mystery phrase in birth/baptism records Trento

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Coraggio

mystery phrase in birth/baptism records Trento

Post by Coraggio »

In 1851 birth/baptism records I found a phrase that doesn't make sense as I translate it and hope someone has run across it and knows what it means. In the box for the father's name was written "il retroferitto Domenico", for the mother's name was written "la retroferitta Manfredi" (no first name), and in the box that usually contains the godparents' names was written "i retroferitti". The closest I can come to a meaning is "the previously wounded/injured". I've looked at many, many records for this church and have never seen this before. Any ideas? Grazie mille.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: mystery phrase in birth/baptism records Trento

Post by suanj »

sootoscritto or sottoscritta or sottoscritti= undersigned
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

I think the correct word could be "retroscritto" (or "retroscritti") that means "written in the previous page" (literally: retro= dietro= rear). Otherwise it could be "retroriferito" (with the same meaning). If you post the image i can give you a confirm (or not, obviously).

Luca
Coraggio

Post by Coraggio »

Bravo, Luca! Retroriferito makes much more sense although that was not how it was spelled in the record. However, in the 1800s, too many words and names were spelled as they may have sounded to the person writing the record. Unfortunately, I no longer have access to the records at this time but I will say that the record was at the top of the page and may well have referenced a record on the previous page. Grazie mille, mille per la sua aiuta. Buon Natale....
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

Buon Natale anche a lei :wink:
I think that the word is "retroscritto" (it was often used, while retroriferito was not common): in the past the "s" could be written in a way quite different from the actual form. Look at this pic:

The third word in the first line is Franciscus, and the same in the third line the words mensis Aprilis and so on.

Ciao
Luca
Coraggio

Post by Coraggio »

Si, davvero! I wrote feritto and imagined that the f was an s and the e was a c, and it certainly could have been. Certo. You have solved the mystery, you clever fellow. Grazie altra volta, carino.
Connie