Requesting Birth Acts from San Giacomo Filippo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Veritas

Requesting Birth Acts from San Giacomo Filippo

Post by Veritas »

I am working on writing a letter to the Ufficio dello Stato Civile in San Giacomo Filippo . The information that I have is my great-great grandfather's name, the name of the village he was born in (Olmo), his possible birth year (no month or date found), and possibly the first names of his father and mother.

Recently I found the listing for the administration of San Giacomo Filippo on the website comuni-italiani.it. It lists the name of the mayor, their address, phone number and fax number, as well as the names of the municipal councillors - one of whom has the surname of Geronimi and may be a distant relative. The municipality has just under 500 residents.

I am wondering, would it be appropriate for me to send my letter via fax to the mayor directly? I know that submitting the request directly to the mayor is sometimes what is done if the inquirer is going to Italy and wishes to view the records in person (I would certainly enjoy being able to do this, but unfortunately I am unable to do so and must request their assistance in researching the information for me). Is this an acceptable procedure for a smaller municipality? I want to be very respectful in requesting their assistance. If a fax is not appropriate, would it still be acceptable to address my letter to the mayor?

Also, how much information would be appropriate to ask for assistance in researching? A copy of my great-great grandfather's birth act would be wonderful to receive. This would provide documentation of our family's Italian roots. It would also be wonderful to find out more about his parents and siblings and learn if we have living relatives in Italy. Is it appropriate to inquire about other family members in the initial letter, or must a second request be sent for this information? If anyone has any particular wording for the letter that would be helpful, I would appreciate your suggestions.

Thank you to anyone who can offer assistance!
Veritas
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: Requesting Birth Acts from San Giacomo Filippo

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Veritas

What year do you think for the birth? There are LDS films for the years 1866 through 1929, so if the possible year falls between 1866 and 1929 you might want to try the films first and see what you come up with. That could lead you to finding siblings, parents names etc.

Let me know and I can post the link for the films.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Veritas

Re: Requesting Birth Acts from San Giacomo Filippo

Post by Veritas »

Hi Elizabeth,

The possible birth year is 1827, so unfortunately the birth act would not be in the LDS films.

I appreciate your reply!
Veritas