NY Sottile family might be related to author Henrik Ibsen

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
thelebrity

NY Sottile family might be related to author Henrik Ibsen

Post by thelebrity »

I am trying to find living relatives of John R. Sottile and Margaret Sottile. Margaret was born in Norway on june 5. 1890, and was a granddaughter of the norwegian playwright/author Henrik Ibsen.

Alvilde Magdalene Henriksen, as her norwegian name was, emigtrated to USA in april 1910 after a brief stay (a year at most) in Richmond, United Kingdom, where she worked as a servant. In the USA she was called Margaret Henderson, until she married John R. Sottile in june 1934, and took his surname.

Margaret lived all her life in Brooklyn, New York after she moved to USA: In 1920/21 she lived at 333 Lewis avenue, in 1926 at 1141 Bergen street, in 1930 at 322 Macdonough street, in april 1934 she is listed with a c/o adress at Times Plaza Hotel, 510 Atlantic Avenue. When she married on june 8. 1934 Margret and John R. lived at 1210 Atlantic Avenue. In 1940 they lived at 1307 Pacific street. From about 1930 Margaret worked as a nurse, and she retired in 1966. Margaret Sottile died in october 1977, and is buried at St. John's catholic cemetary in New York.

John Ralph Sottile was born in 1902 in Italy, and worked as a truck driver and a mechanic. He died in october 1996 in Massapequa, New York, but he might have been living at 1243 Atlantic avenue as late as 1993. Margaret too might have lived at this adress when she died in 1977. John is buried at St. Johns catholic cemetary.

No children of John and Margaret are known, but John had one brother, Anthony, who died in 1998. Anthony is buried at St. Johns, at the Sottile family grave, together with his father Anthony Sr. (1861-1947), his mother Rose (1871-1958), Margaret and John.

My hope is that Anthony jr. has living relatives that could cast more light upon Margaret Sottile's lfe in the USA. Margaret was the only on of several siblings that didn't die as a child or very young, and it would be very interesting to find out more about this up to very recently unknown granddaughter of Henrik Ibsen.

If anyone can think of anything at all that might help me find living relatives or friends of this Sottile family I would be very grateful.

sincerely,
Per Helge Seglsten
Oppegard
Norway
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: NY Sottile family might be related to author Henrik Ibse

Post by wldspirit »

Have you sent for Margaret's naturalization record?
Perhaps she listed minor children in the application.
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
raymo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by raymo »

Hi Per Helge,

I went to the SuperPages phone book, and a search for SOTTILE in Brooklyn, NY reveals 10 entries. It's what we Americans call a "shot in the dark", but there is no harm in trying to contact those listed by letter, since the link includes their addresses.

http://www.whitepages.com/10866/search/ ... klyn%2C+NY

GOOD LUCK !!
Tamberino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tamberino »

Possible naturalization result:
Sottile, Margaret
year of Naturalization: 1940
Petition volume and number: 1048 290615
thelebrity

Post by thelebrity »

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I have Margaret and John's naturalization papers, their wedding certificate, social security forms, census entries from 1920 and 1930, and a description of the Sottile family grave at St. John's cemetary. What I would like to find is living relatives.

Do you know if funeral houses are permitted to give out contact information, that would enable me to get in touch with next of kins of people they have arranged funerals/interments for? And do funeral homes keep obituaries etc?
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

If there wasn't any information listed on documents with regard to children,
then finding an obituary would be your best option.
I'm not sure if the funeral home would have a copy in the file, different places have different policies.
And I doubt they would give out personal information on living relatives.
Accessing the obituary thru a newspaper archive, would be your best bet.
wldspirit

thelebrity

Post by thelebrity »

Thank you again. How usual is it to get an obituary in the paper when one dies in USA? And how usual is it to place paid death notices in the newspapers? And what about anniverseries; is it usual to have notices in the paper when you celebrate your 70, 75, 80, 100 year anniversery?
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Obituaries are common practice here in the Us, and special anniversaries
such as 50, 60, ect., are quite often placed in the paper.

Here is a link to one of the local papers, perhaps if you can locate John's obituary, it will list decendants and other living family members:

http://www.massapequapost.com/common/pubinfo.html

wldspirit

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Here is another paper, contact the archives and request a copy of the obituary for date of death:

http://www.antonnews.com/massapequanobserver/

Most public libraries also have an archive of newspapers on microfilm, contact them at the following:

http://www.massapequalibrary.org/email.html

wldspirit

thelebrity

Post by thelebrity »

Thanks again. I have been in contact with these papers, but only Massapequa Post replied (unfortunately they found nothing), so now I've sent the Observer another email. Hopefully they'll answer this time.

Do you know of any papers for the Rockaway Beach area (I know of the Wave), that might have printed an obituary for Anthony in 1998?
Tamberino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tamberino »

There are two families living in Massapequa with the last name Sottile. Did you attempt to contact them?

Benjamin over 65 years old
212 Riviera Dr W
Massapequa, NY 11758-8523
(516) 798-1149

Giuseppe over 65 years old
630 Franklin Ave
Massapequa, NY 11758-4131
(516) 797-7141
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I personally know of no other papers for that area, however you can try putting the name of the town+newspaper and see what turns up.
wldspirit

Tamberino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tamberino »

Newsday is the major newspaper for all of Long Island
Tamberino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Tamberino »

The date you gave has a bit of coincidence to it. Newsday has an article relating to the last name Sottile, but it is for milestones/births. There is a death notice in 1996 but in July of 1996. Unfortunately, you have to pay to read the article. Go on to Newsday.com and search, they have everything from 1985 to present.
thelebrity

Post by thelebrity »

Thank you for all your suggestions. Tamberino: I have tried Newsday, unfortunately I didn't get any hits on "my" Sottiles. I will try the Massapequa Sottiles in the phone book if everything else fails, but I have contacted the funeral home that arranged Anthony Sottile's funeral. They contacted his wife for me, but she married Anthony in 1981, four years after Margaret died. I don't know if she has any photos or anything, or any tips on who might know anything about Margaret. But I am hoping for the best...