Surname: GIAROLI

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Kmariewr

Surname: GIAROLI

Post by Kmariewr »

I am looking for family members. My great grandparents came to the southern US from northern Italy around 1900.

Any one have any information? :)
Essgee
Master
Master

Re: Surname: GIAROLI

Post by Essgee »

Kmariewr wrote:I am looking for family members. My great grandparents came to the southern US from northern Italy around 1900.

Any one have any information? :)
There are 8 persons with that surname listed at Ellis Island. Go to www.ellisisland.org and see if any of the first names click.

Now, generally speaking, you have provided very little information to go by. If you are looking for a specific person, name them...first and last. Give the exact year...or range of years, you believe they came to the US and where in the US they settled.

To end up in the South of the the US, there were many ports an individual could have come through...New Orleans being a large port for Italian arrivals. Not everyone came through Ellis Island.

The more specific the information, the better. Not everyone has a lot of information to begin with...but you should at least give a first name, the name of a wife and children if you know them....every little piece helps.

Let us know more to see if we can help.
Kmariewr

Post by Kmariewr »

Thanks for the link and especially for the helpful tips. I am just starting this and a little at odds with how to go about it.

Okay, so here is more information. I will try to see if my father has any more information next time we talk, but here's what I know...

My great grandfather came to the US with some of the other men in the family around 1900 to settle before bringing the rest of the family. I don't know his name, but since practically every American born male in teh family has been named some derivative of John, I believe its possible his name was Giovanni. (Perhaps my Father will know).

A few years after my great grandfather left Italy, my great grandmother (by all accounts the matriarch of the family) gathered up the other women and all the children and followed her husband. I believe her name was some derivative of Mary - perhaps Marie or Maria. Among those she brought with her were her three sons.

The family originally settled in the country area around Memphis, an area which was annexed by the city in later years and sold to developers. (There is a small street in Memphis near the area named after the family) I don't know the exact date that they family arrived in the US, but I do know that they were settled in Memphis within 5 years of arriving and my Grandmother was born here. Her name was Corinne Giarali, but since she was born here, she doesn't appear on any immigration sources. She was born in 1909, which places the Family in the US by at least 1904.

Is this the sort of information that is helpful? I will try to obtain teh names of my great grandparents, great uncles, and teh city in Italy where they came from soon.

Again, thanks for your help!
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

They settled in Shelby Tennesee and pursuant to the social security index there are 8 listed with 5 from Shelby Tenn. and 3 in Alameda California. Go to www.ssdi.genealogy.rootsweb.com and insert Giaroli and you will find the listing of the 8. If you wish information on any of the 8 you can write to the Social Security by clicking on the end under SS-5 which is the application they submitted which has all the informatiopn as to birth and parents names. I am sure when yhou speak to the family this will tie in with what your seeking. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

By the way, I believe I have already told you that there are 2 people in the province of COMO surnamed giaroli and if you go to the websiter www.paginebianche.it and insert Giaroli in the first line and CO in the third line and lcick CERCA the two listings will come up of the two Giaroli by full name,address and telephone number. If you wish to contact them by mail or telephone that should determine if they are relaterd to you. Peter
Essgee
Master
Master

Re: Giaroli

Post by Essgee »

Kmariewr wrote:The family originally settled in the country area around Memphis, an area which was annexed by the city in later years and sold to developers. (There is a small street in Memphis near the area named after the family)
Well...Tennesse was the key along with Corrinne...a less used first name is easier to track.

1930 census of District 4, Shelby County, Tenn.
Giaroli, John, age 65, married at age 29, born Italy, arrived in 1904, alien
-------, Mary, age 7, married at 21, born Italy, arrived 1907
-------, Louis, age 34, divorced, married at 25, born Italy, arrived 1907
-------, Anselmo, age 30, born Italy, arrived 1907
-------, Corrinne, age 20, born Tennessee
ED 79-174, page 3B

1920 census of District 4, Shelby County, Tenn. (indexed under name Gianoli), ED 64, page 12B
Garoli, John, age 55, arrived 1904, born Italy
-------, Mary, age 47, born Italy, arrived 1907
-------, Louis, age 25, born Italy, arrived 1907
-------, Frank, age 22, born Italy, arrived 1907
-------, Anselmo, age 20, born Italy, arrived 1907
-------, Corrine, age 10, born Tennessee

1910 census, Shelby County, Tenn.
ED314, page 1A
Giaroli, John, age 41, married 17 years, born Italy, arrived 1903
-------, Mary, age 37, married 17 years, had 4 children, 4 children living,
born Italy, arrived 1907
-------, Louis, age 15, born Italy, arrived 1907
-------, Frank, age 13, born Italy, arrived 1907
-------, Anselmo, age 11, born Italy, arrived 1907
-------, Corrinne, age 5 months, born Tennesse

Giovanni Giaroli, age 39, married, arrived on Nov. 17, 1902 on the ship St. Louis out of Cherbourg, Manche, France. He was listed as being from Bassiquana...but the town should be Bassignana in the Province of Allessandria, Region of Piemonte.

Maria Gadmone, age 34y, 11months, married and her children arrived on the ship Princess Irene on Oct. 4, 1906 out of the port of Genoa.
The children listed were:
Gaspare, age 12 (this is Louis)
Francesco, age 9 (this is Frank)
Anselmo, age 7
They were also all coming from Bassignana and wre all listed as born in that same place.

There are no microfilmed records for this town, so you will have to write to the town. The postal code is 15042.
Ufficio di State Civile
Comune di Bassignana
15042 Bassignana (AL)
Italy

If you are seeking birth records, as for a birth extract, not a birth certificate. The certificate only lists name of child and date of birth. The extract will give the name of the parents and place as well.

Hope this answers some of your questions. Let us know what we can do to help.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I still think you should communicate with the Giaroli's in the Como province and ask them if they are family. This will give you more information than birth records. Peter
Kmariewr

Post by Kmariewr »

:D Thanks Peter & Essgee! I am very impressed! I have been searching for a couple of weeks and only come up with random little threads which I lacked access to follow!

I have to finish writing my Master's thesis over the next three days, but next weekend I'm going to get started writing requests to people for information. I know enough Latin so that I can read Italian decently, but there's no way I can write. I suppose I will follow some of the links I've seen posted for other people and try to get form letters to send.

Thanks so much for your help! I'm so excited! I will ask my father tomorrow for any other information he remembers!

:D
Kmariewr

Post by Kmariewr »

Okay,

In talking with my family I got the names of my great grandparents confirmed and the name of the town where they are from. My G-Grand father was named Giovanni and my G-Grandmother was named Maria. My mother also says she has my great grandmother's maiden name somewhere and she will try to find it to verify it was Gadmone before I send off for information.

Thanks again for all your help!
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There is a MARIA GIROLI GADNONE, who arrived at NYC in 1906 aged 34 from Bangnone, Italy. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I believe it should be bagnone. Province of Massa Carrara, Toscana. It seems close enough to mention it. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I just checked and it is her. She was going to Memphis to join her husband. See ellis island .org website. She is only entry uner gadnone. Peter
Kmariewr

Post by Kmariewr »

Thanks Peter!

Kathy