Cerutti from San Giusto Canavese, Torino

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
DanM
Rookie
Rookie

Cerutti from San Giusto Canavese, Torino

Post by DanM »

Looking for more information on a Parents of
Francesco or Francisco Cerutti
Born May 2nd 1894 San Giusto Canavese

Immigrated to US from Havre through arrival in Quebec Canada on SS Melita Nov 26 1920 (Candanian Border Crossing)

Chicago Cook County Naturalization
Record Details for Volume 244
Page Number: 265
Declaration Number: 119965
FIRST NAME LAST NAME OCCUPATION
FRANCISCO CERUTTI LABORER

BIRTH CITY BIRTH COUNTRY BIRTH DATE
CANAVESE ITALY 5/1/1894 (Note: this record shows 1st of May WWII reg shows 2nd of May)

CURRENT ADDRESS CURRENT CITY
11024 MICHIGAN AVE CHICAGO

DEPARTURE LOCATION ARRIVAL DATE DECLARATION DATE
QUEBEC, CANADA 12/4/1920 12/24/1920

Listed father is Giuseppe Cerutti and listed as Residing in San Giusto Canavese

Moved to Detroit before 1930 (1930 Census)
Moved to Leechburg Pa before 1942 (WWII Registration)
Died Hammond Indiana

I do not have access to Chiesa cattolica. Parrocchia di San Giusto Canavese (Torino) but would assume he and possibly his parents would be there.

Any help woudl be greatly appreciated

Dan
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Cerutti from San Giusto Canavese, Torino

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Dan why don't you have access to San Giusto Canavese? =Peter=
DanM
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DanM »

Peter,

I do not have a Family History Library near enough to me and LDS does not have the records on CD (that I have found) or indexed in IGI.

Dan
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Please let me know how you make out with the LDS consultants in Salt Lake City that I furnished in your other inquiry..=Peter=
DanM
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DanM »

Peter,

Will do.
Maurizio
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Maurizio »

Hi Dan.
I live in the area your ancestor was from.
I won't promise you nothing, but maybe there's something I can do for you (just be patient for a few days). For now, I can confirm you that LDS microfilmed the church registers of the Dioceses of Ivrea, whose jurisdiction includes San Giusto's parish.
Ciao,
Maurizio
DanM
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DanM »

Maurizio,

Thank you very much even if you can not turn up anything I still appreicate the effort and help.

Dan
Maurizio
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Maurizio »

Hi DAN.
Today I had the chance to take a look for San Giusto's church records. I quickly examined the Baptism Acts in the decade 1890-1900, and found something like 28 newborns with the surname CERUTTI (or CERRUTI, with an often swinging spelling even when refering to the same family), which was (and still is) very common in that village.
Among them I could easily identify the individual you're looking for, who results to be born on May 1st 1894 and baptized the following day: so dates seem to match with those you already had. I also found two siblings: a sister Domenica CERUTTI born on October 9 1891; and a brother Giuseppe born on July 2nd, 1896. I took pictures of these acts, and if you want I can email them to you (write me an email or use the pm on this website to tell me your address, in case you are interested).
Also, you mentioned Leechsburg, PA as one of the places where Francesco Cerutti lived while in the U.S.: what I can add is that I found many people emigrated from this particular area of Piemonte (San Giusto and the close villages of Agliè, Feletto, Lusigliè, Cuceglio, Rivarolo...) who settled there, probably recreating a small community of relatives and friends sharing the same traditions and dialects. I know some of their descendents who still lives there.

Hope this helps.
Ciao,
Maurizio
DanM
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DanM »

Maurizio,

Yes please send me the images, I have PM'd you my email.

I know his father (Guiseppe) had a brother Giorgio Cerutti who emigrated in 1896 and was living in Chicago Illinois. He is listed as who Francessco was going too in the ship manifest of the SS Melita.

My mother Veronica Cerutti married my father in Leechburg Pa.

Thank you very very much.

Dan
Maurizio
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Maurizio »

HI Dan.
Everything matches, it seems.
Also, as you will see in the records I'm sending you, Veronica was also the cristian name of Francesco's mother: and renewing the name of grandparents in grandchildren was a tradition very often followed in this part of the country.
I'll try and check if among the other Ceruttis I found there's someone son or daughter of Giorgio (they should be first cousins of Francesco, if I correctly understood).
Ciao,
Maurizio
DanM
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DanM »

Maurizio,

Thank you so very much.

I see that Giuseppe's father is a Francessco Cerutti, and that Veronica Plazio's father is a Francessco Plazio. That is interesting indeed.

The repeating of names is common in other countries as well and during my research I have seen it in Sweden, FInland, Netherlands as well.

I would like to be able to find out more about Giuseppe, Giorgio's parents and of course the Plazio family as well. I have replied to you via email.

Again thank you so very much.

Dan