Tracing Berth Certificates

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
becshansen

Tracing Berth Certificates

Post by becshansen »

Im wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how I trace my Mothers birth Certificate.
Im going to Italy next month to try and find it in person but not too sure how things work!
My mother was born on the island of Cres (Cherso in Italian) in 1939 which belonged to Italy at that time. After the war ended in 1945 it became part of Yugoslavia, which is now Croatia. Im at a loss to know whether or not her birth certificate will exist at all, records such as these may have been destroyed?? Will I find it in Italy, as it was part of Italy at the time of her birth, or will it be in Croatia?
My mother and her family moved to Trieste when she was a little girl and we seem to think this is where the documents could be.

Any advise or suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.

I need this vital document in order to prove my mothers heritage and therefore apply for my own Italian Passport. She is now a New Zealand citizen as am I, however, at the time of my birth my mother was still an Italian citizen and therefore I am entitled to Italian Citizenship.

Best regards.....Becs :D
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Tracing Berth Certificates

Post by Italysearcher »

Since Italian records are held int he town of origin I would start there. Someone there should be able to tell you where to go if they no longer have them. You might also try the parish church for the baptism record. It may be acceptable if the birth certificate cannot be found.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I already sent out an e-mailto my Yugoslav colleague and am awaiting a reply about Cherso island. =Peter=
becshansen

Post by becshansen »

PeterTimber wrote:I already sent out an e-mailto my Yugoslav colleague and am awaiting a reply about Cherso island. =Peter=
Thank you so much for your help, I look forward to hearing from you, Becs.
becshansen

Post by becshansen »

Italysearcher wrote:Since Italian records are held int he town of origin I would start there. Someone there should be able to tell you where to go if they no longer have them. You might also try the parish church for the baptism record. It may be acceptable if the birth certificate cannot be found.
Thank you so much for your advise. Is that even if the town of origin ie. Cres, is no longer Italy? Becs
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

"CRES" is a Croation name for Cherso. The link to a Cres link is www.island-cres.net/en

Cres was under Italian control from 1918 until 1943.Prior to that it was under Austrian-Hungary and even the Cityof Venice at different periods. Records, however, are found in Croatia. The best source for the records willbe parish church records betwen 1571 and 1902. Birth Marriage and deaths are in "Metrical books" for Roman Catholic churches. The texts of the metircal books are in Italian and Croation.

The LDS family history library has microfilms available under RODENI=birth, VJENCANI=marriage and UMRLI=death

for birth,marriage and death records older than 1860, the regional archives should be copntacted in Cres. The Registrar at the Municpal office should be contacted. =Peter=
becshansen

Post by becshansen »

PeterTimber wrote:"CRES" is a Croation name for Cherso. The link to a Cres link is www.island-cres.net/en

Cres was under Italian control from 1918 until 1943.Prior to that it was under Austrian-Hungary and even the Cityof Venice at different periods. Records, however, are found in Croatia. The best source for the records willbe parish church records betwen 1571 and 1902. Birth Marriage and deaths are in "Metrical books" for Roman Catholic churches. The texts of the metircal books are in Italian and Croation.

The LDS family history library has microfilms available under RODENI=birth, VJENCANI=marriage and UMRLI=death

for birth,marriage and death records older than 1860, the regional archives should be copntacted in Cres. The Registrar at the Municpal office should be contacted. =Peter=
Thank you so much for that info, it is a huge help. Just one little thing, you mention the best source for the records will be parish church records between 1571 and 1902, but my mother was born in 1939..? Will I still look in the same place? thanks Becs
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

You overlooked my last paragraph. Write to the local municipality and request the address for the regional archives for BMD records after 1862. =Peter=