Romanini/Polinelli (Brescia/Milan) + the Carbonari

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Carmilla5

Romanini/Polinelli (Brescia/Milan) + the Carbonari

Post by Carmilla5 »

Trying to track down info on my ggg grandfather Angelo Romani born circa 1802 in Brescia. Married Rosa Polinelli (born circa 1810 in Milano). Story goes that he is said to be one of the Carbonari, may have been friends with Giuseppe Garibaldi. Was apparently a Count but said that Romanini was not his real name (for protection). During the Austro-Italian War he joined the Democratic Society (Carbonari) and fell into serious political trouble. Aided by a firman from the Sultan of Turkey, Abdul Medjid, he travelled through Eastern Europe to Turkey. He had a passionate love of horses (just like I do). They finally got to India via Persia and settled in Bombay. His eldest daughter Regina married Richard Steves, British Consul, Tabriz, Persia. One of his 6 daughters, Maria Carolina married my gg grandfather George Gun Fraser.
Would appreciate any info and I'm wondering whether its possible to actually get a birth certificate, if not of Angelo of his family?
Mille grazie
Lise :^)
BillieDeKid
Master
Master

Re: Romanini/Polinelli (Brescia/Milan) + the Carbonari

Post by BillieDeKid »

Hi Lise and welcome to the forum. Do you know where in Brescia your ancestor was born? Was it comune of Brescia in the province of Brescia or you only know Brescia province?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear carmilla there is a listing for Richard Steves in the 1891 census in the www.findmypast.com website which is an english paying website and not very expensive. I am sure you can also obtain marriage record in India as well. Please let us know of your experience with this website should you use it. =Peter=
Carmilla5

Post by Carmilla5 »

Hi guys, thanks so much for your replies. Just realised re-reading my post, doh! spelled Angelo's surname wrong, it is ROMANINI not Romani and apparently a Count or so the story goes. All I have of him is his name and where he was born and the year he died. No other info at all except the info I posted. I remember when researching his daughter (my gg grandmother) who my family called her the Countess (apparently our Catholic faith and headaches come from her!), but this is the basic info I have on him at the moment, oh other than a lovely picture!
Many thanks
Lise :^)
Eduardo58

Post by Eduardo58 »

See a book written by Mrs Patrick Campbell (see Wikipedia entry), another descendant of Count Angelo Romanini. She has some reasonable information, which can be read online at google book search on "My Life and Other Letters". I am a descended from Angela Romanini (Carolina's sister) who married Henry Lacey.
cheers, Michael
RGordon

Post by RGordon »

Michael
I have sent you a Private Message re. Henry & Angelina.
Regards
Rosalie
bicycle

Post by bicycle »

Hello! I am descended from Theodora Romanini. She married John Cummins, and one of their children, Rosa, is my maternal great-grandmother. The Cummins family moved from India (where Rosa was born) to San Antonio, Texas, where Rosa met Norman King; they had two children, Norman, Jr., and Vera (my grandmother) and moved to Mexico. After Norman died, Rosa opened a tea room, and a shoe store, and then, in 1910, took ownership of the Hotel Bella Vista, in Cuernavaca. She wrote of her experiences during the Mexican revolution in the book, Tempest Over Mexico (1935). I have a photo of Count Romanini (not an electronic one, unfortunately, or I would attach it).
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

You do not say what your research objectives are in terms of genealogy. Perhaps it might be useful for you to read How to do Your Own Italian Genealogy Research freely in order to oreitn you. Then coming back to this forum with your questions would be more efficacious. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

bicycle

Post by bicycle »

PeterTimber: If your message of November 16, 2008, was intended for me, please note that I am not doing research. My intention was simply to provide Lise (Carmilla5) with information on Theodora, one of Angelo Romanini and Rosa Polinelli's other daughters.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

You did not head the posting to anyone in particular so I erroneously presumed you were trying to accomplish something. Sorry for any inconvenience.=Peter=
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Peter,

With all do respect, bicycle was trying to and did accomplish something. The poster has fascinating and important historical, biographical and genealogical information for Carmilla 5. How wonderful it must be to be able to read about your ancestors and their place in world history. :lol: :lol:
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I agree with your statement about the content of his message but since this is a genealogy forum where people make inquiries, the statement, very interesting and informative and not addressed was just that..a statement and I erroneously concluded that some information was being sought. =Peter=
bicycle

Post by bicycle »

Yesterday was my first time visiting this website, and therefore the forum, so I wasn't aware of the protocol. Thank you for the clarification and for trying to assist me!

Carmilla5: I would love to know what your photo of Count Romanini looks like. If it differs from mine, I would be happy to send you a copy of the one that I have, and would love to receive a copy of the one that you have.

Cheers,

Vera (named after my maternal grandmother, Vera King Barnett)
RGordon

Post by RGordon »

Bicycle,
Very pleased to meet you. The photo Lisa refers to is from 'My Life and Some Letters'. I've sent you a personal message.
Rosalie