Surname Basso, Piedmonte area, Turin City

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sueannemarie

Surname Basso, Piedmonte area, Turin City

Post by sueannemarie »

8)
Good morning,
I am trying to fine my grandfather's family. He was born in the turin, area, 1886. What do i do and how do I fine out these things, his uncle was with Gabilarti.
Peter thanks for any help that u can give :lol:
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Dear Inaquirer are you sure he was born in TORINO (turin) and not some small town or village inthe province of Torino(turin)????? In Italy all records are in the town of origin so you need to know where he was born. As for his uncle go to www.google.com and insertt his uncles name and surname and then alongside put Garibaldi army. Peter
sueannemarie

Post by sueannemarie »

Thank you so much. I have done the google thing that is how i found out some information on his uncle. My grandfather said that he and his granfather herded sheep right outside of thurin. He also told many years ago about Jesus shoud of turin been in his home church.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

get the name of the town!! Peter
sueannemarie

Post by sueannemarie »

Thank you again, i will write the Social Sercuirty Dept and get a copy of that form he would had to put down his hometown, it will be a few weeks before i get the information. thanks for so many quick replys.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

That is my hallmark. I answer quick and expect you to do your own research save for some cursory checks. Peter
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

sueannemarie wrote:Thank you again, i will write the Social Sercuirty Dept and get a copy of that form he would had to put down his hometown, it will be a few weeks before i get the information. thanks for so many quick replys.
Perhaps if you list his full name, first and last, and where he resided in the US, we can find a passenger record that will tell you exactly where he came from...might be less expensive then the Social Security path.........
sueannemarie

Post by sueannemarie »

I have close to 1000 names but none in this family name. thanks and you do yourself good :lol:
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Thanks Susan...the weather is delightful here in lala land! Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Thanks Susan...the weather is delightful here in lala land! Peter
sueannemarie

Post by sueannemarie »

:roll:
better lala than here in LuLu
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

sueannemarie wrote:I have close to 1000 names but none in this family name. thanks and you do yourself good :lol:
Do you mean to tell me you do not know the name of your grandfather?
sueannemarie

Post by sueannemarie »

I know my grandfathers name but it is a common name i am told. he is john basso, was born in or around turin in the peidmont area, his father was tony and morther was maria she was from France.
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

sueannemarie wrote:I know my grandfathers name but it is a common name i am told. he is john basso, was born in or around turin in the peidmont area, his father was tony and morther was maria she was from France.
OK..Now, where did he live in the US? And when did he die? When was he born? Estimate if necessary....... What was the name of his wife? We can then find him in the census.........
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Ok....Found him in Kentucky...
1930 census indicated he was married, had two children, and came to the US in 1906.

Found no Giovanni that related to this at Ellis Island. But, in Torino, the surname Basso is not listed, but the surname Bossu is. One thing...in 1930 it state naturalization papers were applied for....this is the Declaration of Intent and he had to get citizenship within 7 years of application. So, think you cna find this paperwork from 1925 to about 1933. If you can get a copy of this, you will know where he was born, the port he landed at, and the ship he arrived on.

The census of born 1920 and 1930 indicated that his mother was born in Italy, not France. Do you know if his parents ever came to the US? Did he have a step-father? This was listed in the passenger records that might be him..just trying to see what is what.

Will check some more and see what we can find........