Register for Italian Military?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lilbees
Master
Master

Register for Italian Military?

Post by lilbees »

I was just wondering if, when some of my family immigrated to Tunisia and continued their Italian citizenship, would they still have to register for the military?

Would they register in the commune they were living in when they turned 18? I am not clear on the military requirement for registration.

lilbees

P.S. If they registered, in addition to the parents names would their be a commune of birth listed for them?
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Register for Italian Military?

Post by PeterTimber »

Consc ription of allmales of 18 years of age wasinstituted iin 1865. Every Italian male-even those obviously disabled-was and still is required to report to the draft board for a physical exam. Draft records list every Italian male who was born from about 1850 to the present and do who did not leave the country at an early age.
=Peter=
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Peter, could you post an answer to the last part of the question?
P.S. If they registered, in addition to the parents names would their be a commune of birth listed for them?
I know I am fishing for straws but I am trying to learn of the commune my great grandmother came from. All the information I have gives me no indication of her place of birth. I have 9 birth records and 10 or 12 death records and at least that many marriage records, none of which even give her age let alone where she was from. (Most records are from the Church records in Tunisia which give little information). 5 of the records are from Lercara.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I presumed that you knew that it would be listed since they have to register in their home town comune. But if you have the name and province or even the region try sending an e-mail to the military personnel office in Rome at URP@PERSOMIL.DIFESA.IT Please keep me posted. =Peter=
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Sorry Peter. :oops:

I guess I was not too clear. I am needing the parents place of birth which is different from all the children.

lilbees
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The information I have does not indicate the parents place of residence or birth when their 18 yearold son registers for conscription in his place of residence. =Peter=
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Thank you so much. Very appreciated.

lilbees
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

send the e-mail anyway...hey you never know! =Peter=
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Okay! Will do.

lilbees
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

At Trapani State Archive you can find lista di leva starting from the birth year of 1840, this is what is kept there, bye Riccardo

http://img123.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... stpde7.jpg
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

I am looking for my grand uncle Francesco's military record. He was born Oct 1875 in Carlentini. Would I write to the Trapani State Archive or some other one?

lilbees
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Carlentini belongs to Siracusa province
so you should contact Archivio di Stato di Siracusa.
Military record and military draft card state about parents name also
You do not find there where his mom is from
Riccardo
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Well Riccardo, it was just a thought. I have been over everything I have with no luck to even find a reference to her place of birth.

I have gone through any documents I can think of in order to learn that.

Well, once again, no letter or email to write. I will continue searching.

lilbees
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

her place of birth would be written on her marriage record and death record ciao Riccardo
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

The death record has neither her birth date nor her place of birth. Only the reference to Castellammare di Napoli.

I haven't heard back on the marriage record but the film for Carlentini has come in (again). But this time I will search for Antonio and Angela's marriage which I didn't do when I had the film before.

Thank you again. I will be going to the LDS library tomorrow. I will let you know if I find anything. I also have the film for the Allegati as well for that time period so it will take time to search through it.

lilbees