D'Amario - Rossi/Castelguidone

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MsIsis

D'Amario - Rossi/Castelguidone

Post by MsIsis »

Looking for information on either of these two families, both from Castelguidone.

Gulgielmo D'Amario b abt 1870
Angela Maria Rossi b abt 1870

Both on board a ship to the US in March 1891, landed in NY, lived for a time in PA, then moved to AL. Used the name WILLIAM MARO in PA/AL. Someone in the family was a musician, as there is a photo with a violin the family swears was a stratovarius, that was stolen while everyone was at Angela's funeral in the 1935.

Family rumor: Left Italy because of a death - either he killed someone or saw someone killed.

Used a variety of mis-information after arriving in the US, including stating he arrived at a different time (When he applied for citizenship, stated he arrived in March 1885 at the age of 15), and saying he was from south america and his wife saying she was much older than she was. Sometimes he said his parents were from Germany, and sometimes he'd say his wife's parents were from Germany, though both apparently left Castelguidone, and both surnames are common there.

In addition, states he came to America to be with a brother. No trace of this brother has been found, but it's only been recently we acquired the definitive surname (D'Amario) from the passenger list.

Am looking for anyone researching these names in either the US or in Castelguidone.
Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

Re: D'Amario - Rossi/Castelguidone

Post by Esperanza »

MsIsis wrote:In addition, states he came to America to be with a brother. No trace of this brother has been found, but it's only been recently we acquired the definitive surname (D'Amario) from the passenger list.

Am looking for anyone researching these names in either the US or in Castelguidone.
Nice summary by the way..... :P

Here's a couple of Damario's who travelled in 1891 on the same ship..

Amedio Damario 18 Mar 1891 born abt 1870 Male Naples, Italy Italian Cachar
Epifanio Damario 18 Mar 1891 Female Naples, Italy Italian Cachar
Guglielmo Damario 18 Mar 1891 abt 1870 Male Naples, Italy Italian Cachar

Also... a few days later...
G Damario 13 Apr 1891 abt 1890 Male Naples and Palermo, Italy and Gibraltar Italian Anglia

For the time that he lived in PA... do you have an address?
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi MsIsis,

Have you placed them on any census records?

Do you documentation that comfirms town of birth as Castelguidone? Have parents' names?

The LDS Church has filmed the civil records for Castelguidone 1809 to 1900. You can get the film information by doing a "place search here.>

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... t_fhlc.asp

Yoou can also locate your nearest LDS-Family History Center by clicking on the tab "Family History Center."

If you need information on obtaining these films, check this link.>

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... =2581.html

Let us know if you have any questions or need further assistance. We are here to help.

Hope this helps & good luck with your research.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Possible record for William:

1930 United States Federal Census
Name: William Maro
Home in 1930: Newburg, Franklin, Alabama
Estimated birth year: abt 1866
Birthplace: Pennsylvania
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Angeline
Race: White
Age at first marriage: 21 for both
Parents' birthplace:
William's father: Germany, mother:Italy.
Angeline, and both parents: Italy.
Household Members: Name Age
William Maro 64
Angeline Maro 64

I take it this is their son James and his family? Living right next door.....

Name: James Maro
Home in 1930: Newburg, Franklin, Alabama
Estimated birth year: abt 1896
Birthplace: Pennsylvania
Spouse's name: Maranda
James Maro 34
Maranda Maro 33
Wallace W Maro 13
Odis S Maro 6
Victoria Maro 3

Possible relative??

Name: Tomnie Maro
Home in 1930: Precinct 19, Jefferson, Alabama
Estimated birth year: abt 1874
Birthplace: Italy
Spouse's name: Martha
Parents' birthplace: Italy
Tomnie Maro 56
Martha Maro 44
James Maro 20
Tomnie Maro 16
Ida Maro 14
Melvin Maro 7

wldspirit
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

If this is the son of William, he states birthplace of LANCASTER, PA, and based on birthdate, immigration is confirmed as being prior to 1895.

