naturalization petiton/declaration -- UCIS & footnote.co

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Roccella
Rookie
Rookie

naturalization petiton/declaration -- UCIS & footnote.co

Post by Roccella »

I am trying to save myself some time and find the naturalization papers without having to wait for USCIS to do an index search.

I found my ancestor's reference to files on footnote.com, and sent off for the declaration of intent from NARA before I realized it wasn't what I needed for dual citizenship.

My question is, I also found a "petition number" on footnote.com -- is the the "C-file" number I need to give to USCIS or is it something else?

Also, I am thinking about going to the local US District Court where the petition was filed to get a copy after reading on here that sometimes what USCIS provides is unreadable -- is this the number I would need for them as well. The naturalization paper terminology is confusing to me, people talk about papers, and petitions, and declarations, and certificates of citizenship and it is very confusing to us poor newbies :)

-dla
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: naturalization petiton/declaration -- UCIS & footnot

Post by PeterTimber »

The uS Immigration & Natz Service used to amend the original ships manifest whenever an immmigrant became a naturalized US citizen by putting in the appropriate citizenship number file. I believe the certficate of citizenship number is the number that appeared on the ships manifest and was also the relating file #. I could be in error about the numbering but not the annotation of the manifest which can be seen on ships manifests. =Peter=
matta
Rookie
Rookie

Post by matta »

Actually, they they noted the Certificate of Arrival number, and that wasn't done all the time. That CoA was requested before a person could submit a Declaration of Intent. A person with a notation may or may not have naturalized. Further, neither NARA or the USCIS can use that number to search for a file.

The US District Court will tell you to go to NARA if the files are several decades or more old. But don't worry - if you submitted a request online at NARA, they'll send you the entire file they have, which includes the Certificate of Arrival, Declaration of Intent, Oath of Allegiance, and Petition for Naturalization. The only thing that NARA does not have is the Certificate of Naturalization. Only the USCIS can provide that.

Some consulates accept the NARA files (which technically they should, since the date on the Oath is the date they're concerned with), however some (like Miami) require the Certificate of Naturalization, so you have no choice but to go the USCIS route.

To file a G-1041 at the USCIS, you don't need any numbers - just the person's vital information. They'll reply back with their internal file number for the C-file, then you file a G-1041A to get a copy (though, the USCIS cannot issue certified copies of the certificate of naturalization - just a "genealogy copy", and no one that I know of has attempted to use that copy at a consulate).
Roccella
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Roccella »

Hmmm, all NARA sent me was the Declaration of Intent. Maybe the rest is under that second number I found.
matta
Rookie
Rookie

Post by matta »

Roccella wrote:Hmmm, all NARA sent me was the Declaration of Intent. Maybe the rest is under that second number I found.
If you requested a naturalization file, they should have sent everything attached to that number / person.

Is it possible that the person never naturalized and that there is only a DoI?
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Roccella wrote:I am trying to save myself some time and find the naturalization papers without having to wait for USCIS to do an index search.

I found my ancestor's reference to files on footnote.com, and sent off for the declaration of intent from NARA before I realized it wasn't what I needed for dual citizenship.
Several of the volunteers here have subscriptions to footnote.
If you post your information, perhaps we could link the document images
from footnote for you? They may contain the information you need to order
what you need for your dual citizenship.

Valarie
Roccella
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Roccella »

Thanks so much! I actually paid for the subscription to footnote (or a "free" trial, anyway. I was just wondering if I can submit the number I found as the C-file number to the USCIS or if I have to do an index search anyway. I have a "pet" number.
matta
Rookie
Rookie

Post by matta »

Roccella wrote:Thanks so much! I actually paid for the subscription to footnote (or a "free" trial, anyway. I was just wondering if I can submit the number I found as the C-file number to the USCIS or if I have to do an index search anyway. I have a "pet" number.
I don't know. The G-1041 result lists an "internal file number" that the USCIS uses to locate the document. That "internal file number" goes on the G-1041A. So, theoretically, you need to request a G-1041 before a G-1041A.

However, when I received my G-1041 results back, the "internal file number" for the A-File (there is no C-File) was just the Alien Registration number. So, it's likely that the "internal file number" for the C-File may just be the Certificate number.

However, if you're wrong, they keep your check and send you a "no file found" letter.

It only took them 2 weeks to respond to my G-1041 request, so I'd recommend doing that first.
Roccella
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Roccella »

Cool, thanks. I wish there was tracking for the USCIS like there is for NARA. Just sort of like sending something off into the sea and hoping it comes back ;)
matta
Rookie
Rookie

Post by matta »

Roccella wrote:Cool, thanks. I wish there was tracking for the USCIS like there is for NARA. Just sort of like sending something off into the sea and hoping it comes back ;)
The G-639 process did have a way to check status. You had to call Lee's Summit before 2:30 PM CST (IIRC), and they'd give you your "number" and how many it was out of. I would call every other week and track those numbers.

Hopefully the G-1041 process will be fast enough that it doesn't matter. As I mentioned - it took them 2 weeks to process mine. My G-639 is still #3000 or so, 8 months later (I kept it in there to get the A-file for free). But I have everything I "need" from the G-1041, so I no longer bother to really track the G-639.