Suggestion for Contacting Possible Relatives in Italy!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
raymo
Rookie
Rookie

Suggestion for Contacting Possible Relatives in Italy!

Post by raymo »

Hope this turns out to be as useful for others as it was for me...

If you know the town of origin & the surnames you're searching for, look those names up in the Italian Pagine Bianche (Italian White Pages) on line, which provides both addresses & phone numbers & the ability to search listings by surname & specific town.

I did this last week, pulled the info on the 26 people in Acerra with the same surname as my grandfather, wrote them all letters in Italian with the info I had on hand about my ancestry & VOILA...5 days later, I get several emails from cousins who are not only blood relatives from the same family line, but they also went to the local city hall & pulled records for me. I now have my direct family tree, going back to 1819, which they got for me on just ONE visit...
john68

Post by john68 »

thanks for your suggestion. i am confused about what part of what they show you is the mailing address. for example, i looked up the name Caprio. it says:

Caprio Giuseppe
83056 Teora (Av) Via Teora Vecchia

Is that the mailing address?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

john68 wrote:thanks for your suggestion. i am confused about what part of what they show you is the mailing address. for example, i looked up the name Caprio. it says:

Caprio Giuseppe
83056 Teora (Av) Via Teora Vecchia

Is that the mailing address?
is exact to write ( otherwise the letter is not recapitate to the adressee):

Sig. (=Mr)Caprio Giuseppe
Via Teora Vecchia
83056 Teora (Av)
Italy
:wink: suanj
john68

Post by john68 »

thank you
raymo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by raymo »

Suanj gave you the right info on how to write the addresses, but if you can't write in Italian, your response rate is going to be limited. By the way, the Italian White Pages can be found at www.paginebianche.it
john68

Post by john68 »

Yes, found the white pages. I have someone who can write in Italian for me, so I'm going to give it a shot. I'll let you know the results.

JC
raymo
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Suggestion for Contacting Possible Relatives in Italy!

Post by raymo »

I know this has been months now, but how did your search work out? I always like to hear positive stories & get some new ideas on what does & doesn't work...
dassisi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dassisi »

Your idea of writing is great, is it possible for you to send me a copy of the letter that you have written in italian so that I can try the same thing. I am having problem writing in italian. Your help would be much appreicated.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Are you requesting documents letters or documents to persons//relatives in Italian?? There are form letters for these requests already prepared. Peter
dassisi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dassisi »

Hi Peter, I am looking for both, a. letter that I can write to anyone with the surname that I am researching asking them if there is a connection to my family and also a form that I can sent to relations in italy (written in italian) for them to fill in with all info that they have on the family. If you can help it will be much appreciated. email them to me directly if you like. Thanks
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

for family go to http://www.anzwers.org/free/italiangen/ ... tters.html and for form letters for documents you can also use www.circolocalabrese.org. This way you don't have to depend upon possibly incorrect letters. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

raymo wrote:Suanj gave you the right info on how to write the addresses, but if you can't write in Italian, your response rate is going to be limited. By the way, the Italian White Pages can be found at www.paginebianche.it
Normally.. on this website and others.. I help many people .. also for italian txt letter.. are here for help...
suanj