looking for gg-grandparents marriage records

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jeannierivera
Rookie
Rookie

looking for gg-grandparents marriage records

Post by jeannierivera »

Ciao

I rec'd my gg-gf birth record from Sorrento today - along with a certificate stating that no marriage record for Cordialino Davide (my gg-gf) and Rosina Guida (my gg-gm) existed. Cordialino was born in Sorrento and I assumed that Rosina was as well and they married there...

However, I did not rec' and answer back for my request for birth recatord for Rosina and Sorrento has no record of marriage..... any thoughts? I know they were married in Italy in 1884....

maybe Rosina was born somewhere else and they married there???
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: looking for gg-grandparents marriage records

Post by wldspirit »

From the Lds:

Marriages

Couples were generally married in the home parish of the bride. Typically, girls married between ages 18 and 25. Men married in their twenties.

Marriage registers give the date of the marriage and the names of the bride and groom. They also indicate whether the betrothed were single or widowed and give the names of witnesses. They usually also include other information about the bride and groom such as their ages, residences, occupations, names of parents, and birthplaces. For second and later marriages, the records may name previous spouses and their death dates. A note is sometimes made whether a parent or other party gave permission for the marriage.

In addition to the marriage date, marriage registers sometimes give the dates on which the marriage intentions (banns) were announced.

Italy Research Outline

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
jeannierivera
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jeannierivera »

If I have my gg-gf birth record from Sorrento - do you think there would be any way of me finding out where he was married if it wasn't in Sorrento, which according to the docs I got there is no record of marriage.... I have no idea where my gg-gm was born if it wasn't in Sorrento where he was born.

Also what is the italian word for great-great grandfather.... bisnonno for great-grandfather, but I don't know how to put the extra "great" in there??? I rec'd an email from cousins in Sorrento after writing a letter to all the Davide's there and they pulled records at the town hall...and found that my gg-gf and their g-gf were brothers! Looks like my gg-gf's younger brother did not leave Italy! My new long lost cousins indicated that they have a hotel there and if me and my family would like to come to Sorrento they are looking forward to meeting us...

What an exciting chapter in our lives...I now look forward to being able to visit with family there and see where my gg-gf lived was born and other still living cousins... I never thought when I began my family research that I would be so lucky as to find my living relatives... I hope this can encourage anyone else searching that the impossible is possible... 1 months ago I did not even know where in Italy my gg-gf was born and today I am emailing cousins in Sorrento! I had to share
jeannierivera
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jeannierivera »

Do you have any advise on translating emails - computer program - a service or anything like that... I used google translate and I know that the translation is choppy at best... I am working on learning italian especially now that I have someone to communicate with.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

One of the better ones is www.freetranslation.com =Peter=