Registry of a foreign birth

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Corte

Registry of a foreign birth

Post by Corte »

My father was born in Budapest, but was later issued an Italian passport by the Italian Embassy there. I am looking for his Estratto di Nascita. Would anyone know how I begin to look for it? His father, also an Italian citizen, was also born in Budapest. My great grandfather was born in Capo D'Istria - what is now Koper in Slovenia. Yet all had Italian passports. If my father's birth were registered as it should have been, in what commune would it be? I am at a loss.

MC
wishyou
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Registry of a foreign birth

Post by wishyou »

The birth of a italian citizen in a foreign country is registered in the town where the mother or the father is resident. If it doesn't apply (mainly because the relatives are not resident in Italy), it is registered in the town where the mother or the father was born.

So you suppose to take a look at Capodistria Town Hall.... but Capodistria is not italian anymore from 1946 and all the registers which where saved (not all) are now in the Tribunal of Rome.

You could try, also, in the last town of residence of your grandfather. You could get some more information.
Corte

Post by Corte »

Thanks, Wishyou. Will do.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Capo D'istria was Italian from 1918 to 1943 and is now part of Croatia.

For Birth=rodeni, marriage=vjencani and deaths=umrli records older than 1860 the regional archicve should be contacted thru the Registrar of the Municipal Office of Capo D'Istria in the event that records are not found in Italy.

Further the Mormon LDS has microfilm for all births, marriages and deaths in different years whcih may also be researched by the birth, marriage and death whichis why I gave you the translation of these words into Croatian language.

If you need the addres for Capo D'Istria please let me know so that I can look it up. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There is a department in Istria for Italian minority affairs for the Istria government and you can send them an e-mail if records are not avilable in Italy. Their e-mail address is TALZ.NACM.ISTRA-ISTRIA.HR

Hope this helps. =Peter=
Corte

Post by Corte »

Thanks Peter

MC