Romersa Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
truthknight

Romersa Family

Post by truthknight »

I have some information on the Romersa family. Specifically, its the group that came from Brusnengo, Piemonte and settled in Red Lodge, Montana. The information I have starts with Joseph Romersa, my great-great grandfather. He came over with the family in 1891 and returned to italy the following year, leaving behind his sons and wife. I would love to know more about Henry Thomas Romersa his son and my great grandpa or any other family connected to these people. I also wouldn't mind sharing anything I can offer, my grand father Ernest Theodore Romersa wrote a family tree document that I am updating, so hopefully I have usefull info for anyone searching the Romersa line.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Romersa Family

Post by suanj »

truthknight wrote:I have some information on the Romersa family. Specifically, its the group that came from Brusnengo, Piemonte and settled in Red Lodge, Montana. The information I have starts with Joseph Romersa, my great-great grandfather. He came over with the family in 1891 and returned to italy the following year, leaving behind his sons and wife. I would love to know more about Henry Thomas Romersa his son and my great grandpa or any other family connected to these people. I also wouldn't mind sharing anything I can offer, my grand father Ernest Theodore Romersa wrote a family tree document that I am updating, so hopefully I have usefull info for anyone searching the Romersa line.
Hi: an Giuseppe(Joseph)Romersa came in USA 1888:

Professione
FARMER

Istruzione
U

Luogo di origine
U

Destinazione
USA

Visto
Emigrante

Classe
Ponte

Porto d'imbarco (port of imbarcation)
HAVRE

Nave(ship)
LA CHAMPAGNE

Data d'arrivo (date of arrival)
8/20/1888

regards, suanj
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

HI.....

There was a G. Romersa age 47, that arrived in NY on 7 Sept. 1891. The ship was the La Touraine out of Le Havre. In addition, the following are also on the same ship:

Mrs. Romersa, age 45
Sofia, age 16
Giuseppe, age 11
Giovanni, age 9
Enrico, age 3

In 1888, a Pietro Romersa, age 23 and an Emil, age 15, arrived on the Le Gascogne out of Le Havre. Believe these are also family.
In 1900, there is a Mary Romery listed in Montana Census:
Mary, born July 1847, married 34 years, had 6 children, 5 children living.
Emma, born Oct, 1862, age 27
Joseph, bornSept 1877, age 22
John, born April 1882, age 18
Harry, born July 1886, age 13
It does not indicate that Mary is a widow or divorced, so possibly her husband is still alive in Italy.

In 1910 there is an
Emil Romersa, age 37, born Italy, arrived 1888, naturalized
Next Household:
Henry Romersa, age 22, born Italy, arrived 189?, papers applied for
Testa.age 18, born Italy
Walter, age 6 months, born Montana
Next household:
Joe Romersa, age 31, born Italy, arrived 18??, naturalized
Amelia, age 21, born Italy
Richard, age 3, born Montana

There are a couple of trips by Amelia first with son Richard and then son John back to the US from Italy.

Believe there is one more trip to America for Enrico as well...1898 or so.

Do you need more info? Not sure what you have so far.
truthknight

re: romersa

Post by truthknight »

Just wanted to thank you guys for such prompt and detailed replies. The Joseph (Giuseppe) who arrived in 1891 is my Great-Great Granddad. :)

I find it fascinating just how many people seem to be connected in one way or another to this family :)

I am looking for two things. Info to create a more detailed and larger tree than my grand dad had (finish his work essentially) and also trying to find out the naturalization details of Henry Romersa specifically.

Thanks again

Theo.
DDee

Post by DDee »

Hi Theo,
I hope you see this. I'm your cousin Debbie. You may not remember me. It's been a long time. I too am looking for more info on our Romersa family. I have found them in census from Ancestry and Heritage Quest and also a WW I application for Henry Thomas Romersa. Please contact me. I'd love to hear from you. Take care.
Thanks
Debbie
ddshasta1@yahoo.com
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Hi again.....

Well, your cousin Deb seems to have found the additional info I found....the census info and the WWI Registration card for Henry.
He is also listed in the California death index, born 2 July 1887, died 22 July 1959 and his SS# was 553462250.

The NARA will be able to help you with information on the naturalization papers. It stated in 1920 that he was naturalized in 1899.... In 1910, it stated he had applied for papers...so I am unsure which is accurate. Got to NARA.gov and find what district Montana falls into, then contact that branch...by e-mail or regular mail...and see what they can find for you.
He is definately a citizen by 1917 because it is written on his WWI registration card.

Some of the early civil records...birth, death, and marriage records...are on microfilm at the Family History Library. Go to www.familysearch.org and search for Vercelli....all the Brusnengo records are within the records of Vercelli, the provincial capital.

Good luck to both you and Deb on your "reunion" and futher research.
digitaldome

Post by digitaldome »

Hi...I am Paul Romersa. Joseph Romersa was my grandfather and settled in Red Lodge. He married Amelia. He did not, however, have a son named Henry Thomas. He did not leave them and go back to Italy. As a poster below said..Amelia went back a few times once with my dad Richard when he was a young boy.
His two sons where Richard Emil Romersa (my father) and John O. Romersa (my late uncle). I believe Henry lived in the California area...and his decendants are there today. Many of them were in envolved in the music industry. Tommy Romersa comes to mind. Do a google and you will see much info on that part of the family.
If you need to contact me..my email is digitaldome@cox.net

truthknight wrote:I have some information on the Romersa family. Specifically, its the group that came from Brusnengo, Piemonte and settled in Red Lodge, Montana. The information I have starts with Joseph Romersa, my great-great grandfather. He came over with the family in 1891 and returned to italy the following year, leaving behind his sons and wife. I would love to know more about Henry Thomas Romersa his son and my great grandpa or any other family connected to these people. I also wouldn't mind sharing anything I can offer, my grand father Ernest Theodore Romersa wrote a family tree document that I am updating, so hopefully I have usefull info for anyone searching the Romersa line.
lwascher

Post by lwascher »

The Giovanni, Age 9 was my great great Grandfather. He Stayed in Kansas and worked as a Miner. His son Frank, My Great Grandfather also worked as a miner in Kansas. He married Secunda who was an amzaizing woman. very tall and Handsome. They had four or five children, My grandfather Theodore was one of them. He was a wanderer and moved around a lot. He married a budding actress Leona Short in California. He was a painter. The marriage was not a happy one and ended in divorce. My father was their only child. Since Ted was reportedly a jerk, some crazy thing had happened and my father grew up being raised by his dad and never knowing Leona past the age of five. It is a sad history, but My father is very interrested in finding and learning as much about the Romersa side as possible. We met my great Aunt Dorothy (Dottie) She actually came to my wedding. Very wonderful woman. Feel free to contact me about this side of the family. I have a family tree on Ancestry with some pictures but I would love to add pictures and documents.
Lauren
Romersa

Post by Romersa »

This inquiry is 12 years old but I will attempt a reply. The Romersa family coming from Brusnengo during the years you mentioned are my ancestors. I am related to the Romersas who settled in Kansas, some went west to Montana. I have created a Romersa Tree on ancestry.com.
pksjones@comcast.net

Post by pksjones@comcast.net »

Frank and Secunda Romersa were my grandparents. The Aunt Dottie to whom you refer was my mother. I'm working on the tree, but it's far from complete.