Help finding passenger record

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
brunetterecluse

Help finding passenger record

Post by brunetterecluse »

Hi all-

I'm new to the boards and I'm researching my husband's family in hopes of getting him dual citizenship eventually.

I'm having the hardest time finding when/where his great grandfather entered the US though. Here's the rundown.

GGF: Nunzio Quagliana (Quagliano)
GGM: Salvatrice (or variation) Coniglia (Coniglio)
married in 1901 in New York City
GF: Vincenzo Quagliana (Quagliano)
born New York City in 1902

The GGM seems to have come to the US in 1898 with her sister Serafina, and we've been told that the whole family (Nunzio, Salvatrice and Vincenzo) all left the US shortly after Vincenzo's birth (Nunzio didn't like the climate) and went back to Italy. The GGP's stayed in Italy but Vincenzo returned to the US in the late 20's and ended up marrying (first cousin allegedly) and staying here until he died.

Any ideas on where I can do some good widespread searches for Nunzio?

Thanks-
Alisha
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Help finding passenger record

Post by PeterTimber »

Vincenzo Quagliana, born June27,1902 died June 28,1990, Baltimore City Maryland. If you go to www.ssdi.rootsweb.genealogy and just put in Quagliana and then when you come across for Vincenzo'slisting you can obtain his social security numebr and if you wish to obtain a copy of his Social Security application SS-5 which has his birthplace and birthdate and his parents names along with other information.

If you wish further information please let us know=Peter=
brunetterecluse

I've actually already got a copy of his birth certificate, which verifies the names I have for his parents. I just can't find a record of his father coming to the US.

Thanks for SS Application tip, it would be corroborating evidence.

Alisha
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

In attempting to look for Nunzio's arrival I noticed you have never given us his town of origin in Italy which would help a great deal since without that information we cannnot even pick up a mispelling!! =Peter=
brunetterecluse

I don't have a town of origin, at least nothing verfied. The birth record for Vincenzo only states "Italy" as birth place for Nunzio.

The family says they come from Caltavuturo, Palermo, Sicily though if that helps.

Thanks for looking for me!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Caltavuturo 90022, Palermo province,Sicily. Will have a look for Nunzio's arrival.=Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

what was Nunzio real first name? =Peter=
brunetterecluse

As far as I can tell that was his real first name, I don't have any other names for him. His father's name was Vincenzo, so the name could be from either grandfather or someone else in the family.
brunetterecluse

He is listed as "Nuzio" on the marriage record index (have request for the actual marriage license, but might be a while).
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There is no Nunzio or Nuzio but if you go to www.castlegarden.org and put in Quagliana and go thru the names and see if there is another firstname that is familiar and do the same for QuaglianO (there are many as well) and do the same. This might help. =Peter=