Croce - Looking up Croce Relatives

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
BenKline
Rookie
Rookie

Croce - Looking up Croce Relatives

Post by BenKline »

Looking for the ancestors (parents, grandparents, great grandparents, etc.) of the following:

Croce, Antonio

* b. Feb 28 1897

o Fugento, Italy

* d. Dec 29 1972

o Hershey, Pennsylvania

* m. Croce (Manno), Carmella

Known parent: Donato Croce (no known information)

Known parent: Anna Ranalli [Croce] (no known information)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Croce - Looking up Croce Relatives

Post by PeterTimber »

The town of origin is UGENTO, Province of Lecce, Puglia region. Go to nearest Mormon church family history library (www.familysearch.org for location) and rent out micorfilm of civil records for allbirths.,marrioages and deaths from 1809 to 1900. Rental is about $5.00 and bring along book Discovering Your Italin Ancestors by Lynn Nelson and magnifyin glass for handwritten entries which may be difficult to read. =Peter=
BenKline
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BenKline »

PeterTimber wrote:The town of origin is UGENTO, Province of Lecce, Puglia region. Go to nearest Mormon church family history library (www.familysearch.org for location) and rent out micorfilm of civil records for allbirths.,marrioages and deaths from 1809 to 1900. Rental is about $5.00 and bring along book Discovering Your Italin Ancestors by Lynn Nelson and magnifyin glass for handwritten entries which may be difficult to read. =Peter=
I'm sorry, I'm pretty confused. What did you just say/mean Peter?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

In Italy most records and documents are in the city,town or village of origin and there is no Fugento lkisted nor is there any Fugento as a suburb or hamlet leaving the only nearest possibility is the town of Ugento, in the province of Lecce. The telephone directory for Ugento does not have any Croce listed but there are 61 Croce surnamed persons in the surrounding towns of Lecce province. I then referred you to the micorfilm records for Ugento which will have all births,marriages and deaths inthe town from 1809 to 1900 which should have a record of your family for those years. I hope this will explain why I referred you to Ugento for tracing yiour family genealogy. =Peter=
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Here is a manifest for an Antonio Croce, a child. While this may not be the correct manifest, note the comune of origin, Frigento, in the province of Avellino.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0015
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Frigento 83040, Provincia Avellino certainly looks more promising than Ugento as the town of origin for your family. There are currently 3 persons in the town surnamed Croce. There are microfilm records in the nearest mormon church family history library (www.familysearch.org for location nearest your home) covering all the births, marriages and deaths from 1809 to 1900. If this town is your family town of origin then I erred and have to thank Misbris for catching my error. Sorry for any inconvenience c aused you. =Peter=
BenKline
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BenKline »

There's no easier way to find out the history/ancestors of a given person?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

You might wish to familiarize youirself with researching your own Italian Genealogy by going to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... earch.html

There is no charge for requesting documents from the place of origin in Italy and rental of microfilm from the Mormon church of the civil records for that place dating from 1809 to the 1900 is about $5.00 at the fa mily history library nearest your home. =Peter=
BenKline
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BenKline »

If I'm looking up Italian records, why would I go to a Mormon church?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The family history library of the Mormon church has microfilmed civil records for many countries of the world and Italy is included. The libraries are distributed around the USA and have facilities for you to use their viewing machines to study the microfilms and make copies. The www.familysearch.org website can give you the library nearest your home.Lots of luck. =Peter=
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

misbris wrote:Here is a manifest for an Antonio Croce, a child. While this may not be the correct manifest, note the comune of origin, Frigento, in the province of Avellino.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0015
Croce, in this case is the maiden name of Antonio's mother, Angelina who is joining her husband Giuseppe Rasolillo (sp?).
TomG
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TomG »

BenKline wrote:If I'm looking up Italian records, why would I go to a Mormon church?
The Mormons have incredible genealogy records. They have microfilms of church records from my ancestors' church in Belforte, ER that the church itself said were destroyed in the mid 1930's. The records go back to the late 1600's.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Do not overlook this very valuable resource, a treasure trove of original records! If you are fortunate enough to have your town of origin in Italy filmed, you can research your family as far back as the dates allow.

An outline written by member Trish:

volunteer at a Family History Center as well as teach a class there on how to begin your genealogy. I have written the information below for our FHC. I think it might be useful for everyone when they are trying to locate microfilm.

The proper way of obtaining microfilm from a Family History Center
1. You go to www.familysearch.org

2. Click on the tab on the top right called Library

3. Click on the words Family History Library Catalog

4. Click on the words Place Search and type in the town you are looking for. Then click the word search.

5. A list of the results will show up. (an example: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)

6. Click on the link you are looking for such a Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Vital Records. A new page will appear where it will show all the films for Vital Records

7. Click on the link you want such as Death Registries.

8. Click on View Film Notes and a list of the microfilm numbers will appear.

9. Click at the bottom of the page, For a printable copy, click hereand you will get a form to print out with all the film numbers.

10. Click print.

Ordering Microfilm

1. Now the FHC does not have all the microfilm in their possession.

2. You have to order the microfilm which takes 3-4 weeks for it to arrive.

3. It costs about $5.75 a roll for 30 days of viewing time.

4. If you need to renew the microfilm, it cost about $5.50 for another 60 days.

5. If you need to renew it after the 60 days, it will cost another $5.50 and the films can be kept on an indefinite bases.

6. Microfilm must be viewed at the FHC.

7. Copies are $0.35 a page.

Written and Created for the Family History Center of Cherry Hill, New Jersey - by PTCTM - Trish - 02/2006

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Meanwhile, may I suggest the following site, so that you can see for
yourself what may be accomplished using the microfilmed records.

CariniExchange

The site was created by member James Bianco, just click on resources.

Have you collected all US records, census, naturalization, ect., ect.,
for the family names provided?

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

The following record, if correct, list the exact place of birth:
MONTE ?? FINO-FIRO

Also note the sisters name.......