immigration confusion

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
luzzicalcio

immigration confusion

Post by luzzicalcio »

Hello everyone,
I am new to the board. I have been doing research on my family, and have come across some interesting and strange stuff. I was hoping maybe someone here had some more info.

When my great-great grandomther (Teresa Feraco) came over in 1901, she brought her to daughters. While they were in NYC, she told them to wait on a corner and then dissapeared. No one every knew what happened to her. We still don't know what happened to her. Does anyone know if people disappeared like this, was kidnapping of immigrants common? Any info or ideas of how to figure this out is greatly appreciated! Grazie!

Giovanna
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There is something your not saying here...What ship did they come on and what were their names all three or just the two...even one will do and thats all that is needed even without the ships name. You have the year of arrival so there is no problem in tracing the "disappearing mother" by her name and town of origin and to whom they were destined. Peter
girty
Veteran
Veteran

immigration confusion

Post by girty »

yes seems very odd. Is there other info you have? have you traced census records. seems maybe someone in family may know more than they are telling..how old were the daughters left on the corner? quite a mystery.
luzzicalcio

Re: immigration confusion

Post by luzzicalcio »

Hi,
Thanks for your replies.

I know the ship name and everything. I have a copy of the ship manifest as they came through Ellis Island. The daughters : Maria and Caropita were 12 and 9 years old. The mother's name was Theresa Feraco. We've tried looking through various records, and just can't figure anything out. Supposedly the husband of Theresa (Angelo Zigaro) was living in Philly at the time, but nobody ever met him or knows anything about him. The manifest says Theresa, Caropita, and Maria were headed to see Angelo Zigaro. We know this man was the father, because we have Maria's birth certificate. They were from the town of San Giorgio Albanese in Consenza.

They came on May 22, 1901 on a ship called the california, departing from naples. We have this record, but at after that point, we don't know what happened. I think maybe she just abandoned the girls. But it would be nice to know more. Somehow the girls ended up in an orphanage in Manayaunk (philadelphia). Any tips on how to trace where Theresa Feraco went (assuming she just ran away) would be greatly appreciated!

giovanna
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The fathers last name is FIGARO not Zigaro. Peter
luzzicalcio

Post by luzzicalcio »

The father's last name was Zigaro. Where did Figaro come from? According to my records his last name varied from Zicaro to Zingaro to Zecchera, but no Figaro.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Look at the ships manifest on www.ellisisland.org. see her arrival and destined to A. Figaro in Philadelphia and she was 32 at the time she arrived which makes her birthday 1869. On the chance she went back to Italy and died there write to the town of origin and request her birth and death record and see what happens. Also ask for any other requests for her documents in the USA that appears on her records and put $5.00 in the envelope. She may have obtained a birth record in Italy with a different birth year since she must have planned her "getaway" in Italy. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Also if her daughter was 12 when she arrived in the USA then she must have given birth when she was 20 which means if her birthyear is 1869 she must have married when she was 18 or 19 which is about 1888-18819. Request her marriage certificate as well. Peter
luzzicalcio

Post by luzzicalcio »

Thanks for the help Peter. I will write the town. I have a question, we all thought that it was an Z not an F on the manisfest. Though I am not terribly familiar with handwriting forms in early 1900 America. I do have Maria's birth record and it says the last name is Zicaro, and on Maria's wedding certificate is says her maiden name is Zecchera. Not sure of the reason for the change. Anyways... That's interesting that Theresa could have requested a different birth certificate. I didn't think that was possible at that time. Thanks again for your help!

giovanna
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

What makes you think that documents could not be falsified even then..The only thing different between then and now is technology. If you trace the handwriting on the ships manifest you will see the "F" being written the way they wrote in 1900's. What makes you think the "Z" you are seeing is not an "F"??? Peter
luzzicalcio

Post by luzzicalcio »

I didn't think it was entirely impossible. It just seems really weird that inorder to "hide" yourself you would worry about changing a birth certificate.

I just presumed that it was a "Z" on the document, as the last name is Zigaro or some variation beginning w/ a "Z" on all of the documents I have; so I just figured it was a fancy version of a "Z". Never looked at it has an "F". But this could lead me into new areas of research into Figaro instead of Zigaro.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

She did not decide to abandon the children at the pier at the last minute. She knew then (even more so in those days) that you need documents stamped and with official tax stamps as well to escape possible deportatiion if she were encountered. I hardly think she knew USA laws but she knew that she had to hide in the USA if she wanted to stay and even then to return to Italy. Peter