Italy to Argentina

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ItalianLori
Rookie
Rookie

Italy to Argentina

Post by ItalianLori »

Hello:
While making "baby steps" in my research, I have found that one of my grandfather's brothers, Giacomo Pionzio born 1899 in Azeglio, Torino, emigrated to Argentina and worked as a gaucho on the pampas, (according to legend) I have tried to obtain the date of his
passage to Argentina on Altriatale.it but can not open any of the links or pages to this cite. Any advices on what I am doing wrong?

Many thanks for you guidance and assistance.

Lori
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Italy to Argentina

Post by PeterTimber »

Twice? I just answered your inquiry. =Peter=
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

ItalianLori wrote:Hello:
While making "baby steps" in my research, I have found that one of my grandfather's brothers, Giacomo Pionzio born 1899 in Azeglio, Torino, emigrated to Argentina and worked as a gaucho on the pampas, (according to legend) I have tried to obtain the date of his
passage to Argentina on Altriatale.it but can not open any of the links or pages to this cite. Any advices on what I am doing wrong?

Many thanks for you guidance and assistance.

Lori
Hello
these are the links you can check to find your ancestor's infos on travel from Italy to Argentina
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
--------
CEMLA Centro de Estudios Migratorios Latinoamericano
http://www.cemla.com/

Av. Independencia 20
(1099) Capital Federal, 4342-6749 / 4334-7717

Martes y Jueves de 10 a 14 hs.

base@cemla.com

------------
También están en el

Museo Nacional de la Inmigración

Av. Antártida Argentina 1355

(1104) Capital Federal, 4317-0285

Lunes a Viernes de 10 a 17 hs.

Sábados y Domingos de 11 a 18 hs.

CEMLA es miembro de la Federation of Centers for Migration Studies Giovanni Battista Scalabrini, que agrupa a los Centros de Estudios sobre Migraciones que la congregación tiene en todo el mundo: Buenos Aires, Roma, París, New York, Sao Paolo y Manila.
Ingreso de inmigrantes desde 1882 hasta 1930 inclusive.

Los libros han sido restaurados en los últimos meses y se han incorporado mas de 60.000 registros por lo que puede ocurrir que tengan nuevos datos en los anteriormente consultados.

La consulta cuesta $5 yendo personalmente y $3 en el Museo.

---------
Archivo General de la Nación - Inmigrantes
http://www.mininterior.gov.ar/agn/

Sede Central: Av. Leandro N. Alem 246 (1003) Buenos Aires,
tel. (5411) 4331-5531/33
fax (5411) 4334-0065

Sede Paseo Colón: Av. Paseo Colón 1093 (1063) Buenos Aires,
tel. (5411) 4331-0880

archivo@mininterior.gov.ar

"Entrada de buques de pasajeros (1821-1869)"

La consulta es gratuita. Departamento de Documentos Escritos (7° Piso)

De Lunes a Viernes de 10 a 17 hs (Cerrado al público hasta el 17 de febrero)
-------------
Registro Nacional de las Personas
http://www.registrocivil.gov.ar/

Tte. Gral. Juan D. Perón 666
(1038) Capital Federal
4326-6555/4108/2072
Para obtener datos del Archivo, se debe cursar oficio al Director del Registro Nacional de las Personas

----------
Dirección Nacional de Migraciones
http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/

En Buenos Aires
Av. Antártida Argentina 1355

(1104) Capital Federal

Informes 4317-0234 al 0238
Mesa de entradas 4317-0360

Conmutador 4317-0200

4317-0273 / 0200 - 4315-0443/ 0299

info@migraciones.gov.ar

Entradas de pasajeros a Argentina desde 1928 a la actualidad

Lunes a Viernes de 9 a12 hs. La consulta cuesta $25.

----------
Unione y Benevolenza

Tte. Gral. Juan D. Perón 1362

(1038) Capital Federal

4373-2889/4375-0721

La Biblioteca atiende los martes y jueves de 17 a 19 horas.

Una posibilidad muy remota pero que puede servir es consultar los Libros de Socios de Unione y Benevolenza. El trato que dispensa el Bibliotecario Sr. Heraldo Venzano es excelente.

Si bien los datos son escasos, si el inmigrante fue miembro de la Institución, puede demostrar el haber entrado al país. (Aporte de Héctor Bruno)

------------
http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/museo/_inicio.htm
Museo Hotel de Inmigrantes

museo@migraciones.gov.ar

Museo de los Inmigrantes, Base de Datos, Camino del Inmigrante, Biblioteca, etc

Los certificados de ingreso al país se extienden en la calle :

Hipólito Yrigoyen 952 de 8 a 13 Horas.

