Not sure where to begin with this one.....

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cnk2186

Not sure where to begin with this one.....

Post by cnk2186 »

For most of his life, my dad thought that he was 100% Polish. However, some years back, when my grandfather died, his brother, (my dad's uncle and my great uncle) came out for the funeral; while out here, he mentioned to my mom that in fact the family, at least on the paternal side, was actually Italian, more specifically they were Sicilian. He went on to say that he didn't know much about the family's history, mainly because it wasn't that important to anybody, but what he could say was that originally, the family left Sicily sometime in during the 19th century, went to Poland, and changed their last name. The only other thing he said was he thought that the original last name was similar to the Polish one, and that the family ran either a tea house or a series of tea houses in Sicily.

Unfortunately, this was some years back; I was too young to really understand or care. My great uncle died back in 2000 so I never even got the chance to ask him if he knew anything more.

In the past couple of years, I've become pretty interested in my family's ancestry, both on my paternal and maternal sides. Thus far, my maternal side has been pretty easy, since my mom's family is from England and Scotland where ancestral records are far superior to those of eastern or southern Europe; futhermore, she has spent considerable time researching her family over the years so that's been a big help. Unfortunately, my paternal side is a different story; most of my dad's paternal relatives are long gone so there is no hope of asking any of them, furthermore, like other families, nobody ever really seemed to care about their ancestors.

I've tried to do a little bit of research on my own but at this point I'm not sure where I would turn to. I found one guy in Poland, actually a physicist, with the same last name as me, who looks really Italian (at least in the one picture I found of him.) I contacted him last year and got a response; he didn't really seem to know a whole lot about his immediate family or the name either. Unfortunately, he never got back to me on my second email. I have a bit of a hunch that I may be related to this guy, not so much because of his picture or last name necessarily, but because he and one of my great uncles have the same first name; I've heard that in many families, first names are often reoccurring. So this is about as far as I have gotten from my research into the whole Polish connection. The problem for me begins when my family was still in Europe.

As far as the whole tea house thing goes, does anybody happen to have any knowledge about this or tea houses in general in Sicily?

Third, I was curious if anybody happened to know where I could possibly find the the family tree of Giuseppe Garabaldi? This is kind of a long shot but my dad looks eerily like him and since Garabaldi was such a womanizer, it wouldn't surprise me if I was at all related to him, if what my great uncle said about us being Sicilian was true?

Fourth, how would I go about getting records of any kind from that time period from Sicily? Would the Catholic church in Sicily have them?

Finally, the last name is Kapuscik; are there any Italian last names similar to this common in Sicily? I know this is all kind of a stretch since there is not a whole lot to go on, but I want to see what else I can get to work with.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Not sure where to begin with this one.....

Post by suanj »

In Sicily, it exist the surname: CAPUCCI... so similar....
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi and welcome to the forum. Which relative came to the USA (full name) and about what year? Were they married at the time and had children, if so give the names and approximate ages.

It's best to work back in years and actually find information. I think if you try to start with italian names sounding like the polish surname and work your way forward you're going to run into alot of problems.

If you can give us the info on the first relative coming to the US it might be a good starting point.

Regards,
Elizabeth
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Post by BillieDeKid »

Checking ships manifest there were 4 people with the exact spelling of your surname

1 Kapuscik, Genowzfa - Bondic, Russia-age on arrival 2 - yr of arr. 1912
2 Kapuscik, Katarzyna - Bondic, Russia-age on arrival 23 - yr of arr. 1912
3 Kapuscik, Stefan - Bondic, Russia-age on arrival 0 - yr of arr. 1912
4 Kapuscik, Wladislaw - Bondic, Russia-age on arrival 4 - yr of arr. 1912

Any of these names look familiar?
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

You might want to post a query on the Polish Forum also..

Polish Genealogy Forum

On a positive note, many Polish church records have been filmed by the Mormon Church, if we are able to determine the town in Poland, those could be utilized. The record in Poland would definitely indicate a groom's (on a marriage) town of birth, and in this way we would have where he came from in Italy/Sicily.

Also, keep in mind quite often family myths don't pan out. It is somewhat unusual for a man from Sicily to migrate to Poland in the 19th Century (or before) but certainly not impossible.

Keep us posted!
cnk2186

Post by cnk2186 »

JamesBianco wrote:You might want to post a query on the Polish Forum also..

Polish Genealogy Forum

On a positive note, many Polish church records have been filmed by the Mormon Church, if we are able to determine the town in Poland, those could be utilized. The record in Poland would definitely indicate a groom's (on a marriage) town of birth, and in this way we would have where he came from in Italy/Sicily.

Also, keep in mind quite often family myths don't pan out. It is somewhat unusual for a man from Sicily to migrate to Poland in the 19th Century (or before) but certainly not impossible.

Keep us posted!
Wow, I didn't know the Mormons had put any Polish records on microfilm; that actually might be advantageous for me, although from what I've heard, a lot of records were destroyed in both WW1 and WW2, but I will have to look into it.

As far as the myth thing goes, it is totally possible that what my great uncle heard was not true. I guess if I want to find out for sure I would have to have DNA work done on a sample of my blood; from what I've been told, I guess only men can have their blood tested to find out their paternal ethnicity, something about having an X chromosome.... However, I have at least a good hunch that the story may be true, simply from the fact that my grandfather, and all the pics I have of his brothers all look Italian and not Polish. My brother and dad also have a lot of those kinds of features like somewhat olive skin; my brother does not burn at all when he gets in the son. Plus all three of us have oily skin. Still, I would like to have DNA work done anyways, just to be sure. As far as the guy going from Sicily to Poland, the way my mom described what my great uncle said, the guy took his whole family and left Sicily for some strange reason; it almost sounded like they had to flee for some reason. He said when they got to Poland, they took on a knew name; he believed that the knew name they choose was similar sounding to their original name.

