Need Some Help Reading a Manifest

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
justinerae

Need Some Help Reading a Manifest

Post by justinerae »

I have the manifest for my great grandfather Giuseppe Cerasuolo. There are two parts that I am having trouble reading. The part where it shows who he is being met by in the US and then the part regarding the relative in Italy. I can read my great grandmother's name Angela, but then there is another word after it that I can not figure out.

Here is the link
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0023

He arrived May 2, 1910 aboard the Luisiana

I have the ship manifest that Angela arrived on and I have the family in both the 1920 and 1930 census. I also have Giusppe's WW II registration card.

They are from the town of Giuigliano, Italy. If there is anyone also researching the Cerasuolo family from ths area, please contact me.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Justine
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Need Some Help Reading a Manifest

Post by elba »

I read Line 23 as this:

Cerasuolo Giuseppe - age 23 - male - labourer - Italy - Italian South - Italy - Giulgliano - wife Angela - Giulgliano - NY New York

Unlke many others, this manifest doesn't show who is meeting him, but who is the nearest relative or friend in the place he left in Italy ('from whence he came'). In his case that is his wife Angela back in his home town of Giulgliano.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

Age, to me, looks like he's 21 and just for information the place of origin shown on the manifest is mispelled, "Giulgiano" doesn't exists. The correct name is Giugliano (in Campania).

Ada
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

uantiti wrote:Age, to me, looks like he's 21 and just for information the place of origin shown on the manifest is mispelled, "Giulgiano" doesn't exists. The correct name is Giugliano (in Campania).

Ada
Sorry Ada :( - my apologies. You are right about the age - it IS 21... must have been a 'typo'. :roll:
As for the town spelling, I think (?) that the person doing the writing was just confused with the letters in the town name... it's not an easy name to spell at the best of times.

I must admit though to being surprised at the lack of 'destination' information on this manifest. That (I think) is, in itself, quite unusual.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

elba wrote:I must admit though to being surprised at the lack of 'destination' information on this manifest. That (I think) is, in itself, quite unusual.
I don't believe I have ever seen a manifest that wasn't a full two pages "wide" - facing pages in an open book.

The other page is here.

My best interpretation of the contents of the "Whether going to join a relative or friend; and, if so, what relative or friend, and his name and complete address" field is "Friend Luigi _______ 2173 Park Ave NY"

The linked-to Passenger Record:

First Name: Guiseppe
Last Name: Cerasuolo
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Giuigliano, Italy
Date of Arrival: May 02, 1910
Age at Arrival: 21y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Luisiana
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0023

I can't help but notice that, like seemingly all Italians of this era, he was quite short in stature. 8O
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

Elba, no need to apologize :) I just saw it was a 21 and my correction was meant to help Justine. Same thing for the correct spelling of the town. You are right sometimes names are not so easy to spell but being Italian it sounds immediately when wrong.
The destination stands on the second page of the manifest (I checked and saw it). For some reasons Justine didn't post it. May be she didn't need anyone to read it as she knew it already.....

Ciao from the sea to the Alps :lol:

Ada
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

Well, the second page is out now and the family name looks (to me): MACCHIONE.
justinerae

Post by justinerae »

Thank you everyone for the help, I really appreciate it. I could not even guess what was written after his wfie Angela's name- I should have put the link to both pages- but it was late here when I posted and I did not even think to put both pages. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused anyone.

It took me a long time to even just locate this family in the 1920 and 1930 census because the name was misspelled in each one. It was only due to a tip that I read somewhere that i used to locate them.

Thanks again to everyone for their help.

Justine :D