Franciulla/Francula family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
juventusfan1983

Franciulla/Francula family

Post by juventusfan1983 »

Hello everyone!

I am new to the forum and I have always been interested in my family history but do not know much about genealogy.

I live in the region of Istria/Istra, Croatia which was a part of Italy until the end of WWII. The region has gone back and forth between many countries in recent history and that is why many surnames can be found in different forms. My family's surname is FRANCULA but I know for a fact that it also used to be spelled FRANCIULLA. The last name differs between these two depending on who the region belonged to at the time.

My great grandfather Giovanni (Ive) Franciulla (Francula) is from a small town called Rakalj (formerly known as Castelnuovo d'Arsa). We are the only Francula family there but I found out that we originate and still have some family in a town called Sutivanac. Sutivanac literally means San Giovanni in Italian so the town might have had this name in the past. Church records in the town indicate a Francula family starting back around 1850. I was told by my grandfather while he was alive that we might originally be from Parma in Italy but I don't have anything to back this info up.

So, if anyone knows anything about the surname: FRANCULA or FRANCIULLA, please let me know.

Thanks ahead!

Paolo
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Franciulla/Francula family

Post by misbris »

Hi and welcome to the forum,

If you use this site, you can see where in Italy the name appears.

http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera.html

It looks like Francullo, Franculli, Franciullo, Franciulli are Italian names.
juventusfan1983

Post by juventusfan1983 »

Thanks Misbris!
simica

Post by simica »

juventusfan1983 wrote:Thanks Misbris!
Hello !

I live in Sutivanac, and my surname is also Francula. I am also interested in my family history. We are so near each other, but unfortunatly I don't know you personaly. My family told me that in Rakalj live some family with Francula surname, and probablly we are some long relatives, ( and also I know that we have in Stinjan, Rasa, Labin ).

So, You can contact me.
Zlatko