Looking for Terracciano relatives from Pomigliano

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
catsmeow2525

Looking for Terracciano relatives from Pomigliano

Post by catsmeow2525 »

I am new to this wonderful site. I hope someone can help in my search.

I am looking for any info regarding my grandparents on my father's side and any other relatives here in the U.S. My grandfather was Pasquale Terracciano and grandmother's maiden name was Giovanna or Giovanina Russo. They came from Pomigliano, a small town near Naples. On the manifest, my grandmother's father was listed as Salvatore. They settled in Brooklyn.

I am pretty sure I have located my grandmother's arrival at Ellis Island along with my father and 2 aunts , Carmine, Carmela and Maria. They arrived here in 1913 on the Hamburg and were going to an address on Dean Street in Brooklyn, N.Y. In the entry on the ship's manifest, was info that my grandmother also had come in 1906 and remained here until 1908. I was able to find an entry for Pasquale Terracciano 19096, but his wife (my grandmother?) was listed as Maria. I am hoping that Maria was a middle or nick name.

Everyone in my family, actually on both sides, is dead and so have no one to ask. I have very vague memories, but nothing substantial. My father seemed to be estranged, for some reason, from his family, so there is not much info for me to go on.

I guess I'd like to meet some of my cousins that are here in the U.S. and also find out info regarding my family in Italy. I do remember an Aunt Bridget, an Uncle Sal and an Uncle Phil. I also had a cousin Dominick.

So if any one can be of help, please let me know.

Thank you

Kathleen
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Looking for Terracciano relatives from Pomigliano

Post by Biff83 »

Kathleen,

Hello and welcome to Italian Genealogy!

Lots of great folks here who are willing to help you.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

1913 manifest for reference, lines 3 to 6
Page 1
Page 2
Giovanna Russo
---age 29 , born Pomigliano, neaarest relative in Italy, father Salvatore, previously in Brooklyn 1906-1908
daughter Carmela Terracciano
--age 7, born Brooklyn NY
son Carmine
--age 4, born Pomigliano
daughter Maria
--age 2, born Pomigliano
Destination Brooklyn to join husband/father Pasquale Terracciano on Dean St.

Biff
catsmeow2525

Post by catsmeow2525 »

Thanks Biff, I had seen the entry, but didn't see that Carmela had been born in Brooklyn. It's a solid lead and now I will send away to NYC Vital Statistics to see if I can get birth record. If I am successful, I might be able to get birthdays for all three on Carmela's birth certificate. As a child I never heard mention of a Carmela. My father was listed as Carmine on several records, but when I sent for my birth certificate, they wouldn't give it to me stating that Carmine was not the name on the record. On my parent's marriage license, he is listed as Carmelo. Something strange with all these names. I also heard him called Mino, short for Carmine, I assume.

BTW Where is this site located? I am here in Chicago and it is now 2:24 pm, but I see on the site it is after 7pm.

Again thanks,
Kathleen
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

You're welcome, Kathleen.

The time you see displayed is in GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). You can change this by going to your account and opening preferences. There are folks who post here from all over the States, Europe, So America, Australia and New Zeeland.

Thought it might also be helpful if I posted Pasquale and Maria Giovanna's other manifest.
1906 manifest lines 24 and 25
Pasquale
--age 36, yob about 1870
Maria
--age 22, yob about 1884
Last residence: Pomigliano
Destination: Brooklyn NY to join cousin Vincenzo Papaccio at 2120 Dean St
catsmeow2525

Post by catsmeow2525 »

It's unbelievable; I have been looking at that manifest, the 1913 one many times and never noticed Carmela had been born in Brooklyn.

I guess my grandmother must have gone back and forth between Pomigliano and Brooklyn several times. Quite the jet setter for that time. I don't know if I can assume that he remained in Brooklyn while she went back and forth.

There is a street in Pomigliano named Via Felice Terracciano; perhaps it was a prominent family there at that time at least. Perhaps more might be around in the town because of this.

There is a good chance that Vincenzo Papaccio came from Pomigliano too.
I'll have to follow up on that lead.

I am hoping to go to Italy in the near future to investigate further, but need to learn more about the language.

Thanks again,
Kathleen
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Kathleen,

If you check the 1913 manifest again, you'll see numbers above the information for Carmine in the occupation area. These are naturalization notations and the year appears to be 1936. In doing some checking on the Italian Genealogical Group's web site, I located this record from the Eastern District Naturalizations.

Name: Terracciano Carmine
Year: 1936
Petition Volume: 788
Petition Number: 225708

edited to add following
Also located this record on footnote.com. I do not have a subscription but will list the detail on the record. Hopefully, someone can post the image of the file card.

Name: Carmine Terracciano, age 26, year of birth about 1911
Address: 1137 71st St, Brooklyn
Date issued: 15 Jun 1937
Issued at: US District Court at Brooklyn
Certificate Number: 225708 or 225718

Biff
catsmeow2525

Post by catsmeow2525 »

So he did become a citizen. I was hoping he hadn't as I was interested in dual citizenship. Since my mother was born here, obviously she was a citizen. But I don't think any of my grandparents were. In any event, I doubt if I can pursue dual citizenship as he became a citizen way before I was born. :( I'll live.