Para solicitarlo se requiere el pago de un "arancel" de $ 25.

También extienden una certificación Negativa en caso de haber entrado el Inmigrante en el periodo comprendido entre 1870 y 1882 que fué cuando se quemaron los libros. (Ver historia en el CEMLA )

El teléfono de esta dependencia es : 4342-9496 y 4342-9531

Personalmente, acabo de realizar esta gestión y obtuve la certificación en una semana.

(Aporte de Héctor Bruno)
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

perhaps is this:
Cognome
PIONZO

Nome
GIACOMO

Parentela

Stato civile
Celibe/Nubile

Professione
JORNALERO

Religione
Cattolico

Porto d'imbarco
GENOVA

Nave
MATTEO BRUZZO

Data d'arrivo
23-11-1886

Istruzione
Sa

Classe

regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

But should we clarify the surname as either PIONZIO which is a surname appearing in 5 towns in Piemonte region or Ponzio which is far more numerous but not indicative of the spelling furnished us by the inquirer?=Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Further: The inquirer listed her inquiry TWICE and I responded positively to her request for information giving her the following potential relati ve inthe spelling she provided to this forum which has somehow disappeared and cannot be found so I have no choice but to respond to the inquiry the way I did for the disappeared inquiry:

There is a potential relative: FERMIN C. PIONIZIO
CALVO CARLOS 6648
BUENOS AIRES TRUJUI-MORENO
CP(B1736AJN) ARGENTINA

Telephone # 237-481-9008

=Peter=
ItalianLori
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ItalianLori »

Ricbru, Peter Timber and Suanj:

Thank you all for such a wealth of information. I apologize for the "double post" - my keyboard ( or my fingers) sometimes act on their own.

In order to clarify, the name is Pionzio, according to birth certificates viewed from Azeglio church records. However, I have found two entries on Ancestry that have the name Pionzo, and Pronzio, due to illegible handwriting. I have even found a second cousin in South Carolina here in the states with a spelling of Pianzio.

In answer to PeterTimber, the Spanish is perfictly legible and understandable, as I used to teach bilingual science classes in New Rochelle, not far from Yonkers! I am now in Virginia Beach, where there is not much use for my Spanish here, and I'm a bit rusty. I do miss New Rochelle, and visit friends there frequetly when I go back to the house in the Bronx, (my vacation home).

Now that school has started here, my researching time will be limited but I will contact the referenced cites, and thank you all again for your kindness.

Lori
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Lori what a pleasant turn of the wheel, New Rochelle no less!! It has actually got a skyline now and changing rapidly. By the way there is a fairly new Italian cukltural center in nearby Bronxville where they hold classes which you may be interested in knowing about. =Peter=
ItalianLori
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ItalianLori »

Peter:
Small world, isn't it? I still have my home in the Bronx, (where I grew up). I lived on my father's boat on City Island for a few years before I got married and moved to New Rochelle. There used to be a large Italian population in New Rochelle, but many have moved to other parts of Westchester and out of state, like me. Since we still own the Bronx house, I often go back ( it's my vacation home!) and shop at Battaglia's for sausage and cheese, and, of course, visit Arthur Avenue. New Rochelle not only has a changing skyline, but a changing polulation. That is why I persued a MS in bilingual (spanish) education. Wish I had learned Italian in school, though. Keep in touch - I will try to contact the Bronxville group when I come up again. Thanks, again, for all of your help in my research.

Lori
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I hope you have my e-mail address..(Petertimber@msn.com). when next your here , drop me a line, I am safe, old and married (UGH!) and I cannot even run fast!! =Peter=
ItalianLori
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ItalianLori »

Peter:
Small world, isn't it? I still have my home in the Bronx, (where I grew up). I lived on my father's boat on City Island for a few years before I got married and moved to New Rochelle. There used to be a large Italian population in New Rochelle, but many have moved to other parts of Westchester and out of state, like me. Since we still own the Bronx house, I often go back ( it's my vacation home!) and shop at Battaglia's for sausage and cheese, and, of course, visit Arthur Avenue. New Rochelle not only has a changing skyline, but a changing polulation. That is why I persued a MS in bilingual (spanish) education. Wish I had learned Italian in school, though. Keep in touch - I will try to contact the Bronxville group when I come up again. Thanks, again, for all of your help in my research.

Lori
ItalianLori
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ItalianLori »

Peter:

Lori