Marriage Record Translation Help

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
momdotts
Rookie
Rookie

Marriage Record Translation Help

Post by momdotts »

I have a marriage record that no one seems to be able to translate.

Hopefully someone in this forum will be able to assist. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Barbara
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Marriage Record Translation Help

Post by liviomoreno »

Barbara, if you post it here, someone will try to translate it? In which language is it written?
momdotts
Rookie
Rookie

Post by momdotts »

I have been unable to attach the file as it is quite large - Any suggestions?
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hi!
You'll need to use an image hosting site
This may help:
Imageshack:

Save your document to your computer
(putting it on your desktop is pretty quick)

Go to www.imageshack.us/

Click ‘Browse’

Find your document on your computer,
Click it (or double click it)

When it appears on the imageshack page
- in the bar next to ‘Browse’
- note: don’t ‘resize’ it
Click ‘Host It’

After it loads,
(may take awhile)
Scroll down, choose the last option ‘Show image to friends’

Copy the address of your document
Paste the address from imageshack onto your post
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hi Barbara!
I hope you don’t mind, I’ve resized your documents so they’re only one page wide.
(I resized them on my computer, not on imageshack)
It may be easier for our experts to read them.
They’re still in the order that you posted them.
Valarie

document 1
document 2
document 3
momdotts
Rookie
Rookie

Post by momdotts »

I don't mind at all! Thank you very much for doing it!

Barbara
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

The images are too blurry... i can try but the transcription will be not reliable :?

Luca
momdotts
Rookie
Rookie

Post by momdotts »

Luca,

Thank you very much!

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Barbara
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

I'l try for tomorrow.

L.
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

Hi,
Luca is right, very hard to read. I've tried to decipher it in these last days and this is my result but I would like Luca and/or anybody else to confirm or correct.

Act 14

D'Incertopadre Adottivo Giuseppe
Iannelli Maria

28th(?) October, 1878

1st. D'Incertopadre Adottivo Giuseppe, 27 years old, shopkeeper (or dealer), born in Aversa, residing in Aversa, son to the late Antonio D'Incertopadre Adottivo and to Maria Scaringi, residing in Aversa.

2nd. Iannelli Maria, 22 years old, landowner (or property owner), born in Aprano, residing in Aprano, daugheter to the late Ferdinando and to Angela Maria di Martino, residing in Aprano.

It seems that the groom and bride didn't sign the act as they were not able to.

The groom's surname is very odd and I'm not even sure this is a surname.

Ada
momdotts
Rookie
Rookie

Post by momdotts »

Thank you very much! I can make an adjustment.

D'Incertopadre Adottivo Giuseppe

d'incerto padre a D'Ottino Giuseppe

It appears Antonio D'Ottino was not sure if Giuseppe was his son according to his birth record. Also, I have been unable to find a marriage certificate for Antonio & Maria Scaringo. I do know that Antonio married Angela Fabozza a year or two arter Giuseppe's birth.

Thank you so much again for all of your help! Wishing each and every one of you a very Happy & Healthy Holiday!

Barbara
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

X Uantiti:
Mi sembra che sia tutto giusto; l'unico dubbio è su "Adottivo" e per vari motivi: non sempre riesco a leggerlo in maniera univoca, poi alla dodicesima riga della seconda pagina D'Incertopadre e Adottivo sono divisi da una virgola (e in un cognome non è possibile) e a dodici righe dalla fine l'Ufficiale di Stato Civile va a capo ad-ottivo (o era analfabeta o qualcosa non quadra!).
L'unica cosa (anche per essere sicuri dell'esattezza di nomi e cognomi) è quella di chiedere la copia integrale dell'atto ad uno dei due comuni (anche se "Aprano" non so proprio che paese sia) o ancora meglio vedere se all'Archivio di Stato competente per territorio hanno le copie degli allegati ai registri dei matrimoni (ma in questo caso bisognerebbe vedere gli allegati ai registri del Comune citato nella settima riga della seconda pagina, ma anche questo non riesco proprio a capirlo, sorry). Visto che tu hai più confidenza con l'Inglese cerca di dargli un consiglio sul come procedere per chiarirsi le idee.
Ci sarebbe da dire molto altro su questa "cognomizzazione" ma entreremmo in argomenti difficilmente trattabili in questa sede.
Ciao Ada

Luca
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

Barbara,
your adjustment cleared up some doubts on the family name but still I find it very unusual that they stated on a Marriage Act "D'Incerto padre" which means "of uncertain father". Also, as Luca pointed out, the name of the town, which I interpreted as "Aprano" doesn't exist. I had another look, right now, also on the map but couldn't find anything similar. In case you know the exact name of the town, Luca was suggesting to ask directly the registry office for a full copy of the Marriage Act and enclosures (they might have a better quality version) or you could try with the town of Aversa. Anyway, you said you already have other acts and if this is ok with you then the problem is over.

Luca,
ma è normale che scrivessero che uno era "d'incerto padre"? Anzi una parola sola "incertopadre". E poi prima di "D'Ottino" io vedo una "a" per questo leggevo "adottivo". Boh!

Sorry Barbara the above it's just an orthographycal clarification I'm discussing with Luca and the oddness of stating "of uncertain father" on a Marriage Act.

Regards
Ada
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

uantiti wrote:Barbara,
Also, as Luca pointed out, the name of the town, which I interpreted as "Aprano" doesn't exist. I had another look, right now, also on the map but couldn't find anything similar.
There is a frazione "Cerri Aprano" near Santi Cosma e Damiano in Latina, Lazio. Could this be the place?

Also, while googling "aprano", I could not help but notice the large number of hits on surname "D'Aprano" which would lead this novice to believe that there is or was a place named Aprano.