Benvenuto? Benevento?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dragontear12

Benvenuto? Benevento?

Post by dragontear12 »

This is the branch of my family that is my "brick wall" so to speak. I am trying to find more information on Theodore "Teodoro" Benvenuto. He was Feb 18, 1889 in Acri, Italy. I know that he married Rosina Iaquinta in New York August 29, 1908 and I believe he died in New York in Kings County March 3, 1923. From the marriage record it says his parents are Francesco Benvenuto and Alice Ammunziate (which i don't believe is right).

Does anyone have any other information? I don't know who his siblings are or if his mother's maiden name is correct.

Thanks!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Benvenuto? Benevento?

Post by PeterTimber »

You can klocate this infiormartion in his immediate family status certificate -CERTIFICATO DI STATO DI FAMIGLIA STORICO which is inhis fathers name and will contain the names of his wife, his siblings and members born and deceased.

Send for letter to the Ufficio di Stato Civile, Via Roma 16, Comune di Acri 87041, (CS), Calabria Italy. The letter should be in Italian.

For such formleters in italian go to www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/saviello2.html

There is no charge and the service is free but you might wish to enclose $10.00 in a self addressed envelope since the poorly paid clerks research as anend of day duty and the wait time is usually6-8 weeks. =Peter=
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

dragontear12 wrote:This is the branch of my family that is my "brick wall" so to speak. I am trying to find more information on Theodore "Teodoro" Benvenuto. He was Feb 18, 1889 in Acri, Italy. I know that he married Rosina Iaquinta in New York August 29, 1908 and I believe he died in New York in Kings County March 3, 1923. From the marriage record it says his parents are Francesco Benvenuto and Alice Ammunziate (which i don't believe is right).

Does anyone have any other information? I don't know who his siblings are or if his mother's maiden name is correct.

Thanks!
On the 1920 census, I noticed that his first daughter's name was Nancy so there's the possibility that his mother's first name might have been Annunziata or Nunziata and the surname Alice.

BTW, my wife's paternal grandfather was Nicola Benvenuto also born in Acri in 1893, father's name Salvatore Benvenuto. He also emigrated to and lived in Brooklyn. Possible cousin to Teodoro?

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Interesting 1901 manifest for Annunziata Alice and children Mariano, ?, Federico and ?
Name: Annunziata Alice
Arrival Date: 28 May 1901
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1863
Port of Departure: Napoli
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: Citta di Torino
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 26
Last residence: Acri
Destination: Hazelton PA to join husband Benevento/Benvenuto

Biff
dragontear12

Post by dragontear12 »

Hi Biff!

It is possible that Nicola is a cousin of Teodoro. I found the 2 census records for Teodoro and they have his name listed as Theodore, i noticed that it says he was naturalized but i can't find the naturalization record (i have searched footnote and came up empty). I also have been unsucessful in finding his immigration record on Ellis Island. I have though of every possible variation of Benvenuto that i can think of as the most common seems to be Benevento. If the census records say he came over around 1900 that would put him at about 11 and I think that is too young to come over on his own so I image he had to come with someone! His daughter Mary is my great grandmother, we know she moved back to New York and married Joseph Cozza but that is the last we know of her....
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Take a look at the 1901 manifest above for Annunziata and children. This looks like the same family in the 1910 census.

1910 census

Name: Francesco Benvenuto
Age in 1910: 48
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1862
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Spouse's Name: Annunziata
Home in 1910: Manhattan Ward 14, New York, New York
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Year of Immigration: 1893
Wife, Annunziata
Children, daughters Bombina and Cristina--those look like the names I was unable to make out on the 1901 manifest.

Could there have been two Francesco Benvenuto's from Acri who married two Annunziata Alice's from Acri? Hmm.

I'm also not sold on the destination of Hazelton PA being correct on the 1901 manifest. Might have been someone just being lazy and dittoing the
previous location.

And the Federico on the manifest was 11 in 1901 which would make his yob about 1890.

Biff
dragontear12

Post by dragontear12 »

These definately could be possible that it is the same person. The 1910 census record for Teodore has him at Manhattan Ward 10 so that would make sense that the family lives together. I will see what i can come up with off of that and maybe through marriage we are related! We'll see!
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

1920 census for Francesco and Annunziata Benvenuto

Francesco and Nancy (Annunziata) Benvenuto in 1930 census in Brooklyn.
Frank on bottom of this page
Annunziata on top of this page

On the page which shows Francesco, look above to line 7 and you'll see Jimmy Benvenuto and family. That is my wife's grandfather's brother Vincenzo aka Jimmy and family.

Possible Death Record for Francesco Benvenuto
Name: Francesco Benvenuto
Date of death: Mar 4 1941
Certificate #: 5249
County: Kings
Approx year of birth: 1860 - 1861

Possible death record for Nancy aka Annunziata Benvenuto
Name: Nancy Benvenuto
Date of death: Jun 19 1944
Certificate #: 1377
County: Richmond
Approx year of birth: 1860 - 1861

Biff
emaresca

Post by emaresca »

I believe I can help you in finding info on your Gr Grandmother Mary, as I am a niece of Joseph Cozza. Please contact me.
dragontear12 wrote:Hi Biff!

It is possible that Nicola is a cousin of Teodoro. I found the 2 census records for Teodoro and they have his name listed as Theodore, i noticed that it says he was naturalized but i can't find the naturalization record (i have searched footnote and came up empty). I also have been unsucessful in finding his immigration record on Ellis Island. I have though of every possible variation of Benvenuto that i can think of as the most common seems to be Benevento. If the census records say he came over around 1900 that would put him at about 11 and I think that is too young to come over on his own so I image he had to come with someone! His daughter Mary is my great grandmother, we know she moved back to New York and married Joseph Cozza but that is the last we know of her....