records of name changes

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
michaelross

records of name changes

Post by michaelross »

My gggrandfather "Michael Ross" immigrated here in 1895 with his sister Mary. I have been told by my grandfather, and his brothers/sisters, that Michael changed his name when he immigrated here; he was not born Michael Ross.

Is there a website that would record or give access to documented name changes?

Mike Ross
born: Jan 3, 1877 Avalena, Naples, Italy
died: June 1970 Pennsylvania, USA
immigrated: 1895 - do not know place of arrival - he lived/worked in New York for awhile, so he may have arrived there.

Thanks for any help.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: records of name changes

Post by PeterTimber »

The first obvious surname is ROSSI. There are about 158 MICHELE ROSSI who entered at NYC and a number of them entered the USA at NYC in 1895 (assuming you have independent evidence that 1895 was the year of entry) and a check of each of these entries at age 18 (1895 minus 1877) may be a lead for you to check out if you have not already done so.

Usually informal name changes took place after entry as a result of interaction with the new American society and its then arbitrary predjudices.
These informal name changes usually became formalized when people became naturalized US citizens with the original surname appearing ont he petion for citizenship.
You can also go to www.SSDI death index for information but bear inmind that many records of older individuals primarily those born in 1910 or earlier are abbreviated records that do not contain gthe names of the individuals parents and may not contain the place of birth.

Please get back to us if there are fruther questions. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

It appears that he arrived with his sister Maria Rossi who was 2 years older than Michele Rossi but listed as age 17 on the SS WERRA. Go to www.ellisisland.org and click on the combination 17 years old and 1895 entry and bring up the ships manifest after clicking on his arrival record. The manifest is in poor condtion but you can make out the two of them he being passenger #461 and Maria being listed above him #458 I believe. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There are about 27 Michele Rossi who became naturalzied USCitizens in the Circuit Court of Eastern Pennsylvania so if you wish you might want to check with the nearest Circuit Court to where he resided in the early 1900's if he resided within the jurisdiction of Eastern Pennsyklvania. =Peter=
michaelross

Post by michaelross »

I will look into it. Thanks so much.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

www.footnote.com has a 7 day free trial and there are 27 listings for Michele Rossi naturalzing in eastern Pennsylvania...way to go if someone with access to another paying website come to the rescue. =Peter=
scottie

Post by scottie »

My grandfather changed his name also. He was born Carlos Giannasi and changed it to Charles Gentles. I don't know if he did it legally or just decided to go by a different name?? Any clues as to how I could find our?
I think the change occurred sometime between 1901 and 1906.
Thanks a lot!
Scottie
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

changes occurred often during naturalization proceedings to become a US citizen..where did he reeside at that time if you know (Cit, town or village)=Peter=
scottie

Post by scottie »

Grandfather was registered as Carlos Giannasi in the 1901 census in Glasgow, Scotland. He was in the household of one Ezio Marchetti, my grandmothers first husband. He worked as a vanman.
They went to New York City, don't know the date they arrived there, but under his name of Carlos..and grandmother as k(C)atrina Marchetti. Were mar.there in New York and sometime before Feb 1906 were back in Glasgow as that is where my Uncle Eddie was born. They had two children together in NYC and neither birth was registered as far as we can decipher. Aunt Marrie was b.1903 and Uncle Paul in 1901.
I do have a copy of their marriage record at City Hall in NYC.
Thanks for you interest...I sure would love to solve the mystery of all of them...meaning her first husband and my grandparents themselves.
Scottie
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Did you ever check out the www.freeBMD.org.uk website for merry old? =Peter=
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

scottie wrote:Grandfather was registered as Carlos Giannasi in the 1901 census in Glasgow, Scotland. He was in the household of one Ezio Marchetti, my grandmothers first husband. He worked as a vanman.
They went to New York City, don't know the date they arrived there, but under his name of Carlos..and grandmother as k(C)atrina Marchetti. Were mar.there in New York and sometime before Feb 1906 were back in Glasgow as that is where my Uncle Eddie was born. They had two children together in NYC and neither birth was registered as far as we can decipher. Aunt Marrie was b.1903 and Uncle Paul in 1901.
Thanks for you interest...I sure would love to solve the mystery of all of them...meaning her first husband and my grandparents themselves.
Scottie
maybe you already have this record:

Carlo Giannasi and Caterina Marchetti married the 2 january 1906 in Manhattan, New York, certificate number 2185

Giamasi Carlo Jan 2 1906 Manhattan 2185
Marchetti Caterina Jan 2 1906 Manhattan 2185

http://stevemorse.org/vital/nymarriages ... iangen.org

more:

Carlo Giamasi Pedigree
Male Family

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth: , , Italy

Christening:
Death:
Burial:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parents:
Father: Giuseppe Family
Mother: Domenica Capitano

Marriages:
Spouse: Caterina Marchetti Family
Marriage: 02 JAN 1906 Manhattan, New York, New York

Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the marriage date.

Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:

M006350 Film

Sheet:

regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
scottie

Post by scottie »

Thank you so much!! I did have a copy of their marriange in NYC. I also knew the parents of Carlos...but no real proof of where they were from in Italy.
All I can go on is where so many of the immigrants during that time left there for Scotland. I would love to know if he is on a passenger list.
The story told to me by family members is that Carlos ran away from home when he was a boy and never talked about the whys or wherefors....
That mystery has been bugging me for many a year...the answer is there ...it is just a matter of finding it. It was just a few years ago that I found out for sure that Granddad was an Italian!!!!
Thanks again, Scottie
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

scottie wrote:Grandfather was registered as Carlos Giannasi in the 1901 census in Glasgow, Scotland. He was in the household of one Ezio Marchetti, my grandmothers first husband. He worked as a vanman.
Scottie
by this database:
UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960 > Glasgow, Scotland > 1906 > January > Furnessia ship
it are:
Charles Gentles age 32 engineer
Kate " 30
Charles " 5
Paul " 4

UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960
about Charles Gentles
Name: Charles Gentles
Birth Date: abt 1874
Port of Departure: New York, New York, United States
Arrival Date: 27 Jan 1906
Port of Arrival: Glasgow, Scotland
Ports of Voyage: New York
Ship Name: Furnessia
Search Ship Database: View the 'Furnessia' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Shipping Line: Anchor Line
Official Number: 76900

I believe this is your ancestors... or not?
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
scottie

Post by scottie »

There are many things that ring true about this info--but grandfather was not an engineer and was born in 1881. There should have been two more children listed, William(Willie) as the family called him and he was the oldest. Also, Marion b. 1903.
Sounds like they made it back just in time...Uncle Eddie was born 6 Feb.
Have never been able to find record of the list of them going back to Scotland. That is such wonderful news and sure is something to go on.
Again many thanks...and Merry Christmas!
Scottie