Searching LANGIANO and BARBANO

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mdlang

Searching LANGIANO and BARBANO

Post by mdlang »

I am researching any info on the surnames Langiano, and Barbano from the Maschito, Italy area.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
:)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Searching LANGIANO and BARBANO

Post by PeterTimber »

Micorfilm of the ciivl records for Maschito are locateed at your rnearest Mormon family histiory library (www.familysearch.org) where you can rent out the film for $5.50 for all BMD's during that period. Bring along companion biook Discovering Your Italian Ancestors by Lynn Nelson and a magifying glass. =Peter=
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Welcome to IG.......can you be more specific?
What are your research goals?
Are you looking for US records or Italian records?
Excellent resource provided by Peter for your Italian research!!
wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The films go from 1809 to about 1860 or further so ig you need more later dates let us know. =Peter=
mdlang

Post by mdlang »

PeterTimber wrote:The films go from 1809 to about 1860 or further so ig you need more later dates let us know. =Peter=
Thank you Peter and wldspirit. I've put that book on order, and I'll be able to check out the LDS info on Tuesday. To be more specific on my goals, I am at the point where I've tracked my great grandparents to Little Italy in NYC, but am not sure how to jump across the ocean back to italy. Very sketchy information on where in Italy they immigrated from. I found their death certificates in the NYC archives, and for both of them it lists their parents names (whom did not immigrate to the US), but it doesn't mentioned where in Italy they originated. I found one Ellis Island record that shows a visit to Maschito, so I want to see if I can find Italian records that show BMD of their parents in that town.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Have you checked for naturalization records, which may list the town of origin?
wldspirit

mdlang

Post by mdlang »

wldspirit wrote:Have you checked for naturalization records, which may list the town of origin?
wldspirit
Yes, I've searched Ancestry.com extensively. I am surprised I can find nothing in the ship passenger lists, census records, naturalization records, etc. Somehow, even though I know they lived out their lives in NYC, they somehow stayed below the radar.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Since there are 18 barbano in all of Potenza province there are 7 in maschito which is a sure indication that Maschito is their town of origin. Send off a form letter requesting their Estratto di nasxcita (long form birth records) with form letters found in http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

Send letters to Ufficio di Stato Civile, Comune di Maschito,85020 (PZ) Basilicata. Find the zip code in www.nonsolocap.it and put in Maschito and you will see Maschito zip code which you put in after the Comune Maschito.
Takes about 6-8 weeks and there is no charge for anything. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Happy New year by the way!! =Peter and Wildspirit=
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

What are the first names? Date of immigration? Age at immigration? This will help us search. :lol:
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

If you would like, members here can search records for you, however I understand if you would like the thrill of the discovery for yourself.
Either way, we're here to offer any assistance you need. :wink:

I have access to Footnote which contains an extensive collection of naturalization images, let us know how you want to proceed.
Also helpful to mention any known children and their birthdates as well.
wldspirit

mdlang

Post by mdlang »

Yes, thank you guys again. What I have is:

Donato Langiano, born 1861 in Italy, died 1931 NYC. Immigrated to NYC about 1890. His parents both from Italy, with no evidence they ever came to US.

His wife Maria Barbano, born 1867 in Italy, died 1918 in NYC. Her parents both from Italy, with no evidence they ever came to US.

Marco (Later changed to Mark) Langiano, son of the two above, born 1893 in NYC, died 1952 in Massachusetts. I know most of this guys story.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

If this is the correct manifest, Marco came here with his mother at the age of 3. Can you confirm if this is the right Marco?

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0024
mdlang

Post by mdlang »

misbris wrote:If this is the correct manifest, Marco came here with his mother at the age of 3. Can you confirm if this is the right Marco?

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0024
Yes, exactly that is him. He was born 3 years earlier in NYC, so this was a return from a VISIT back to Italy. If you notice in the NATIONALITY column under his entry it says US CITIZEN. Also in the colunm for who is their contact in the US, it lists Donato Langiano as husband of Maria (I believe her's is the entry just above the 3 year old Marco's which makes sense that he would be travelling with his mother)

That ships record is the only one I've found for any of these people. I believe there should be original records of Donato and Maria coming to this country for the first time, which must be before the birthdate of Marco in 1893. To be a citizen at age 3 he had to be born in the US.

Thanks.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

If you look at column 15, it states that neither mother or son had been to the US before. Is it possible that Donato was naturalized and his son was naturalized with him even though he was in Italy? Some expert here might know if that was possible.

Meanwhile, I'll look for Donato's first trip.