Census Records for Libero and Pasquale Gianfagna

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Census Records for Libero and Pasquale Gianfagna

Post by Biff83 »

Hi, Valarie
Great finds on the census records.

Pasquale Gianfagna 1906 manifest?
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0026
Vessel: Nord America
Arrival: New York 11 June 1906
Last residence: Campobasso
Destination Baltimore MD to join brother in law Raffaele Petti

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hey Biff!
I'm so glad you found that!
Outstanding :D
Valarie
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

John :D ,
thank you for the additional records -
they really helped clear up a few questions!
Valarie
droberts

Post by droberts »

WOW! Thanks so much for all that info you guys found! :D I seen the manifest record for Pasquale's son Angelo, but I wasn't for sure if he was the right one or not. You guys are great help! Thanks again.
D. Roberts
droberts

Post by droberts »

I may have also found possible wife of Libero Gianfagna in the manifest records. The arrival was about a month before Libero and Victtoria's marriage. It states that she was going to her step-father (?) (can't make out first name) DiRota. Is it possible that Vittoria had a step-father by the last name of DiRota?

S.S. Berlin sailing Naples
September 29th 1911
Cacciola, Vittoria
age 21
destination-Cleveland OH
D. Roberts
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

droberts wrote:I may have also found possible wife of Libero Gianfagna in the manifest records. The arrival was about a month before Libero and Victtoria's marriage. It states that she was going to her step-father (?) (can't make out first name) DiRota. Is it possible that Vittoria had a step-father by the last name of DiRota?

S.S. Berlin sailing Naples
September 29th 1911
Cacciola, Vittoria
age 21
destination-Cleveland OH
For reference
Line 23
1911 manifest
page 2
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Hi Donita

The name may be Vincenzo di Rito; di Rito is a common name in Campobasso. The surname di Rota doesn't exist there, although surname Ruta can be found.
John Armellino
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

I think sh’e leaving her step father Vincenzo di Rito in Campobasso.
Joining her father’s brother in Cleveland? XXX di Rito XXX

edit: added
It appears the correct name is Di Tota per John
Valarie
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

The Ellis Island manifest for Vittoria Cacciola has an additional page. On that page, it states that Vittoria Cacciola was going to join her "father brother Crescenzo di Tota at 2081-125th(?) St. Cleveland Ohio." It may be that the name on the other page of this manifest is Vincenzo di Tota, rather than di Rito.

My 5C3R Crescenzo di Tota emigrated to Cleveland and was the son of Vincenzo di Tota. In 1903, he was living at 78 Frank Street in Cleveland when he was joined by his brother Pasquale di Tota and Domenico Gianfagna. Perhaps this is the Crescenzo di Tota that Vittoria Cacciola was going to join.

Donita, do either of these addresses match anything that you have?
John Armellino
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Courtesy of my cousin Al De Tota:

d#: 0478514
Name: Di Tota, Criscenzo (Christ)
Date: Jun 16 1953
Source: Cleveland Press; Cleveland Necrology File, Reel #104.
Notes: Di Tota, Criscenzo (Christ) 2081 E. 125th, beloved husband of Rose, father of Frank and James, brother of Pasquale, John (deceased), Joseph of Kentucky (deceased) and Mrs. Victoria Glanfagna, and grandfather, Sunday, June 14. Friends may call at the S. A. Conti & Son Funeral Home, 2110 Murray Hill Rd. Funeral Wednesday, June 17. Services at Holy Rosary Church, 9:30 a. m.

Note the address and the reference to Mrs. Victoria Gianfagna, identified as a sibling. In addition, Donita has told me off-forum that family lore says that Vittoria was adopted. I wonder if she might have been a foundling that was raised by Vincenzo di Tota and his wife (Anna Maria Palladino).
John Armellino
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

JohnArmellino wrote:Courtesy of my cousin Al De Tota:

d#: 0478514
Name: Di Tota, Criscenzo (Christ)
Date: Jun 16 1953
Source: Cleveland Press; Cleveland Necrology File, Reel #104.
Notes: Di Tota, Criscenzo (Christ) 2081 E. 125th, beloved husband of Rose, father of Frank and James, brother of Pasquale, John (deceased), Joseph of Kentucky (deceased) and Mrs. Victoria Glanfagna, and grandfather, Sunday, June 14. Friends may call at the S. A. Conti & Son Funeral Home, 2110 Murray Hill Rd. Funeral Wednesday, June 17. Services at Holy Rosary Church, 9:30 a. m.

Note the address and the reference to Mrs. Victoria Gianfagna, identified as a sibling. In addition, Donita has told me off-forum that family lore says that Vittoria was adopted. I wonder if she might have been a foundling that was raised by Vincenzo di Tota and his wife (Anna Maria Palladino).
Ohio Death Certificate
ditota
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ditota »

vj - Nice image of death report however the DOB is in error. Crescenzo was born in Campobasso, CB, Molise, Regno d' Italia on 30 May 1878, not 1879.

Source:
Campobasso (Campobasso), Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910 (Salt Lake City : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1983-1990), FHL INTL Film 1733188, NATI 1878 Numero 215, 31 May 1878, Family History Library, 35 North West Temple Street, Salt Lake City, Utah 84150-3400, USA, 91 microfilm rolls, 35 mm.
Albert De Tota (di Tota)