Translation help: 1 birth record, 1 death record (1856)

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
dmauer

Translation help: 1 birth record, 1 death record (1856)

Post by dmauer »

Hello all!

Was hoping someone could give me a hand with the translation of two records. First is a birth record for Salvatore Di Giorgio (my great great grandfather), born 1856 to Antonino Di Giorgio and Maria Cincotta. It spans two pages:

Image Image

...The second record is a death record which I have no idea how to read at all; however, it contains the name Maria Cincotta, so I'm wondering if it's her or a relative:

Thanks a ton!!

-Dan
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Re: Translation help: 1 birth record, 1 death record (1856)

Post by Sirena »

On Feb. 18, 1856 at 4:00 pm, Francysca Star Cagliaro(sp?) a 63 yr old midwife declared that a masculine child was born to Maria the legitimate wife of Antonio, she was 24, resident of Malfa and to Antonino, 23 yr. old farmer on 2/18 at 11:00 am in their own home.
The right hand column states that Salvadore was baptized on the same day.
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

The other is a death certificate stating that in Malfa province of Messina the 2 persons named (can't read the names too well) declared at 4:00 in the afternoon on March 12, 1856 that Maria had died the same day at 9:00 in the morning at age 38.
This might be the same person but they got the age wrong. On the birth certificate the month before, she was only 24. Maybe there is a longer version that may list her parents' or husband's names.
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

oops I just scrolled down and saw the rest of that death certificate which states that she was born in Malfa and was the daughter of the late Lorenzo and Bartolomea Megna. If you know these were Maria's parents, then the age is incorrect.
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

Sirena wrote:On Feb. 18, 1856 at 4:00 pm, Francesca Starcagliano (or Stancagliano) a 63 yr old midwife declared that a masculine child was born to Maria Cincotta the legitimate wife of Antonino di Giorgio (Surname), she was 24, resident of Malfa and to Antonino di Giorgio, 26 yr. porter on 2/18 at 11:00 am in their own home.
The right hand column states that Salvadore was baptized on the same day.

The other is a death certificate stating that in Malfa province of Messina the 2 persons named Filippo Beneatti(!) 33y.o farmer and Felice Cincotta 48 y.o. farmer declared at 4:00 in the afternoon on March 12, 1856 that Maria daughter of the late Lorenzo and the late Bartolomea Megna had died the same day at 9:00 in the morning at age 38.
This might be the same person but they got the age wrong. On the birth certificate the month before, she was only 24. Maybe there is a longer version that may list her parents' or husband's names.
Luca
dmauer

Post by dmauer »

Thanks!!

So do you folks think that might be my Maria Cincotta on the death record, or does it seem pretty unlikely? I know that on that island, Cincotta was quite a common name, so it seems to me more plausible that it's a different Maria... but I haven't yet found any information about Maria's parents yet, so who knows....

-dan
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

You needs more documents to verify! The different ages are not significant because it was a very common error (but it's also true that 14 years are very much!!!).

Luca
dmauer

Post by dmauer »

Yes, I have to think it's highly unlikely that the death record is for my Maria Cincotta. Ah well. Many more records to look through!

-dan
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

The easiest step might be that since you know Maria was 24 in 1865, look for her birth certificate in 1840-1841. Her parent's names will be on it.