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
Name: James Maro
City: Not Stated
County: Franklin
State: Alabama
Birthplace: Pennsylvania;United States of America
Birth Date: 20 Mar 1895
Race: Caucasian (White)
Roll: 1509386

Information for son Willie, also born in PA:

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Willie Maro
Name: Willie Maro
City: Not Stated
County: Franklin
State: Alabama
Birth Date: 29 Aug 1899
Roll: 1509386
DraftBoard: 0

Hopefully one of our members can use these clues to help locate other family members.

wldspirit
MsIsis

Post by MsIsis »

Hi all.

Thanks so much. Yes, the records you pulled from the census information is the same man. It's his naturalization paperwork that gives the city as Castelguidone, though he lies about his arrival date, and gives no ship name.

I've looked at the other D'Amario's on board the same ship, and while I cannot decipher their origins, they don't seem to be connected, though that's not a proven fact yet. One I'm not even sure her name actually IS D'Amario - that's not what it looks like to me on the document. I wish ancestry allowed you to do a search by CITY of origin, to make things easier. :D

The Maro family mentioned, we did contact them, and there is no connection that we can find.

I appreciate the assistance. :) I have no idea of William's parents names, or Angela's. The family was never spoken of, according to my Great Aunts/Uncles/Grandfather.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

"I wish ancestry allowed you to do a search by CITY of origin,
to make things easier."

Hi! :D
For the Ellis Island years not covered by
Steve Morse's Gold One Step Form...
Have you tried the Steve Morse one-step form
for the ancestry.com ship lists?
There are quite a few more search fields than
on ancestry itself.
The search takes you right to ancestry.
(note, subscription to ancestry required)
Success is probably determined by what fields
ancestry transcribed?
vj

This site: Steve Morse Other One-Step Forms
In the folder:
Castle Garden years (1855-1891) plus other New York Arrivals
The first option:
All NY Passengers (1820-1957):
Searching for Ellis Island and Castle Garden Passengers in One Step
MsIsis

Post by MsIsis »

Thank you VJ, no I was not aware of that interface! Thank you so much. I was able to pull all those who were from the same town, but none have names of interest. Per this interface, Guglilelmo was the only D'Amario to come from his home town. Of course, that's with Ancestry understanding the name of his town (I only looked for castel* instead of castelguidone). I also searched for the wife's maiden name. There's nothing along those lines either.

The search is not perfect though. I know there was another D'Amario who came over in 1920, aboard a ship that diverted due to an ice berg. Her family lives in California. LIke you said, success is based on what Ancestry transcribed.... and I know that's not perfect.
cmaggerise

Post by cmaggerise »

wldspirt-This is my grandparents, the spouse's name is Mirandy not Maranda. They did not live in Newburg, they lived in Oak Grove, near PhilCampbell. I know this for a fact, since we still own 2 acres of the family property, and when I was a child went to the old house several times, until it was burned in a forest fire, I still remember the old organ and the furniture in the old homeplace. :wink: Williams spouse name is not Angeline but Angelea its on her tombstone. They had two sons, my grandfather, James Joseph, and Willie. My grandparents had 5 children Wallace Willard, Odis Stephenson, Victoria, Lenoria and Veolene. My Mother is alive and tells the stories of her Father and grandparents coming on a ship from Italy and then living in Penn. followed by moving to Alabama, says there was never mention of murder of killing. They did have money when they came here but with the lanquage barrier and lack of understanding of American ways, lost it to unsruptoulous people. Mother says my grandparents spoke very little English. No mention has been made of whether they were D'Amarios or not, she believes she heard them talk about changing their name to make it easier to understand for Americans to Maro, but doesn't know what it was prior, all records were burned in the family home when I was a small child. We do have pictures of 2 very lovely ladies taken somewhere in Italy. My great grandfather spoke only Italian no other language and no mention was made of Germany or South America to my Mother or her siblings. Hope this clears up some misconceptions.
cmaggerise

Post by cmaggerise »

While I am talking; My husbands family came from Sicily, they are Maggerise. all of the men including my husband have the middle name Andulfo. Does anyone know of them?
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Welcome to ItalianGenealogy!!
The information provided was taken from a paid database, Ancestry.
I have no control over the transcription process or a vested interest in this family.....note the words POSSIBLE and IF, when researching any family I provide no confirmation as to the validity of the record unless confirmed by the poster.
wldspirit :D

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."