G-639 No Longer The Correct Form???

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
suddensam

G-639 No Longer The Correct Form???

Post by suddensam »

Hi. I am trying to apply for joint US-Italian citizenship through my grandfather, born in Italy, naturalized US citizen in 1951. My father, born in 1931, carries the right to Italian citizenship that he passed to me, provided however that he never formally renounced his right to it.

To confirm that, I followed the advice of a lot of posters and filed a G-639 FOIA request with USCIS, Dept. of Homeland Security. I received this response yesterday:

"We have received your request for records; however, this type of request is no longer processed at the National Records Center. A genealogy Program has been established to streamline and improve the process for acquiring historical records of deceased individuals....

Please be advised that we don't keep records for American Born Citizens.

For more information regarding the Genealogy Program, please visit the Geneology Program website at http://www.uscis.giv/genealogy."

It goes on from there. I visited the site and can find no information or form specific to what I am trying to do. Anyone run across this yet?

Cheers,

Sam
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: G-639 No Longer The Correct Form???

Post by wldspirit »

The following link contains an email addy where you can send an inquiry:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... 18190aRCRD

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
suddensam

Post by suddensam »

Thanks. I tried that of course, but was looking for any experience or insight from members of this forum. Not to disparageour fine civil servants, but it was they who instructed me to use the original, evidently incorrect, form.
tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tonyric »

After a month I am still waiting on the initial search from the online service even when I gave them exact information to process, names, dates, locations and all of the information from the NARA copy.
suddensam

Post by suddensam »

Tonyric,

Not surprised to hear that you are waiting a long time. That's been my general experience.

What data are you looking for? In my case, I am looking for a record of no findings, meaning that my father never renounced his right to Italian citizenship. My father was a native-born citizen of the U.S. and is now deceased. Is the online search in the Geneology section of USCIS the right place to go for this? Is that what you were seeking? Also, what is NARA?

Thanks and regards,

Sam
tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tonyric »

suddensam wrote:Tonyric,

Not surprised to hear that you are waiting a long time. That's been my general experience.

What data are you looking for? In my case, I am looking for a record of no findings, meaning that my father never renounced his right to Italian citizenship. My father was a native-born citizen of the U.S. and is now deceased. Is the online search in the Geneology section of USCIS the right place to go for this? Is that what you were seeking? Also, what is NARA?

Thanks and regards,

Sam
I am waiting to get the c-file number from them so I can order the complete file from them. I have everything from NARA but want to have the paperwork from the USCIS to back me up in case Boston doesn't take just the NARA copy. :)
suddensam

Post by suddensam »

What is NARA?
tonyric
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tonyric »

National Archives and Records Administration