I believe it was my great grandfather and his brother that came over to the United States (the two guys shown in the picture I posted). His name was Peter Kapuscik and his brother's name was Stanley Kapuscik. I think that these two probably were the first ones here because I was browsing on this site:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/search/ ... esults.asp

and I found pretty much all my immediate relatives, including both my grandmother (my grandfather's wife), and my great grandmother (my great grandfather's wife) but I didn't find any info for my great great grandfather or his brother. My dad said that he thinks they both went to Pennsylvania first and worked in the coal mines there for a while, before they moved to Illinois.

BillieDeKid, the names you listed don't sound familiar at all. From what my dad knows and my great uncle told my mom, our line came from southern Poland, not Russia.

I guess I will have to hop on over and register on the Polish board as well. I know that my great grandfather's brother, Stanley, also had children. I'm sure they probably had families of their own that continued to today. Problem is I don't know who they are and haven't had much luck finding out who they are or where they live. :roll:
Tamberino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tamberino »

I do have to say, the part about operating a tea house is somewhat odd. Italians, in general, never really got into tea. Although it is possible they operated on in the English dominated western part of Sicily, such as Marsala. Was anyone in your family naturalized? if so, it would say what town in Poland they came from. From there you can contact the town and see what they have in terms of information about your family. You could also check to see if a Family Center is by you and you could look at whatever records the mormons have on the people of that town,
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

cnk2186 wrote:
Wow, I didn't know the Mormons had put any Polish records on microfilm; that actually might be advantageous for me, although from what I've heard, a lot of records were destroyed in both WW1 and WW2, but I will have to look into it.
They filmed everything they could from the Provincial Archives, Protestant, Catholic and Jewish Church Registers, usually to about the year 1910.

Why don't you tell us what you know and we can try to find the passenger list to determine just where in Poland they came here from. It's always best to work backward. Can you at least provide us with the name of someone in the line born before 1930?
cnk2186

Post by cnk2186 »

All I can tell you is I believe it was my great grandfather, Peter Kapuscik, and his brother, Stanley Kapuscik, were the ones who left Poland and came to the United States. My dad is not 100% certain on this but this is all he can tell me, so I would say go with this since they were pre 1930. My great grandfather would have been born around the late 19th century because my great grandmother, who is listed on the Mormon record site I posted, is shown to have been born in 1894 (this is probably and estimate since her death date shown on the site is off by a few years.)

I'm currently trying to find relatives from my great great uncle's side, Stanley. If there are any still around, which I'm sure there are, they might be able to help me out, but since no one in the family seemed to keep in touch, my dad doesn't even know the names of Stanley's children.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi!
Do you think these could be your relatives?:

1930 United States Federal Census
about Stanley Kapuscik
Name: Stanley Kapuscik
Home in 1930: Chicago, Cook, Illinois
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1892
Birthplace: Poland
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Frances
Race: White

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Stanley Kapuscik 38
Frances Kapuscik 30
Stanley Kapuscik 8/12

in the same manifest there is another Kapuscik:

1930 United States Federal Census
about Peter Kapuscik
Name: Peter Kapuscik
Home in 1930: Chicago, Cook, Illinois
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1890
Birthplace: Poland
Spouse's Name: Julia

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View Image
Peter Kapuscik 40
Julia Kapuscik 38
Edward Kapuscik 15
Stanley Kapuscik 13
Leo Kapuscik 11
Helen Kapuscik 8
Walter Kapuscik 6

[img=http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/2230 ... fx9.th.jpg]

Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

In 1920 Peter was living in West Virginia and his brother Stanley was living with him....

1920 United States Federal Census
about Petter Kapusik
Name: Petter Kapusik
[Petter Kapnick]
Home in 1920: Logan, Logan, West Virginia
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1892
Birthplace: Austria
Spouse's Name: Julia
Father's Birth Place: Austria
Mother's Birth Place: Austria
Marital Status: Married
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Year of Immigration: 1910
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 426
Petter Kapusik 28 head
Julia Kapusik 24 wife
Edward Kapusik 4 son
Stanly Kapusik 2 8/12 son
Leo Kapusik 11/12 son
Stanly Kapusik 27 brother

[img=http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/7316 ... gn6.th.jpg]
cnk2186

Post by cnk2186 »

YOU ARE MY HERO!!!! That's them; how did you find this info?

What's interesting in the 1920 census, it says my great grandfather was born in Austria, but in the 1930 one, it says he was born in Poland. I wonder why there is a discrepancy. From the source you found, is there a way of finding these two in later censuses?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

hi here the:
World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Peter Kapusick
Name: Peter Kapusick
City: Not Stated
County: Logan
State: West Virginia
Birthplace: Austria
Birth Date: 18 Jan 1891
Roll: 1992563
DraftBoard: 0

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/1323 ... icklw9.jpg

suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
cnk2186

Post by cnk2186 »

Too bad it doesn't say the name of the city in Austria where he was born...
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I'm no sure if this is the record abt Stanley, but is very probable:

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/6703 ... cikwu0.jpg

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH