Information about DI GERONIMO`S FAMILY in New Jersey

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
anac

Information about DI GERONIMO`S FAMILY in New Jersey

Post by anac »

Hello i`m ANA DI GERONIMO from buenos aires Argentina, my family is from SANTOMENNA PROVINCE OF SALERNO; I know from the registers of ELLIS ISLAND, that my great-grandfather came to NEW JERSEY,USA six times during 1905-1922, his name was FELICE DI GERONIMO and his wife`s name was GIUSEPPA ALTERA, also i know that he came alone to usa.
In New Jersey he lived during this time with his brother (GIUSEPPE) and with his brother in law (VINCENZO ALTERA), i would like to know if there are any relatives of family in santomena or in usa, my wish is to create my family tree and also i will be very happy if i could find new relatives.

thanks very much for welcome me into your group (my english is not very good)

GREAT-GRANDFOTHER: FELICE DI GERONIMO
BIRTH DATE: 1883-1884
MARRIED WITH: GIUSEPPA ALTERA

(i believe in 1921 came to new jersey one of my great-grandather`s sons his name was also FELICE DI GERONIMO at that time he was 18 years old, his other son came to argentina anD he is my grandfather, FRANCESCO DI GERONIMO)

THANKS AGAIN
ANAC
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Information about DI GERONIMO`S FAMILY in New Jersey

Post by PeterTimber »

There are about 10 Di Geronimo in Jersey City, NJ where he went to visit (see www.ellsisland.org website for arrivals of Felice Di Geronimo) and if you go to www.whitepages,com and put in Di Geronimo inthe red star line and Jersey City NJ there are aboout 10 Di Geronimo with addresses.
If you go to www.paginebianche.it and put in Di Geronimo inthe first line and beneath that put in Santomenna, (Postale 84020, Salerno province,Campania) and 10 persons who currently reside inSantomenna will show up by full name,address and telephone number.

Further if you wish to trace your family back to early 1800 up to the 1900's you can go to your nearest Mormon family History Library nearest your home in Argentina and rent out the microfilm of the civil records covering all births,marriages and deaths for that 100 year period. =Peter=
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi Ana!

here is an arrival manifest in 1929 for your great grandfather Felice, his wife Giuseppa and his child Pietro and Giuseppe.... They were going to Felice's house in Jersey City (Felice was an american citizen) in 23 Orchard Street...

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Felice Di Geronimo
Name: Felice Di Geronimo
Arrival Date: 6 May 1929
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1883
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Conte Biancamano
Search Ship Database: Search the Conte Biancamano in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 5
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_4485
Page Number: 98

Page 1:
[img=http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6412 ... se7.th.jpg]

Page 2:
[img=http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/8380 ... gt6.th.jpg]

Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

This is a possible 1930 census for Felice (born in 1883) and his family living in Jersey City:

1930 United States Federal Census
about Felix Digelonewmo
Name: Felix Digelonewmo
Home in 1930: Jersey City, Hudson, New Jersey
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1883
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Josie
Race: White

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Felix Digelonewmo 47 head
Josie Digelonewmo 45 wife
James Digelonewmo 20 son
Peter Digelonewmo 10 son
Joseph Digelonewmo 8 son

so it seems that another son went to U.S. (James, maybe is the Felice you are referring to?)...

[img=http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/7190 ... zx4.th.jpg]

Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Ana,

I'm trying to understand more about your Di Geronimo family.... :?

In january 1929 there is a boy Vincenzo Di Geronimo coming form Santomenna (where he leaved his father Felice) going to join his uncle Giuseppe Di Geronimo living in Jersey City, 508 Mercer street...
I think this is your great-grandfather son (James in the 1930 census) Felice you are talking about:

(i believe in 1921 came to new jersey one of my great-grandather`s sons his name was also FELICE DI GERONIMO at that time he was 18 years old, his other son came to argentina anD he is my grandfather, FRANCESCO DI GERONIMO)

here is the arrival manifest:

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Vincenzo Digeronimo
Name: Vincenzo Digeronimo
Arrival Date: 21 Jan 1929
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1912
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Ship Name: Conte Biancamano
Search Ship Database: Search the Conte Biancamano in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Nativity: Italy
Line: 18
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_4417
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: santomenna
Page Number: 84

Page 1:
[img=http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/8527 ... xz4.th.jpg]

Page 2:
[img=http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/9743 ... rp2.th.jpg]

In May 1929 your great-grandfather felice with his wife Giuseppa and child Pietro and Giuseppe arrived in U.S.

In 1930 the census shows the family living in Jersey City....

What do you know about them? Did they lived in New Jersey or they came back to Italy?

Laura :D
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

This is the Enlistment for the Second World War about Giuseppe Di Geronimo (your Great-grandfather's brother):

U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942
about Joseph Digeronimo
Name: Joseph Digeronimo
Birth Date: 27 Oct 1885
RESIDENCE: Hudson, New Jersey
Birth: Santmenna, Italy
Roll: WWII_2371875

[img=http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/8272 ... dp4.th.jpg]

please note that his address is the same that Vincenzo Di Geronimo gave at the moment of his arrival in 1929.... (508 mercer street, Jersey City)

and this is Joseph Di Geronimo family in 1930:

1930 United States Federal Census
about Joseph Digeronimo
Home in 1930: Jersey City, Hudson, New Jersey 508 Mercer Street
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1887
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Mary

Education:

Military service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View Image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Joseph Digeronimo 43 head
Mary Digeronimo 40 wife
Frank Digeronimo 19 son
Phillip Digeronimo 17 son
John Digeronimo 14 son
Mary Digeronimo 11 daughter
Joseph Digeronimo 9 son
Anna Digeronimo 5 daughter

[img=http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/8157 ... wj7.th.jpg]
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Possible death dates about Joseph (Giuseppe) Di Geronimo:

Social Security Death Index
about Joseph Digeronimo
SSN: 143-XX-XXXX
Last Residence: 07047 North Bergen, Hudson, New Jersey, United States of America
Born: 27 Oct 1884
Died: Jun 1967
State (Year) SSN issued: New Jersey (1952-1954 )

birth year is different but day and month match with his World War II Draft Registration Card...

Perhaps it can helpful for you research of living relatives give a look to the Ancestry.com messge boards because there are several messages about DiGeronimo's from Santomenna...

http://boards.ancestry.com/SearchResult ... _F0002BF1=

Laura :D
anac

Post by anac »

Hola Laura
Aca estoy de nuevo y para pedirte un favor, me enseñaste a buscar tanto que al fin tuve resultados con la página de Ancestry.com.
Buscando "all family tree results for Digeronimo" encontre lo que te copio

The author of this tree asked us to keep it private. Ask them nicely and they might share.
Santomenna, Salerno, Italy

Personal Member Tree

7 attached records, 7 sources

Name: Felice Digeronimo
[Felice Di Geronimo] otro posible nombre Felix Digelonewmo
Birth: 1883 - Santomenna, Salerno, Italy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(la verdad no se como copiarte el enlace donde esta)

Por favor vos no podrías entrar y ver si te permiten obterner algún tipo de contacto de la persona que lo realizó, como por ejemplo una direcíón de mail, o un domicilio, asi yo puedo contactarme.
Espero no te moleste mi atrevimiento y desde ya muchas gracias.
cariños anac.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hola Anac,

encontrè tambien que la misma persona tiene ese nombre en su arbor genealogico:

Maria Giuseppa Altera
Born: 1885 in Santomenna, Salerno, Italy

You will also find attached to this person

1 attached records
1 sources
3485 people in this member tree

pero es imposible contactar quien puso este arbor en el sitio de Ancestry.com....
El mensaje es:

We're sorry. The user you would like to contact (gcuster854) has elected not to be contacted by anyone regarding information posted on this site.

yo creo que usted pueda contactarle a esa direccion de mail:

GCuster854@aol.com

sin espacios....

porque si usted escribe el nickname estan varios mensajes que el escribiò sobre el sitio
No se si la direccion trabaja todavia... quizas usted puede hacer un intento y ver...
Buena suerte!
Laura
anac

Post by anac »

Hola Laura
Muchisimas gracias, a mi también me suena ese correo, lo voy a intentar, tambien hay publicados arboles de los hermanos de Felice, y también lei los mensajes, ahi aparecen muchos datos interesantes, voy a ver si me suscribo a ancestry. Despacito y con paciencia lo voy a lograr.
Laura soy muy amable en ayudarme.
cariños
anac :D
anac

Post by anac »

Hola Laura

Estoy muy contenta :D , ayer mismo escribí y hoy recibi un mail del sr. se llama Garry Custer, y me permitió entrar a todos los árboles de "SANTOMENA PEOPLE" , no sé que relación tiene con la gente de Santomena, pero me parece que un abuelo de él, era de Santomea, por lo que leí en uno de los mensajes de ancestry.

Igual él parte de la gente que se fue de Santomenna y fue buscando los datos y armando el árbol, en mi caso parte de mi bisabuelo. Por ejemplo a mi abuelo Francesco que vino a la Argentina no lo tiene en el árbol.
Ahora yo sigo molestando, como busco para atrás, o sea los padres de felice , la gente que se quedó en Italia, hay registros en ancestry de Italia de los años 1850-1860 por ejemplo, porque para escribir a la comuna o al Archivio di Stato de Salerno me faltan datos, yo sigo tus consejos. :idea:

Laura aca te copio un mail que envie a la Comuna de Laviano,

Mar del Plata, 09/11/07
Sig.ra Borriello
Del Stato Civile
Comune di LAVIANO
ITALIA
La Sottoscritta, si permette di revolgere la presente agli effetti di sollecitare abbia la gentilezza di trasmettere per POSTA atto di matrimonio di mio nonno conforme i dati seguito elencatiDI GERONIMO Francesco, nato in Santomenna in data 28/07/1904, figlio di Felice e di ALTERA Giuseppa. Cosí risulta della annotazioni marginali del resgistri di Atti di Nascita dell'anno 1904 di Santomenna numero 25."Con atto in data 19 Maggio 1947 , celebrato del Parroco della Chiesa di S. Maria Assunta in Laviano il (non si capisce la lettera) Di Geronimo Francesco si uni in matrimonio con D’Antonia Filomena di Giacomi, il civi atto (non si capisce la lettera) trascritto (non si capisce la lettera) registri di Stati Civile il 12 Giugno 1947 al N.8 Parte II Serie A."
Mi permetto di precisare che, assolo necessito le copie conformi all'originale, al fine di potere conoscere ma dati dei miei nonni e cosí potere incominciare a ricostruire la storia dei miei antenati italiani che desidererei lasciare ai miei discendenti. Nel ringraziare la Vostra dispinibilita', colgo I'ocasione per porgeLe i miei cordiali saluti.
ANA CARMEN DI GERONIMO

ahora te cuento porque lo envié,
mi papá me decía que su papá (francesco) había fallecido en Argentina cuando él tenía 18 años, pero cuando de la comuna de Santomena me mandan "atti de nascita" ( es la copia del libro original), en la partida figura esa anotación, puede ser un error de anotación de la comuna de santomenna, que sea otro francesco, o mi abuelo se volvió a Italia, cuando mi abuela falleció, (muy joven de un ataque de apendicitis), vos que vivis en Italia, eso creo yo, que pensas :?:
Espero que Peter también lea este correo, y asi se entera lo contenta que estoy con todos los descubrimientos y gracias a Uds.
Todo mi cariño y gracias por la ayuda.
anac
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hola Ana,

pido desculpa però soy un poco en confusion....
Desde el acta de nacimiento de tu abuelo Francesco parece que el se casò en Italia en el ano 1947.... y despues el llegò a Argentina?
De todo modo, usted fuè mas que precisa en tu peticion del acta de casamiento, el comune de Laviano enviò el documento?

Ana, usted no piensa que la familia Di Geronimo de New Jersey (Felice, Giuseppa, Pietro y Giuseppe) regresò tal vez a Italia? Yo creo que puede ser porque no encontrè ningun otro datos de ellos.... especialmente sobre los dos hijos no encuentro nada... :?
Sy ellos regresaron desde EE.UU. a Italia tiene razon que tu Abuelo Francesco se casò el tambien en Italia en 1947....

Que piensa usted?
Laura :?:
anac

Post by anac »

Hola Laura

Podés tener razón, que ellos se pudieron volver a Italia.
En el árbol que pude entrar no hay datos tampoco de los hijos, (pietro y giuseppe) solo hay de vincenso. Felice y Vincenso vuelven a ir a Italia y regresan el 5 de septiembre de 1932, vincenso viaja con la esposa, por lo que yo llego a leer en el manisfiesto.
Del comune de Laviano nunca tuve respuesta.

Aca te copio la entrada al pais de mi papá, que también se llamaba Felice, que me mandaron del Museo de la Inmigración en Argentina:

Le enviamos la informacion que hemos encontrado

APELLIDO DI GERONIMO
NOMBRE FELICE
EDAD 8 AÑOS
ESTADO CIVIL SOLTERO
NACIONALIDAD ITALIANA
PROFESION DESCONOCIDA
RELIGION CATOLICA
BUQUE CONTE GRANDE
PROCEDENCIA NAPOLES
FECHA ARRIBO 12/01/1935
NACIDO EN SALERNO

Con esta persona el mismo dia, el mismo barco, el mismo puerto de
procedencia, nacidos en el mismo lugar, la misma nacionalidad y religion,
llegaron:

DI GERONIMO, Francesco, de 10 años de edad, estado civil soltero, profesion
desconocida
DI GERONIMO, Maria, de 9 años de edad, estado civil soltero, profesion
desconocida (yo pienso que es la hermana mayor de felice, maría giuseppa)
DI GERONIMO, Maria, de 4 años de edad, estado civil soltera, profesion
desconocida
DI GERONIMO, Rosa Maria de,de 38 años de edad, estado civil casada,profesion
casera

Mi abuela se llamaba ANNA ROSA DI NICOLA, no pude encontrar la entrada al país de ella, y tampoco de FRANCESCO.

Yo pienso que mi abuelo Francesco vino solo a Argentina después del año 1926, ya que mi papá (Felice) nació el 21 de junio de 1926 en Santomenna,
y después nacieron en Argentina dos hijos más, Angel que le decían Donato, (y era menor unos 9 o 10 años que Felice) y despues nació Maria Rosa. Espero no confundirte, esos son mis tíos.
Después fallece mi abuela (anna rosa) y mi abuelo (franceso) se volvería a Italia?
Para no confundirte más aca te copio el mail que le mande al Sr. para poder ver el árbol y me parece que esta más clara la información.

Hello I`m ANA CARMEN DI GERONIMO. I live in Mar del Plata, Argetina, I was Born July 16th 1954. I find your mail in the Ancestry.com website and I figure out that you have family tree of Felice Di Gerónimo and Giuseppa Altera. When I see them I feel happy because they`are my great-grandfather and great-grandmother. I tell you that:My grandfather is FRANCESCO DI GERONIMO. He was born in Santomenna in July 28th, 1904 My grandmother is ANNA ROSA DI NICOLA She was born in Santomenna in October 27th, 1903Her parents are: Angelo Maria DI NICOLA and Maria Donata DI MARTINO My grandparents got married in Santomenna in Septembrer 6th, 1923They came to Argentina about in years 1930/1935 I have "atti di nascita" and "atti di matrimonio" of them. They has two children in Santomenna: MARIA GIUSEPPA and FELICE, he was born June 21th, 1926 He `s may FATHER They has two children in Argentina: ANGEL (nickname DONATO) and MARIA ROSA. I would like to see your Family Tree or share with me any information about my relatives.I wish you read my mail and if it `s possible write me because I ´ll be very happy. Thank you very much . (my english is not very good )

Laura espero no te moleste pero te voy a enviar un mensaje privado asi te puedo contar algo mas.
cariños
anac
tdigeronimo

Post by tdigeronimo »

My name is Theresa DiGeronimo. I am helping my husband, Michael, gather documents so he may claim dual citizenship in Italy. In my search, I came across this forum. I believe Ana is directly related to my husband of Jersey City, NJ. Here is what I know so far:
My Husband: Michael DiGeronimo; born Jersey City, NJ 1953

Father of Michael: Joseph DiGeronimo; born Jersey City NJ 1927 (approx); died 1968 (heart attack) Married Rose Maino.

Father of Joseph DiGeronimo: Giuseppe DiGeronimo (b: 1884 Santomenna, Italy; d: 1967 Jersey City, NJ): brother of Ana's great-grandfather Felice with residence on Mercer St. Giuseppe was married to Maria Guisepp DiNicola of Santomenna, I believe on 9/6/1923

Father of Giuseppe DiGeronimo: Francesco DiGeronimo (b: 7/28/1904; Santomenna. date of death unknown. Married Maria Guisepp DiNicola; date of birth unknown

If anyone has any information that might help us figure out how to gather all these birth, marriage, and death documents, it would be much appreciated. This is a difficult process, but if my husband can document his dual citizenship, he can pass it on to our son, Joseph DiGeronimo, who has been invited to play professional baseball in Italy IF he can document his citizenship! He was playing for the Baltimore Orioles in USA, but is now a free agent.
I was so happy to find this forum. I hope someone can help us find the documents we need. (I also wish I could read Spanish of Argentina!)
tdigeronimo

Post by tdigeronimo »

tdigeronimo wrote:My name is Theresa DiGeronimo. I am helping my husband, Michael, gather documents so he may claim dual citizenship in Italy. In my search, I came across this forum. I believe Ana is directly related to my husband of Jersey City, NJ. Here is what I know so far:
My Husband: Michael DiGeronimo; born Jersey City, NJ 1953

Father of Michael: Joseph DiGeronimo; born Jersey City NJ 1927 (approx); died 1968 (heart attack) Married Rose Maino.

Father of Joseph DiGeronimo: Giuseppe DiGeronimo (b: 1884 Santomenna, Italy; d: 1967 Jersey City, NJ): brother of Ana's great-grandfather Felice with residence on Mercer St. Giuseppe was married to Maria Guisepp DiNicola of Santomenna, I believe on 9/6/1923

Father of Giuseppe DiGeronimo: Francesco DiGeronimo (b: 7/28/1904; Santomenna. date of death unknown. Married Maria Guisepp DiNicola; date of birth unknown

If anyone has any information that might help us figure out how to gather all these birth, marriage, and death documents, it would be much appreciated. This is a difficult process, but if my husband can document his dual citizenship, he can pass it on to our son, Joseph DiGeronimo, who has been invited to play professional baseball in Italy IF he can document his citizenship! He was playing for the Baltimore Orioles in USA, but is now a free agent.
I was so happy to find this forum. I hope someone can help us find the documents we need. (I also wish I could read Spanish of Argentina!)
Correction: Francesco DiGeronimo married Anna Rosa DiNicola. (Odd that his son Guiseppe also married a DiNicola, but apparently he did.)