Newbie - Need address in Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
gemellua
Veteran
Veteran

Newbie - Need address in Sicily

Post by gemellua »

Ciao tutti!

I'm new here. I'm getting ready to send a letter to
Sciara, Sicily for records. is the address I've written
below correct?

L’Ufficiale Di Anagrafe
Comune Di Sciara
90020 Sciara (PA)
Italy

I took it from www.mangeruca.com site. That site also list -
ARCHIVIO DI STATO along with the L'Ufficiale Di Anagrafe
adress. What is the difference?

Thanks!
nazca
Elite
Elite

Re: Newbie - Need address in Sicily

Post by nazca »

Hi and wellcome to the forum,

Archivio di stato (state archive) is the office where all documents are stored (birth, married, death, military records and so on).
"Ufficiale di Stato Civile / Anagrafe" is the clerk officer of the city hall responsible of vital records. In a little town like Sciara (2.400 citizens) it is possible that "archivio di Stato" and "Vital records" are in the same office.

The correct address is :
Ufficio Anagrafe
piazza Castel Reale
90020 Sciara (PA)
Italy

This is the official website (only in italian):

http://www.comune.sciara.pa.it/

Best regards
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
gemellua
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gemellua »

Thank you nazca!

I have another question - If I know the year of birth for my relative,
but not the death (since they died after 1910), will the city hall clerk
still be able to suppy me with a death certificate?
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

Hi,
this is a good question...

it is possible (this is what i do for my genealogical tree) but it depend if you have exactly name of his parents and a possible date of death (for example 1910-1920) . I don't know if Civil records in Sciara are indexed (maybe is an old book) but it is a very small town and if city hall clerk have time to dedicate to you , he'll find your relatives. You can try ...

if you have another question ......

best regards
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
gemellua
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gemellua »

Ciao nazca,

Thanks a lot for your help!

I do know the exact names of parents to the majority of my
Sciara families. Your example (1910-1920) makes good sense.

I have to bug you with another question please – :lol:
Regarding my parental great-great-grandfather: I know who
his parents were but do not know if he had any siblings.
How would I find this out?
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

Hi (what's your name?),

[align=justify]the only way to know if they had siblings is a "sequential" search in birth records done by clerk . I requested this certificate of birth in some small town but i send the name of the parents and their date of birth or other informations, asking if it possible to search siblings of this married couple in a range of years (from marriage to next 30 years for example).
I hope you find a hopefully clerk in Sciara, like i found him in the past, who answer to your questions (better in italian).
if you have another question .....

have a nice day [/align]
gemellua
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gemellua »

nazca,

Thank you for the information! This is fantastic! I'm so
excited - I can't wait to write my letters and send them
off!! 8) You rock nazca!

My name is Cathy. Is nazca a nick name or
just a screen name? Do you have ancestors in
Sciara???
nazca
Elite
Elite

Post by nazca »

Hi Cathy,
Nazca is a nickname , a little town in Peru where i left my haerat and my mind....I think i dont have ancestors in Sciara, my genealogical tree start from 18th century and i have found birth records in Palermo and other other province. Take a look to my website (just a link below) is under construction but there are some informations about my family. i hope you'll find civil records like me. Where you live?

best regards.