Pinto surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rrudman

Pinto surname

Post by rrudman »

I need to know where the surname Pinto might have originated from in Italy? Any information would appreciated.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Pinto surname

Post by PeterTimber »

Pinto is listed in the italian surname dictionary as a base name with variations of Pintus, Lo Pinto and La Pinta. This surname is spread thru the south in the form of Pinto which originally was a nickname and with Lo and La Pinto in Sicily and Sardinia. By the 10th century is had become latinized as a surname Pintus and Pintullus and in central Italy and sardinia to Pintu evolving to its current spelling and use.=Peter=
Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Seraphina »

Hi,

My great grandmother's surname was Pinto and I think her family were from the region of Puglia.
The surname is certainly most common in southern Italy - Puglia and Campania -but is also widespread throughout the whole of Italy.

Sorry I can't narrow it down for you.

Seraphina
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The surname Pinto is listed as I stated above in the Italian surname dictionary and is of italian origin with its roots in Italy and not anywhere else. The surname extended itself thruout Italybecause it did not emanate from another earlier surname but started with Pinto as a first name and nickname and later becoming a surname. =Peter=
rrudman

Post by rrudman »

Thanks for the information it gives me a little more to go on.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

can I help you further since you have more to do?=Peter=
Felitti-Trimarco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Felitti-Trimarco »

Hello!

My great great grandmother was Rose Pinto DeSanctis. She was married to Pietro DeSanctis and the had seven children. The family moved from CT to NYC where Pietro had a medical practice. If I recall correctly, Rose died in the mid 1930 in Greenrich Village, living at her sons house on W 12th St. The town in Italy where they were originally from was Castelgrande.

Any connection?

Felitti-Trimarco
rrudman

Post by rrudman »

My confusion with the Simone and Pinto name is where they origianally came from. I have figured the Ricigliano connection is through the Palumbo and the Serritella. I guess I was under the assumption most people married within the same village in Italy. If I can find the original
ship they ( Antonio Simone and Antonia Palumbo Simone) came in on in 1885 it would solve alot of the mystery. The family has very vague information. Once Antonio and Antonia were here in 1885 they stayed until 1889 and went back to Italy. Of course, they had by GGrandfather
Savino Simone in NYC Jan. 1 1887 first. His wife Maria Serritella was also
born here around Nov. 1892 or 1894 in NYC or NJ to Vitantonio Serritella
and Caterina Salvatore. The Serritellas had a farm in Ricigliano which my GGrandfather Savino helped work once they went back, and then eventually came here to the Chicago area. I have not heard any stories
of the Serritellas and the Simones knowing each other until they both returned to Italy.