my mother's Bible and sent away for their death certificates. Even on my g'mother's death certificate, her name is listed as Lena Fiorini, nee Malone. That's also how her father's name is spelled. I'm certain that my g'mother spoke no English, so Lord knows! how they name was translated. Thanks again, I'll keep searching. Keep up the good work - you two are a valuable asset to all who seek their heritage.
jonim119

Nara 81

Post by jonim119 »

Peter - Sorry - but I just noticed your earlier reply. I am certain she went to live in New Jersey (Newark). My father was born in 1910 and all his SS application form lists the above as his birthplace. I wrote to Neward and they have no record. I checked w/Cincinnati, Ohio (that's where his SS# was issued). They have no birth record either. Sooooooooooo - I have lots of problems - can't find where my father was born - etc, etc. Thanks for your help.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Did you ask social security for a copy of his opriginal ss-5 application which has all the information as to parentage, birth and place of birth??? Did you write to Nicolina Melone in Italy since she might be a relative? You went this far and as you know it is always the one more step....Peter
jonim119

Form 81

Post by jonim119 »

Peter - I did receive a copy of his original SS-5 form. Yes it does state all that you said = it lists Newark as his place of birth. He got his SS# in 1942 = he was born in 1910. It lists his mother's name as Lena Milone. I just got the address for Nicolina Melone you suggested I write to. I will try that. Thanks!