Snail Posts?

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Snail Posts?

Post by elba »

Is it only me who is 'suffering' (?) really slow connection speeds when trying to open and navigate Italian Genealogy? :(

There doesn't seem to be any particular time of day when this happens - it's 24/7... I visit other forums that use the same system/server (my own included), but none are as slow as IG is, and has been going on for weeks!
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Snail Posts?

Post by wldspirit »

IG has been slow to load, and Edmondo had noticed this as well back in May when some changes were made.....
Hopefully the situation will be corrected soon.
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Oh - this is now becoming ridiculous....
It's just taken me 17 minutes to open IG, look at 'New Posts' and reply to just one of them...

SEVENTEEN MINUTES! It's been like this for what seems ages, what is wrong with the server? Surely others are becoming as frustrated at the continous wait time and 'outage'!
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

elba,

There is a problem with the IG Server and Edmondo is aware but he has had some issues with internet in his homeland so has been unable to correct it. He just emailed me about it not too long ago.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Yesterday and today were really bad. :x Yesterday I kept getting an error notice that the server was down, and today it has just been really slow. I thought it was my computer, so I am glad that Elba said something. I hope Edmondo will be able to get to it soon because people are waiting for answers. :wink:
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Well I've not been able to access IG since Saturday morning.... every time I tried it 'timed out'. Finally this morning it worked! Hallelujah!

But it is now becoming (IMHO) a real problem!

It begs the question "Who is the server serving?". It certainly doesn't seem to be serving Edmondo OR his membership - does it?
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

I also could not get into the site since Saturday morning-- I kept getting timed out. What was especially strange was that from early Sunday through Sunday night I would wait a long time and then it would redirect me to Ask.com (I was using google) where there was a list of sites. When I clicked on IG again, it would time out and redirect me to the same page.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

I have been going through genealogy withdrawal for the past 3 days. :twisted: Isn't there some way of letting us know that there is a problem with the server? I first thought that there was something wrong on my end. :? Thank goodness it is back today, but it still seems slow.

I really missed my daily "fix" :wink:
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I agree with you all but in all fairness, I believe Edmondo has been slightly busy with personal issues this last week so please, lets allow him time to grieve...

Also, Edmondo would normally let us know if the server was going down but keep in mind he has had issues with no internet in his country. These are all things we have already discussed.

Can we all try to just have a bit more patience for a bit longer? It will be fixed.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Point taken Nuccia...
and I'm sure we all feel an enormous sympathy for Edmondo. That MUST go without saying.

It was certainly never my intention to cause him any more pain, but just to hope that once the site was back (as it is now), that one of the now 'several' moderators would have posted an update on what the current situation was, as a matter of urgency...
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Point taken Nuccia... :oops: and I'm sure we all feel an enormous sympathy for Edmondo. That MUST go without saying.

It was certainly never my intention to cause him any more pain, but just to hope that once the site was back (as it is now), that one of the now 'several' moderators would have posted an update on what the current situation was, as a matter of urgency...
Edmondo
Staff
Staff

Post by Edmondo »

Problems do never come alone and I had to fix them one by one.

I had minimum internet access the last few weeks. It started in May when a very big part of the Netherlands had no access to internet for a few days.
After this was fixed I was one of the 'lucky' few who's connection problem could not be fixed until last Saturday.

Another problem was a software bug which I was only able to fix after my internet connection was fixed. This bug has been fixed yesterday.

A known problem was the hardware which has not enough power to handle the growing amount of visitors. This will be solved between now and about 10 days when the server will be replaced by a brand new server with also a faster connection to the Internet.

Currently I expect the site to run better than it did the last few days but at the end of next week it will download faster than it ever did.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Thanks for the update Edmondo!

We will all look forward to the new upgrades! :)
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Edmondo,

Thank you very much for all that you do for us. I am sure that the last few weeks have been very difficult for you, and we appreciate your keeping up with everything.

Thank you especially for letting us know what the problems are and how you are dealing with them. I know we can all hold on for the next week or two so we can wake up to a new and improved IG. :lol: :lol:
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Thank you for the update Edmondo.
Your kind intervention and explanation of the problem, especially at a time like this in your personal life, is greatly appreciated I assure you.

Sometimes it is very difficult to accept, or understand, 'why' something doesn't work when it is so important to you - as Italian Genealogy is to many of it's members (me included). But who would have it any other way? Communication is maybe the most powerful and valuable tool for sites like this where Q's & A's are the "be all and end all" of it's daily work. For me, as I'm sure for all members, the first action if things go wrong is a post on the board asking 'Why?'.