my Italian Grandmother-Angelina Cordani

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
angelc

my Italian Grandmother-Angelina Cordani

Post by angelc »

My grandmother was Angelina (Joanna Maria) Cordani born in Italy in 1883. I understand she came to Liverpool with another family who had an ice cream business and worked for them to start with. I don't know when. My first concrete evidence is the birth of her first child in dec 1915, Lina registered by Angelina Cordani in Feb 1916 with no father given. At this time she lived at 357 Mill Street, Toxteth Park and was a shop assistant, we think in a fish and chip shop. As far as I know no other members of her family came with her. I know nothing else about her Italian family except that her father's name was Antonio and he was a farmer somewhere in the north of Italy. Can anyone help me to find out where my grandmother came from or find out about the rest of her family. Anything at all would be wonderful.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: my Italian Grandmother-Angelina Cordani

Post by PeterTimber »

Have youi tried www.findmypast.com which is a paying website but first do a name check its free for that and see if there is a trace of the family. Also try the free BMD.com as well whic is a free site. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The website is www.freebmd.org.uk =Peter=
angelc

Post by angelc »

Thanks Peter. Looked at findmypast but main links appear to be regimental and I am sure, as a farming family, this is unlikely. Freebmd is no good for her birth as she was born in Italy. I do have marriage and death certificates but they don't give any more info to help with place of birth.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Regimental is not the only category. Perhaps if you selected any low numbers amongst the name checks involving birth, immigration, census and several other categories as well. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Postscript: there is a birth site for Angelina genevieve Cordani born in 2000 whose parents may be related to your Angelina?=Peter=
angelc

Post by angelc »

Thanks again. Going to visit a relative who just might have something more to go on. Will follow this one up when I get back.