translation help

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jolynn
Elite
Elite

translation help

Post by jolynn »

hello. could someone please translate this for me. " ho ricevuto la sua lettera riguardante il ramo di parentela. mi sono recato personalmente al comune di cervaro per effettuare delle ricerche sulla parentela e appena avro qualche risultato le faro sapere. i conte a cervaro non sono tanti e poterle dare presto notizie. a presto alberico conte. p.s. e di mia figli." i would be most grateful if someone could help, thankyou, john
tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Re: translation help

Post by tonyric »

This is from the google translator.

I received your letter concerning the branch of kinship. I went personally to the town of Chesterfield to perform research on kinship and Avro just a few flagship know the outcome. Count to the Chesterfield and many are not able to give news soon. Alberico soon to count.
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

ho ricevuto la sua lettera riguardante il ramo di parentela. mi sono recato personalmente al comune di cervaro per effettuare delle ricerche sulla parentela e appena avro qualche risultato le faro sapere. i conte a cervaro non sono tanti e poterle dare presto notizie. a presto alberico conte. p.s. e di mia figli.

I received your leter regarding the family tree. I went personally to the town of Cervaro to accomplish the research of relatives and as soon as I have some results, I will let you know. The Contes in Cervaro are not many and I will be able to give you news soon. Until then......Alverico Conte
PS and my children (or my dgt)
I think this is a typo (i miei figli is my children --mia figlia would be my dgt so I'm not sure which one he means.
jolynn
Elite
Elite

Post by jolynn »

hello, thankyou both for your help, it is appriciated, it is difficult using the google translator, i have tried myself and it usually comes out with a wrong meaning. maybe i am doing something wrong. i have enrolled on a lauguage course so i hope it will soon bring some results, they say you are never too old to learn but i am finding it quite hard. well thanks again regards, john
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

You're not doing anything wrong. What happens with translators is that they translate word for word - even place names or family names if they have a meaning like Conte is count. Sometimes when a word has 2 meanings such as "sole" it could be the bottom of your shoe or a type of fish. the translators don't know which to select.....can't decipher the meaning of the sentence so it chooses the most common meaning but other times, they work fine.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Rather than depend on Babelfish, I would invest in a good Italian dictionary. There are several to choose from in larger bookstores such as Barnes and Noble. Well worth the investment, and will come in handy for your course of study in the Italian language.
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

wldspirit wrote:Rather than depend on Babelfish, I would invest in a good Italian dictionary. There are several to choose from in larger bookstores such as Barnes and Noble. Well worth the investment, and will come in handy for your course of study in the Italian language.
wldspirit
To not give mention to WordReference.com would be a terrible disservice. :)

Not only as a dictionary, but also as a pronunciation tool. The language forums are extremely helpful as well, so long as you pose your question taking the forum rules into account...
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I have used that site as well, excellent resource. :wink:
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
jolynn
Elite
Elite