OMG, please help me

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
JMFL
Rookie
Rookie

OMG, please help me

Post by JMFL »

message edited,
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: OMG, please help me

Post by PeterTimber »

Since you want to correct a situation you might want to be very sure what you send in Italian language. Perhasp a translation service for pay might be the way to go since you are not writing very much the cost may not be overbearing. One service that I know is www.freetranslation.com but I do not know what they charge. =Peter=
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

JMFL, this is the translation of your lines:

Carissimi XXX e XXX,
vi sono molto vicina in questo momento di tristezza per la scomparsa della vostra amata XXX. Siete nei miei pensieri e nelle mie preghiere. Ora XXX riposa in pace nelle mani del Signore.
Con amore, la vostra cugina lontana XXX

I would not send the poem and the Sympathy card...
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

liviomoreno wrote:JMFL, this is the translation of your lines:

Carissimi XXX e XXX,
vi sono molto vicina in questo momento di tristezza per la scomparsa della vostra amata XXX. Siete nei miei pensieri e nelle mie preghiere. Ora XXX riposa in pace nelle mani del Signore.
Con amore, la vostra cugina lontana XXX

I would not send the poem and the Sympathy card...
I wholeheartedly agree with Livio here regarding the poem and the sympathy card. Difficult as it may seem, such things, though heartfelt, are not used here.

What you wrote, and Livio translated (in perfect Italian), is exactly what is required and what would be expected here in such circumstances.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
JMFL
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JMFL »

Peter,

You bring up a good point and I appreciate your comment. I will look into the site you mentioned for future correspondence with these relatives as I hope to have more meaningful emails with them in the future.

JMFL
JMFL
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JMFL »

Livio and Elba,

Thank you for your guidance in this situation. I would not have known about not sending a sympathy card in this situation. I will just send a short note with the words you have graciously translated for me.

I can't thank all of you enough. Thanks again,
JMFL
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

I don't think you have any reason to feel bad about having sent the card before you knew about the tragedy. I'm sure they will realise that.

Just send the translated note Livio did for you. I'm sure they will really appreciate your kind sentiments expressed in that. Then wait and see what they do and take it from there...
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

JMFL,

I know this must all be very hard on you and I can only offer my condolences and best wishes on your own situation.

If I can suggest that you may want to remove the actual letter from this site now that it has been translated. We had an incident a year or so ago where something similar happened and the poster posted the specifics here. Well google indexes this site several times a day and someone from the village saw it and it got back to the family in Italy before the poster had time to act. Needless to say, they were all quite upset. We don't want a similar experience for you..you seem upset enough. Let me know if you need any help deleting the sensitive info.

On that note, excellent job on the translation folks. You are all wonderful!
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
JMFL
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JMFL »

I dind't see a DELETE button on the edit message page so I just removed the text from the message and posted that it was edited. Thanks for your suggestion. This is such a great site, I don't post too much but I lurk often. Thanks again to all for your suggestions,
JMFL
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

JMFL wrote:I dind't see a DELETE button on the edit message page so I just removed the text from the message and posted that it was edited. Thanks for your suggestion. This is such a great site, I don't post too much but I lurk often. Thanks again to all for your suggestions,
JMFL
I removed only the names in the translation just to keep it consistent. We're happy you like the site. I think lurking can be good sometimes. People post when they are ready. :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
JMFL
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JMFL »

This is a good start but Elba's post quoted your post so the names show up in her post still. Should I ask her to remove the quote from her post?
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Oh good point! I can edit that as well..not a problem.

Thanks for pointing that out!
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

All done. Please let me know if I have missed anything. Eyesight is poor these days and am just waiting on my new specs. :oops:
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
JMFL
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JMFL »

Thanks for thinking of the possible outcome if the relatives saw it before my note gets to them. I know what you mean about eyesight issues, I'm still trying to get used to these progressive lenses. Now I understand what my mom was always complaining about. Oh well, my eyesight is better than what is was without the glasses.

Thanks again for all your assistance with this. I really do appreciate it. Now I'll go back into lurk mode for a bit.