Mariners

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Mariners

Post by suanj »

venice wrote:Hi Peter,

I am still trying to trace my great grandfathers family and to date have had no luck in Australia through the archives here. Name Giuseppe Amendola born 1858, so I am assuming that he may have been fishing before he reached Australia in 1888. He was listed as a fisherman here,but I am unable to locate any form of record.I got this information fron the voters list here

Ive taken the earliest possible age as 18 which would mean looking around 1876. Have located the largest population of Amendolas around Napoli and then have looked at Calabria.

Are there any lists kept of fisherman during this time?

If you point me in the right direction I am happy to do the research and emailing.

Once again thank you for your help
I believe that this record could be interesting for you:

AMENDOLOR BANTOLO ( Bartolo right) PASSENGER Labourer
AMENDOLOR GUISEPPE PASSENGER Labourer
that could be Amendola Giuseppe; better: from direct reading of original ship manifest is Giuseppe Amendola http://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/1889 ... 94ori8.gif
I believe they was brothers... Bartolo ( or Bartolomeo: complete first name)is no in australian voters list, so maybe back in Italy.. maybe they coming from Amalfi, near Napoli... just a my idea...

ship ORIENT, arrival 23RD APRIL, 1889 - GLASGOW, J.K. RIDLER, MASTER, BURTHEN 5365 TONS
FROM THE PORT OF LONDON TO SYDNEY, NEW SOUTH WALES

source: Source: State Records Authority of New South Wales: Shipping Master's Office; Passengers Arriving 1855 - 1922; NRS13278, [X146-147] reel 441. Transcribed by Lyn Mulcahy.

hoping helpful, regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
venice
Rookie
Rookie

Post by venice »

Peter,

finally I have got some information,but not form the Archives.Instead from the historical society.

Guiseppe Amendola Born in Amalfi 1857.Father Nicholas Amendola Mother
Maria Vitel,unable to give the birth dates.Father was a sea captain.
According to records he travelled to France 1884 with the authority of the Port of Castellemore.

Regards Venice
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi venice, great find! so he was born in Amalfi, as my idea! very good! I hope that peter read this postings..best regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Venice and Suanj I did read of your your accomplishments. I am looking forward to the discovering more about the Venice family. =Peter=
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Peter you are a wonderful friend, always and always: WONDERFUL!
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
venice
Rookie
Rookie

Post by venice »

Thankyou Suanj,

I have not had much success reading the manifest lists.I will ask my father though if Guiseppe had a brother.May have more family to trace now.

Regards Venice
venice
Rookie
Rookie

Post by venice »

Peter

also meant to tell you Guiseppe was discharged from the navy in 1880after being there from the age of 14

Regards Venice
venice
Rookie
Rookie

Post by venice »

Where do you start to trace sea captains in Italy.?

Name:Nicolas Amendola,born around 1837 and I am assuming that he died before 1884 with the infomation that I have found.Wife Maria Vitel.
Came from Amalfi.

Also have found many references to able seaman,what does this actually mean?as my gggf by marriage Battisto Sposito born 1836 Naples is recorded as an able seaman
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

In 1836 Naples and all of Southern Italy and Sicily was under the control of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies (under Boubon control) and before 1815 Naples and that same area was under Napoleonic control with Sicily being independent.

Napoleon established civil record keeping, a civil service (shades of the mining engineer Fayol who established Bureaucracy) and created civil order. Thus by 1836 a title of able seaman would be recorded either in an identity certificate or work related document necessary in order to go to sea. This is conjecture on my part. =Peter=
~Peter~
venice
Rookie
Rookie

Post by venice »

Thanks Peter,

I had a feeling you would be able to answer that question.Where do you write to find the work related documents or do I just keep searching through shipping and mariners sites like I have been doing.

With reghards and thanks Venice
carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by carolinechurch »

An interesting book that you may enjoy, Peter.
Cod: A Biography of the Fish That Changed the World by Mark Kurlansky.
The relevance to Italian genealogy is nil, but why not...
Searching for my great x3 grandfather Raffaele CIACCIA, also known as Raphael/Ralph CHURCH. He was born in Napoli around 1792 and arrived in London before 1812 with his brother Saverio CIACCIA, where they married sisters Ann and Jane FURNEAUX. He switched between CHURCH and CIACCIA all his life, which has made it difficult enough to pin him down. I want to find his origin in Italy.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I will make it a point to browse the book since you make it somewhat tantlizing knowing what I periphrally know about the historic roots of Cod Fishing off the grand banks, flemish banks et all off the coast of New Foundland. Alas my knowledge starts with the portuguese. =Peter=
~Peter~