Dual Citizenship - Lost Birth Certificate Please help!!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
JonCorrado

Dual Citizenship - Lost Birth Certificate Please help!!

Post by JonCorrado »

Hello, here is my story.
My Great-Grandfather immigrated through ellisisland in 1909. I have all his records ( BC, marriage cert, etc)
My grandfather was born in Cincinnati, OH in 1912, his birth certificate was held in a church, which burnt down, thus now record of his birth certificate exists at the local or state level. I have military discharge records, death certificate, census, tax records, etc. Everything except his birth certificate.

I have every bit of documentation except that, any ideas?
Can a consulate make exceptions?
He is deceased.

Thank you in advance for any help!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Dual Citizenship - Lost Birth Certificate Please help!!

Post by johnnyonthespot »

JonCorrado wrote:Hello, here is my story.
My Great-Grandfather immigrated through ellisisland in 1909. I have all his records ( BC, marriage cert, etc)
My grandfather was born in Cincinnati, OH in 1912, his birth certificate was held in a church, which burnt down, thus now record of his birth certificate exists at the local or state level. I have military discharge records, death certificate, census, tax records, etc. Everything except his birth certificate.

I have every bit of documentation except that, any ideas?
Can a consulate make exceptions?
He is deceased.

Thank you in advance for any help!
This sounds odd - the church burned and rrecords were destroyed, but what about the official state vital records copy? According to http://www.odh.ohio.gov/ASSETS/9C5FD918 ... /vsfaq.pdf, Ohio Vital Records has birth records from December, 1908 to present so unless your grandfather's birth went unregistered...
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

In Italy most documents are in the city, town or village of origin. A copy of his birth record is easily obtained. Can you pro vide suchinformation? have you researched ellisisland.org for his arrival which will have this onformation in the event thatyou do not know this place of origin?? =Peter=
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

PeterTimber wrote:In Italy most documents are in the city, town or village of origin. A copy of his birth record is easily obtained. Can you pro vide suchinformation? have you researched ellisisland.org for his arrival which will have this onformation in the event thatyou do not know this place of origin?? =Peter=
Peter, it's the birth certificate of the grandfather, born in Cinicnatti, that is missing.
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

Hey Jon,

what about the social security records is there any way you can prove birth from that, or failing that a court order or something? someone else must have had this problem
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

Hey Jon,

what about the social security records is there any way you can prove birth from that, or failing that a court order or something? someone else must have had this problem
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Have you tried to find the copy of any records submitted to the public school archives in Cincinatti for your grandfather. Perhaps the Archbishop for the area of the burnt church can funish a document attesting to his birth and/or baptism in Cincinatti which the c onsulate may accept in lieu of a birth record. Have you inquired of the Italian consulate what they will accept as proof of birth record??= Peter=
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

I think Peter has a good idea, now that I think of it my aunt's name is Edith, but somehow the Italian doctor in the usa put down Aida on the birthcertificate, as what kind of Italian name is Edith? This caused lots of confusion in her latter life, she never had a drivers license, but now wants to fly on a plane. She had to get her school record to show show her name is Edith.

I have an idea its a bit crazy but what about going into chancery court in Ohio and getting a court order, what would it say.... that your grandfather existed and such and such is his birthday and his fathers name was .... I am sure you could do such a thing. You would need an attorney, but it should be easy to do.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

May as well also obtain Italian Consulate approval for such substitution of birth record. The Consulate may not approve? =Peter=
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

what about this, this one is for vermont, but i am sure there must be something like this for Ohio.
http://www.uslegalforms.com/vt/VT-198-P.htm

Vermont Petition for Establishment of Delayed Certificate of Birth
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

OK... I found it, this is Akron , Sunnit County but it is a state wide thing.
There is no chancery court in Ohio, they call it Probate court, same thing,
you need to file a law suite, you may not even need an attorney, you will supply all that information you have to the judge and why you need a birth certificate and he will by the order of the court have one created.

http://summitohioprobate.com/CT_BirthCerts.htm
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Lots of luck =Peter=
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

hiere is hamilton county.... it could take a few months after the court order before you see a birth certificate, but you can get an apostile and you are good to go....
http://www.probatect.org/services/faqs/ ... #question1
JonCorrado

Post by JonCorrado »

Thanks All for the replies, The probate court seems to be the wayt to go, but how? It would be easy if my grandfather was still alive, but he's not. How do I file a petition on his behalf? Does his executer have to? Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
Jon Corrado