What I recently learned is that there were, along with Japanese interment camps, Italian interment camps. I would think many Italians rushed to become citizens around the time of WWII.

Your stats on him are correct, that is the address on the SS app where they lived after he and my mother married. He was born either in 1909 or 1910. Some records say one year, others say the other. Perhaps, he himself, didn't know for sure.

I looked up the cousin info on Ellis Island web site, but not sure if I have the right people. The handwriting on the manifest is atrocious, but I think I read he was going to Bayonne, NJ. I don't remember hearing about any relatives in Jersey. Vincenzo was 15 in 1906 and arrived several months after my grandmother and I think he was going to Bayonne. I looked up his father, Nicola, and he also went to Jersey.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Kathleen,

I might be reaching here but there was enough circumstantial evidence that I thought I'd post. No Carmine or Carmelo though. Strange.

1920 census for Pasquale Terracino and family
Brooklyn, Kings, New York
51 De Graw
Pasquale Terracino, head, age 49, yob about 1871, immigration year 1906
Jennie (Giovanna?) Terracino, wife, age 33, yob about 1887
Millie (Carmela?) Terracino, daughter, age 13, yob about 1907, born Italy??, immigration year 1906
Antony Terracino, son???, age 60??, immigration year 1909
Mary Terracino, daughter, age 8, year of birth about 1912, born New York??
Salvatore (Uncle Sal?) Terracino, son, age 6, born New York
Philip (Uncle Phil?) Terracino, son, age 4, born New York
Rose Terracino, daughter, age 2, born New York
Bidgeta (Aunt Bridget?) Terracino, son??, age 3/12

Biff
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Here's the same family in the 1930 census. There's no Millie/Carmela but she likely was either married or living on her own. Looks like the age for son Anthony in the 1920 census was 10, not 60, daughter Mary in this census shows birthplace as Italy, and Bridget shows as a daughter.

1930 census for Pasquale Terechiano and family
Brooklyn, Kings, New York
108 De Graw
Pasquale Terechiano, head, age 60, yob about 1870, immigration 1911
Jennie Terechiano, wife, age 46, yob about 1884, immigration 1913
Anthony Terechiano, son, age 20, yob about 1910, born Italy, immigration 1913 (could this be Carmine/Carmelo)
Salvator Terechiano, son, age 16, born New York
Mary Terechiano, daughter, age 17, born Italy, immigration 1913
Felice (Phil) Terechiano, son 13, born New York
Rose Terechiano, daughter, age 12, born New York
Bridgie Terechiano, daughter, age 10, born New York
Anthony Terechiano, son, age 9, born New York (Two Anthony's??)
Louis Terechiano, son, age 8, born New York

Biff
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Possible marriage record for Mary Terracciano
From IGG:

Name: Teraciano Mary
Date: Feb 20 1933
Certificate Number: 10229
County: Kings
Unfortunately, no groom's name is linked.

Possible death record for Pasquale Terracciano

Name: Terracino Pasquale
Date: Sept 15 1942
Certificate Number: 17336
County: Kings
Year of birth: 1875 - 1876

Biff
catsmeow2525

Post by catsmeow2525 »

Bif,

I am so impressed! I don't know how to thank you.

Yes, there was Aunt Millie. It is interesting and perhaps a bit sad that the given names were so readily Americanized. However, my grandfather's name was kept Italian - Pasquale. It makes sense now. When I was about 10 my father brought up to my mother that in the hospital when my brother was born, she betrayed him by giving Patrick for his name when she was supposed to give the name Pasquale.

It is possible that my father Carmine, was Anthony; the age was right.

Now I understand why I couldn't find them on the 1930 census. In Italian ci or cci is pronounced chi and so the census taker used the spelling he or she knew.

I didn't know their address. Does De Graw refer to their street?

Thank you so much for all the info.

Kathleen
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Kathleen,

Happy to have been of help. Like you I had a hard time locating the census records due to the misspelling of the family surname.

De Graw is the street in Brooklyn where they lived.

If we've located the right family, then the Anthony on the 1920 census and the first Anthony on the 1930 census must be your grandfather Carmine/Carmelo. Perhaps his baptismal name was Carminantonio?

Located this circa 1950s pic of Via Felice Terracciano

Biff
catsmeow2525

Post by catsmeow2525 »

Wow! It is a fairly undeveloped street even for the 1950's. The picture, however, makes the whole thing more real. Up to now it was just a steet I found on Google Earth. I wonder if it was truly named after someone in my father's immediate family. I do remember, very vaguely, that they were bakers in Italy.

I can't wait to go to Italy to see it for myself, but I unfortunately I have to wait until the fall at least.

How did you ever find this picture? It is wonderful!

Kathleen
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

catsmeow2525 wrote:How did you ever find this picture? It is wonderful!
Kathleen
I did a google search on "Via Felice Terracciano." One of the hits was for ebay's Italian site.

Biff