Falco and Caravella from Camporeale

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Kenntak

Falco and Caravella from Camporeale

Post by Kenntak »

Hello, I am doing genealogical research for the purpose of discovering my roots and obtaining dual Italian citizenship. I have learned that my great-grandfather was Andrea Falco born in 1873 in Camporeale, Italy. His future wife, Giacoma Caravella was also born there in 1880. They apparently got married there and four of their eight children were born in that village. Unfortunately, I am not sure when Andrea (also known as Andrew) emigrated to the U.S., but I know his wife and four kids came over in 1913, and I have found that Ellis Island record. I know they lived in Newark NJ.

I need to obtain the official certified birth records of Andrea and Giacoma, and their official certified marriage record. The following thread has been useful:
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... art=0.html
as well as the sample letters. However, I am not sure how to ask for two official certified copies of each of the above records.

Interestingly, there is one Andrea Falco listed as currently living in Camporeale, I am not sure if there is any relation. Anyway, I would love to be able to get this information with one letter, but the advice posted with the sample letters advises against sending any money until the office asks for it. It would be great if I could email the request and find out the costs, etc.

Thanks for reading my rambling, any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Falco and Caravella from Camporeale

Post by ricbru »

Hello, write down a letter in english for Camporeale registrar, state specifically what u need (certificate for italian citizenship application or copy from real record for genealogy purpose) state names and dates also
we are here to help you to translate the text for you, and we also give u the right address where to send evething
ciao Riccardo
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Welcome to the Forum!
Just for everyone’s reference, your 1913 manifest

page 2
Lines 14-18
Giacoma Caravella 33
- joining husband Andrea Falco at 218-222 Bruce Street, Newark, NJ
Antonina Falco 15, born abt 1898
Santa Falco 13, born abt 1900
Sante/o Falco 11, born abt 1902
- possible naturalization notation 2-707760 2/28/40
Francesco Falco 7, born abt 1906
- possible naturalization notation 2-417727 2/10/36
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

possible 1906 manifest

6 Oct 1906 SS Italia
Line 3
Andrea Palos (Falco?) 33
- married
- last residence Camporeale
- joining cousin Salvatore Barbera at 47 Livingston Street, NY NY
- born in Trapani, Camporeale
Kenntak

Post by Kenntak »

Thanks ricbru, I will put together a proposed letter and post it here. I appreciate the help.

vj, regarding the 1913 manifest, you indicate that the 1940 date for Santo (called Sam) and the 1936 date for Franceso (called Frank) were possible naturalization dates. That's interesting, I was wondering what those numbers meant. I will contact my relatives about that. I know their mother Giacoma was naturalized in 1955. I am still trying to find out if Andrea was naturalized, but I doubt it. He was tragically killed in a car accident in 1925. Question -- if Andrea were naturalized, would that make Sam, Frank and his wife citizens of the U.S. also thus rendering it unnecessary for them to go through the process later?

vj, thanks for finding that 1906 manifest. The age of that Andrea is the same, but the last name, if it is Falco, is grossly mispelled. That's too bad. I ran a quick Ellis Island records search for the listed cousin Barbara Salvatore, but nothing came up. I have to dig deeper on this. Maybe the Italian records will indicate when Andrea left Camporeale.

I did find a New Orleans passenger list, arrival date October 5 1906, with a 32 year old Andrea Falco from "Camporcale". I note that the entry seems to be crossed off and that the arrival date was one day different than the above 1906 manifest that vj found. Strange.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hi!

Here’s a possible 1905 manifest for Salvatore Barbera headed to Newark
1905 manifest

This may help with naturalization notations:
http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/manifests/occ/

I believe that it would depend upon the ages of Andrea’s children if they were included in his possible naturalization…
Here’s a link about naturalization for women
http://www.archives.gov/publications/pr ... ion-1.html

Valarie
Kenntak

Post by Kenntak »

Thanks again Valarie, the information is fascinating.

I missed Salvatore Barbera the first time I went through the records, thanks for finding that. I note he was going to Newark, where Andrea resided until his death.

On the manifests, when a name is crossed off, does that mean they were not on the ship? I ask because the name Andrea Falco appears crossed off on the New Orleans passenger document.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hi!
Most of the time it indicated that they did not sail.
Infrequently you'll find them relisted somewhere else on the manifest.
More often you'll find them on another ship.
Valarie

About lined off names:
http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/manifests/left/
Kenntak

Post by Kenntak »

Here is a letter I am working on; I need some translation help:

[my address and email]

Comune di Camporeale (PA)
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via Marco Minghetti 85
90043 - Camporeale - Palermo
Italia / Italy

Egregi Signori,

[I am applying for Italian citizenship. In that regard,] per favore, mi potrebbe spedire [two official certified copies of each of the following records:]

Certicati di Nascita di Andrea Falco, nato intorno al 1873;
Certicati di Nascita di Giacoma Caravella, nata il 4 gennaio 1880;
Il certificato di matrimonio de Andrea Falco e Giacoma Caravella

Vi prego di farmi sapere il costo del vostro aiuto e come posso effettuare il pagamento.

Ringraziando fin d'ora per quanto potrete fare, Vi porgo cordiali saluti,

[my name]
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Kenntak wrote:Here is a letter I am working on; I need some translation help:

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Via Marco Minghetti 85
90043 - Camporeale
(Palermo)
Italy

Oggetto: Richiesta estratti atti civili - FALCO/CARAVELLA

Egregio sig. Sindaco, Egregio Ufficiale dello Stato Civile,
mi chiamo (your name) e scrivo da (place where you live)
Con la presente le chiedo di potere ottenere, i seguenti documenti, al fine di potere fare richiesta per la mia cittadinanza italiana:

1) Estratto dell'atto di Nascita (con paternità e maternità) di Andrea Falco, nato intorno al 1873;
2) Estratto dell'atto di Nascita (con paternità e maternità) di Giacoma Caravella, nata il 4 gennaio 1880;
3) Estratto dell'atto di matrimonio de Andrea Falco e Giacoma Caravella (di cui non conosco la data)

Se non doveste trovare niente tra i vostri documenti, la prego di inviarmi una risposta negativa.

Vi prego di farmi sapere il costo del vostro aiuto e come posso effettuare il pagamento.

La prego di inviarmi il tutto all'indirizzo di cui sotto.
Ringraziando fin d'ora per quanto potrete fare, Vi porgo cordiali saluti,

[my name - my signature]

[my complete address and email]
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo :lol:
Kenntak

Post by Kenntak »

Grazie Riccardo!!!
Kenntak

Post by Kenntak »

Well, it's been over a month since I mailed the letter and I have not heard from Camporeale. I wonder how long it will take.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Usually the office should reply within 30 days from the day your letter was protocolled.
Sometimes they do not reply, because the research is negative, and they can not afford envelope and stamp to reply to you
Did you attach any envelope to let them reply you? or did you send them an IRC? I suggest you to wait another month, after that we will see what is the best to do, maybe I can make a phone call for you
bye Riccardo
Kenntak

Post by Kenntak »

Thanks again Riccardo. I included a self-addressed envelope, but the envelope was not stamped. Hopefully I will hear something in the next few weeks.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

if you do not hear from them in the next weeks, remind me, I can make a phone call to Camporeale civil record office for you, if you want
bye Riccardo