Where to find death posting

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Lindee
Rookie
Rookie

Where to find death posting

Post by Lindee »

I located a coroner's notice of death for my great-grandfather Frank Cetta(possibly Francesco, Franco etc.) Born abt. 1853

He was born in Italy, I believe: Sant Angelo Dei Lombardi. He immigrated to the US, can't find a manifest yet.

He was murdered April 28, 1908 in New York, however the listing I found was in Ontario Canada. The details match exactly what my family remembered, it is way too close to be a coincidense. I believe he lived in Rochester, NY which is close to tbe Canadian water border, according to a map I looked at. Could this have been published in a New York or Candaian newspaper?

Could this also be posted in the New York archives somewhere?

Thanks
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Where to find death posting

Post by PeterTimber »

For about $6.00 for one months subscription you can go to www.newspaperarchive.com and see if Rochester NY newspapers covered the story in 1908 =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

why can't you find the manifest? =Peter=
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Lindee wrote:I located a coroner's notice of death for my great-grandfather Frank Cetta(possibly Francesco, Franco etc.) Born abt. 1853

He was born in Italy, I believe: Sant Angelo Dei Lombardi. He immigrated to the US, can't find a manifest yet.

He was murdered April 28, 1908 in New York, however the listing I found was in Ontario Canada. The details match exactly what my family remembered, it is way too close to be a coincidense. I believe he lived in Rochester, NY which is close to tbe Canadian water border, according to a map I looked at. Could this have been published in a New York or Candaian newspaper?

Could this also be posted in the New York archives somewhere?

Thanks
That Ontario death record clearly shows his residence at the time as 70 1/2 Dundas Street in Ontario. That is, as you say, near to the border at Buffalo NY. It also gives the cause of death.

Another question: were his parents by any chance Michael (Michele) Cetta and Maria Griffa?
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
Lindee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lindee »

Elba,

Well, it appears you have more information on this than I do. How would you know that address is located in Ontario? I thought he lived in Rochester, NY ??? But, am not completely sure of that. I only know he supposedly settled in NY.

Where did you find the parents names? What site did you find that? I do not know if they are his parents. I know his daugters name was Anne. I do not even know his wife's name. Please advise. Thank you so much
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Lindee wrote:Elba,

Well, it appears you have more information on this than I do. How would you know that address is located in Ontario? I thought he lived in Rochester, NY ??? But, am not completely sure of that. I only know he supposedly settled in NY.

Where did you find the parents names? What site did you find that? I do not know if they are his parents. I know his daugters name was Anne. I do not even know his wife's name. Please advise. Thank you so much
I found these on Ancestry.com by searching on the name. I found a reference to the death in Ontario and, as you had mentioned it, I assumed that >THIS<
was the one you had seen. It's the first at the top, r/h side...click to enlarge it. The death record did not say Dundas Street was somewhere else so I Googled it in Ontario and it's still there.

Then having seen that (residence) I started to search the Ontario files. The name of the parents came up on 'a' Francesco Cetta's marriage record... but there were a lot of F. Cetta's listed and that was why I asked about the parents names. I will post that as well if you want it - or do you have Ancestry?

The same with the manifests... there are such a lot of Francesco Cetta's arriving in the USA and its a case of finding the right one.

Sadly I'm NOT a genealogist (I'm learning), I'm a translator, but I'm sure there are some 'real' ones here who could find much more for you than I have.
Lindee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lindee »

Elba,

You may not calll yourself a genealogist, but you foiund more than most. I too found the document from Ontario, but I a don't know what Ontario files you are talking about to find his parents. Could you tell me?

I also found the ship manifests with F. Cetta, there are so many with the same name. I do have Ancestry, that is where I found the original file on him. Please post the marriage file you found, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

Hi Lindee
I found this marriage record listed (mis-spelled) under Tranco Cetta and opened it on the 'off chance'. Age wise it fits him (note 2 birth years...) - and they were married in Toronto. This is where his parents (and his wife's parents) are listed in the last column on Page 1. The 2nd page shows witnesses too. I do hope it's 'your' family!

This has TWO pages and the entry is on the top line...:
>Marriage Page 1<

>Marriage Page 2<

These were found in:
Ontario Historical Records
Ontario Birth, Marriage & Death
Ontario, Canada Marriages, 1857-1924

Tranco Cetta
Birth Place: Italy
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1856
Father Name: Michael Cetta
Mother Name: Maria Griffa
Spouse Name: Christina Carabilli
Spouse's Age: 48
Spouse Estimated Birth Year: abt 1853
Spouse Birth Place: Italy
Spouse Father Name: Ladessa Dennis St Augels Moreslina Carabilli
Spouse Mother Name: Carabilli
Marriage Date: 10 Jan 1901
Marriage Place: York
Marriage County: York
Family History Library Microfilm: MS932_103

This section below might be good to look at too:
Ontario Immigration & Emigration
Passenger and Immigration Lists Index, 1500s-1900s
Border Crossings: From Canada to U.S., 1895-1956
Canadian Immigrant Records, Part One
Canadian Immigrant Records, Part Two
Lindee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lindee »

Elba,

I was so happy when I saw your post, but I don't beleive it is my family. This record shows Franks marriage in 1901 and this could not be because my grandmother Anne Cetta was born 27 July 1888 in Sant Angelo Dei Lombardi, Naples Italy. She came her in 1908. It is believed, her father Frank came here sometime around 1906 or so to New York; possibly Rochester. Since the Canadian water border is so close to that area where he was killed, it was more than likely in the Canadian terrirory. Are you sure "Dundas Street" is in Canada?

I went onto the Family History Libary website to look at the Ontario Immigration, but I was only able to see the microfilm numbers and no information. I don't have access to that.

I also checked the family history website for the information you found, but did not come up with the same information. can you post the link for me please?

I guess I need to keep digging to find the rest of my family. I really appreciate your help. If you are digging and come up with somethinglet me know. Thank you
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

wHILE RESEARCHING GO TO WWW.ARCHIVES.GOV/CONTACT/INQUIRE-FORM.HTML FOR ANY BORDER CROSSING RECORDS FOR HIM OR THE FAMILY BETWEEN USA AND CANADA. =Peter=
Lindee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lindee »

Peter,

First, it appears I overlooked your recent post about manifest for Frank Cetta. I have found some Frank or F. Cettas, but the timeline did not appear to be right.

In your last post you mentioned to look at border crossings into Canada. I should have been more clear; Frank, to my knowledge lived in or around Rochester, NY and was murdered in the Canadian territoriies. I don't beleive he ever lived in Canada. It looks like where he lived was very colse to the Canadian water border line.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I was referrring to border crossing records with dates of entry into Canada and reentry into the USA for timelines. =Peter=
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

If the death report IS the right one, and he didn't actually 'live' in Ontario when he died - he may have just been visiting or working there...who knows. He could have been staying on Dundas Street. Which DOES still exist in Ontario.

Now IF that is the right Frank Cetta who died, and IF he was just visiting, then (as Peter says) he must have crossed 'a' border to get there.... That is the border crossing you need to look for to find out where he came FROM!.
Lindee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lindee »

I will check this as Peter and you have instructed. To my knowledge the only way he got there was his body was dumped there. It is amazing what you can find out, isn't it? I will check it out anyway.
Lindee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lindee »

I came up empty on this search for Canada. I will see if there is another avenue to check. I wasn't aware that Dundas street was in Canada. I did not see Canada anywhere on the death notice. Ancestry.com is where I found the initial death notice.

You guys are great on this site. You give very knowledgeable and useful information. Without some of your suggestions, I wouldn't know to check certain documents or places. Thank you