help to decipher portion of document

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
dragoni
Veteran
Veteran

help to decipher portion of document

Post by dragoni »

i must admit i have not been too succesful, okay not at all, in trying to use image shack to post documents here. i have a portion of free lanced text on one of the standard documents of which i am not exactly sure i am getting the true meaning. i believe it to advise that the groom had not been around when the banns of marriage were posted as he was in america, something he also appeared to acknowledge on later census forms. that would lead me to believe the marriage was arranged.

can someone provide an email address to whcih i can send a jpeg to get posted and get a more accurate translation? thanks.

tom
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: help to decipher portion of document

Post by PeterTimber »

www.freetranslation is an excellent website for such a task. You might give it a try yourself since they permit about 50 words free translation. =Peter=
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

dragoni wrote:....
can someone provide an email address to whcih i can send a jpeg to get posted and get a more accurate translation? thanks.

tom
I would not recommend any automatic translator...
I have sent you a pm with my email.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The www.freetranslation.com website that I recommended is a paying commerical translating service which provides excellent service. I suggested the freebie of the 50 words which I always found to be useful and informative as an experiment-nothing more.

I agree that any automatic translator should generally be avoided and the use of a commercial translator be hired for translating important documents. =Peter=
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Here is the document that Tom sent me privately:
http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/9528 ... niord4.jpg

The document is the request for banns submitted on Jan 21, 1899 to the Comune of Gioia Sannitica by Antonio Domenico Pacelli, aged 32, farmer, living in Dragoni, son of Michele, 67, farmer living in Dragoni and of Vincenza Cappiello, farmer living in Dragoni and by Maria Apollonia Gizzi, aged 26, farmer, living in Gioia Sannitica, daughter of Raffaele, 64, farmer, living in Gioia Sannitica and of Maria Michela Landolfo, farmer, living in Gioa Sannitica.

The line that I have underlined in red states that the groom has been resident in Dragoni since one year.

The handwritten portion states that the spouse have given their birth certificates, and their certificates showing that they are single, and also a copy of the notarial act written in front of the judge of Caiazzo on January 8, 1899, proving that during his staying in America, Antonio Domenico Pacelli did not get married.

As you can see there are no dates related to the trip in US, however, since Antonio was resident in Dragoni only for one year, you may infer that he was in US at least during 1897...
dragoni
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dragoni »

many thanks for the assistance. on a later census antonio identified that he had been in america for the period 1888-1899 in addition to his second trip in 1900. i have never been able to locate any confirmation of this first stay in the u.s. this at least helps verify that he was here for some unspecified period of time previously.

tom